YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   lining up timing belt marks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/lining-up-timing-belt-marks-189767/)

y2kltdsport 08-22-2009 10:18 AM

lining up timing belt marks

hi guys I'm in the middle of the t/b w/pump job, putting on t. belt,I am at tdc have cams centered on their marks up top as well as crank mark lined up, my question is this, I lined up the belt perfect with the factory "L" "R" marks when it wraps around down to the crank, do I leave the crank lined up on the mark or do I turn it a little so it lines up with the mark on the belt??? hope this is clear enough thanks for your help Mike

eric-the-red 08-22-2009 01:15 PM

If the teeth line up with the crank then I wouldn't worry too much about the painted mark on the belt. I've found the best way is start with the crank, then stretch the belt as much as you can by hand and put it on the driver side cam. Then stretch some more and put it on the other cam.

y2kltdsport 08-22-2009 07:01 PM

toppppp

noahrexion 08-23-2009 04:52 AM

Start with the crank, then cams, idler and then tensioner. Sometimes its quite difficult for some to do the tensioner last: easiest to leave the idler semi-loose and then do the tensioner, then finish with the idler.

As long as the teeth on the belt slip into the crank pulley and the marks on the cams are close to perfect (some belts are marked a bit off and some dead on) then you are fine. If you are off ANYwhere it will be visibly noticeable. As long as your crank is aligned properly and your cams are aligned properly and the belt fits, you are golden.

Make sure all the pulleys, teeth are clean and oil/coolant free give it a few revolutions and double check your timing marks and then put it all back together.

eddieleephd 08-30-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by noahrexion (Post 51211871)
Start with the crank, then cams, idler and then tensioner. Sometimes its quite difficult for some to do the tensioner last: easiest to leave the idler semi-loose and then do the tensioner, then finish with the idler.

As long as the teeth on the belt slip into the crank pulley and the marks on the cams are close to perfect (some belts are marked a bit off and some dead on) then you are fine. If you are off ANYwhere it will be visibly noticeable. As long as your crank is aligned properly and your cams are aligned properly and the belt fits, you are golden.

Make sure all the pulleys, teeth are clean and oil/coolant free give it a few revolutions and double check your timing marks and then put it all back together.

x2
I definitely found it easier to start at the crank and go counter clock wise!
the real bastard is removing that dang ac compressor!

I lined up the marks and got it all tight then turned the engine over a few times with the igniter disconnected brought it back to tdc and checked
"I believe the cog is marked for the belt and the fly wheel is marked for tdc on the timing mark!"