YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   My suspension squeaks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/my-suspension-squeaks-16505/)

stoutshady 08-27-2003 08:34 AM

My suspension squeaks

I have a 97 limited and the damn thing squeaks when I go over small bumps or when I stop suddenly. I think it is coming from the shocks but not sure. Has anyone else had squeaking issues? It's driving me nuts, I wish I could dip the whole truck in oil to get rid of the noise.

Also, my AC does not blow out cold air. It is not exactly warm but there is barely any coolness coming out. Does it sound like I just need to refill the freon? Obviously I need to take it in to get looked at, but I just want some thoughts on this. Thanks.

Beachrunner 08-27-2003 11:56 AM

I have a, somewhat constant, squeak coming from the front driver's side wheel (almost more of a metal rubbing sound). I'm assuming the wear indicators on my brake pads are starting to touch the rotors, but I've only had the pads on for about a year. Hopefully I can pull the wheel of this weekend and check it out.

outdoorfever 08-27-2003 01:14 PM

i have a similar problem. its a sqeaky sound when i hit tiny imperfections in the road and such. but i know what caused it. i believe its a slightly torqued frame and or suspension, from when i ran into the garage with my bike on top:bang: :pat:

Lurch 08-27-2003 01:42 PM

Yeah, my front end squeaks TERRIBLY when I go over speed bumps, over railroad tracks, etc. I have no idea what's squeaking, but hope that it's the springs or shocks.

Since I'm planning on replacing both soon, I'm not too concerned about it. If, after the replacement with SAWs, I still hear the noise, I'll be more than a little irritated.

I know that doesn't help your squeak, but you DID ask if anyone else has that problem ... :D

As for the AC, I just recently noticed the same thing. When I took it in for service (expecting a recharge or something simple) I ended up $600 lighter! :readit: It had something to do with a fan somewhere. I didn't have the stomach to look at the details of the bill.

Good luck, bud.

Paul H. 08-27-2003 03:23 PM

Replace your shocks, my wifes car is doing that too only hers has struts instead of shocks. As for your a/c, you probably have a leak somewhere. It will have to be fixed before you recharge it. Good luck.

Fink 08-27-2003 05:58 PM

My Runner squeks HORRIBLE when braking or going over bumps. I found it is worse when braking.

With the skidplate there is a hose hanging down, if you trace it back towards the passenger side door you will see that it scrapes up against another hose as well as a big metal pipe lookin thing. Its hard to explain, I have tried greasing it, zip ties, EVERYTHING! Next I'm going to put foam rubber on every metal piece that it contacts and see how that works.

I will let you know if I learn any more about it, sorry I can't be more specific about the parts that are involved. All I know is that its a hose that connect to the bottom of the radiator and head back towards the passenger side door.

Anyway, let us know if you find anything and I will do the same for you :)

Fink:devil:

stoutshady 08-28-2003 08:28 AM

Thanks for the inputs guys, how much are new shocks gonna cost? The AC problem is killing me too, here in the Atlanta area it is so hot and muggy... I am afraid that the shop is gonna charge me a ridiculous amount of money to get it fixed cause with my luck a simple refill is not what I need. :pat:

DrummerDaveB 08-28-2003 10:14 AM

stoutshady:
Go to walmart, and buy a little A/C recharge kit. Get the one with a gauge so you know you arent over-filling it.
Its less than $25.

Fill it up, and if it fixes your problem, then great. Cold air once again. :bigok: If it fixes it, but only for a few weeks/months, then you have a leak. Then you can decide if you want to take it in, or just plug another can into it and see how long it lasts.
If you fill it, but still not cold, then you could have a bad compressor, condensor, fan, etc. $$$$

stoutshady 08-28-2003 10:32 AM

Hey thanks DrummerDave for the tip, I will stop by the ole Mart on my way home and see what happens...

PoBoy 08-28-2003 10:43 AM

Check your swaybar bushings too before you go out and spend big $$$.

Mad Chemist 08-28-2003 01:34 PM

Poboy,

Off-topic, looks like you're going SAS- are you going to leave the set-up in the back as-is with coils and shocks?

Cebby 08-28-2003 01:47 PM

Mine squeeks when pushed a bit, not normally squeeky. I think its the PP coils... :dunno:

Paul H. 08-28-2003 03:11 PM

Originally posted by stoutshady
Thanks for the inputs guys, how much are new shocks gonna cost? The AC problem is killing me too, here in the Atlanta area it is so hot and muggy... I am afraid that the shop is gonna charge me a ridiculous amount of money to get it fixed cause with my luck a simple refill is not what I need. :pat:
Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend: Bilstiens are the most popular followed by Ranchos and Pro-Comps. Bilstiens run about $60, Rancho 5000's about $40, Pro-Comps about the same. Don't let the dealer fix your AC, take it to an independant shop. Hope this helps.

Cebby 08-28-2003 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend: Bilstiens are the most popular followed by Ranchos and Pro-Comps. Bilstiens run about $60, Rancho 5000's about $40, Pro-Comps about the same. Don't let the dealer fix your AC, take it to an independant shop. Hope this helps.
Don't forget the Edelbrocks...

Paul H. 08-28-2003 03:15 PM

Sorry Cebby, Edelbrocks also. I think that they run for about $70 if I remember right.

Cebby 08-28-2003 03:24 PM

I was saying that on Corey's behalf. :booty:

I'm a firm beliver in Bils (pun intended) :D

Darren 08-28-2003 03:45 PM

I bet my sqeak is louder than all of yours combined, as a few who have heard mine recently can probably attest. :shocked: :scared: :eeek:

My stupid driver side RaceRunner sucks! Sway-A-Ways are cheap! :P WD40 only lasts for about a day. I need to get some good stuff . . . like a replacement!

Lucky 08-28-2003 11:59 PM

I reckon its dry bushes. You can check this by spraying around the bushes with WD40 or equivalent and check if the squeak goes. I've had this on every car I've ever had when the weather has got dry and warm.

You should then lub them with some rubber lubricant as the WD40 dries out and the squeak comes back.

Cheers

Paul H. 08-29-2003 09:00 AM

Dry bushes? Squeaking? :eeek: Mine don't squeak, they just grow real fast.:D

Fink 08-29-2003 11:14 AM

I bet if you sprayed some WD on your bushes they would stop growing...they may not be as nice and green as they once were but oh well, no more trimming!

Fink:devil: