YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Help! brake warning light on (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/help-brake-warning-light-52626/)

gunracer 02-23-2005 04:24 PM

Help! brake warning light on

Just replaced the left front caliper assy. on my 95 4rnr. bled the brakes using a one man bleeder assy/ bottle. all seemed well until I started it and stepped on the pedal. went to the floor and then pumped up and the brakes feel like normal but the brake warning light will not go out.. what to do next???

Phssthpok 02-23-2005 04:25 PM

Hate to say it.. you need to re-bleed.

firemedic 02-23-2005 04:31 PM

There are two sensors which activate the light (pretty sure):
1) Brake fluid level sensor- either level is low or sensor is stuck/defective
2) Parking brake sensor- activated when the handle is pulled, either it is defective or you need to check it is properly positioned

The other possibility is, if the alternator is on it's way out, it can cause havoc with the dash "idiot" lights.

gunracer 02-23-2005 04:56 PM

I think the problem is from letting the brake pedal come up with out closing off the bleeder valve.. what do Ya think?? should I bleed the whole system or just the wheel I worked on?/

firemedic 02-23-2005 04:59 PM

Shouldn't really have anything to do with the brake warning light, unless you did not refill the brake fluid reservoir.

Rick F. 02-23-2005 05:25 PM

I had a 2nd gen that was very sensitive to the fluid level being right up to the line on the resorvoir... no less. The addition of about a teasponful past where it looked like it was full was about enough to extinguish the light. I heard the same from other 2nd gen owners. There are threads about it.

dragon564 02-23-2005 05:45 PM

Rebleed the entire system just to be safe...IMHO I will not drive anything that has a possible brake problem....that and Rick F has a very good point that sensor is very sensitive....firemedic is correct on the two items that can get that light to come on.....

Robinhood150 02-23-2005 06:49 PM

I think you've got two different problems.

1. not enough brake fluid causing the light
2. air in the system causing the pedal to fall to the floor.

firemedic 02-23-2005 07:14 PM

:good: What he said...

dragon564 02-23-2005 11:00 PM

Update, I just went out to mine and made a point to check.....

with the e-brake pulled out the light comes on with the turn of the key
when the brake is in the light is off (DUH not trying to be a wise guy here)
When the fluid cap is off the light comes on
move the float up and the light goes out....
Note: on mine there was a sweet spot that will allow the light to come on but it was much dimmer than normal I would put it at about half btween the high and low lines.
I pulled the ALT belt and the light did not come on....

There you go.