YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Gauge and dash backlighting (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/gauge-dash-backlighting-117226/)

Stive2699 01-12-2009 09:27 AM

Im pretty sure I busted my cig light trying to get it out also. I just bought one of those led lights with wires on the back that they sell on that autoillumination site and wired it onto the back of my cig lighter. I mean its not clean but its in the dash so who cares... I forgot to post pics after I replaced all mine. Ill snap a few soon and post them up along with my HID's i just put in. Also had a problem with the led not fitting tight into the keyring so i taped it up in there and it hasnt come loose since.

bootown 01-12-2009 10:45 AM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't notice that some of the leds had wires coming out the back.

For my keyring I used a tri-power from autolumination. Removed the whole keyring from the car to make it easy. Squeezed the 3 leds together gently to get it through the opening, then spaced them back out and was just barely able to the the tri-power to lock back in.

pattycakes77 01-12-2009 10:48 AM

yeah, what's with the #74s not fitting tight? on my '98 4runner, the socket on the left side of the heat/AC controls is a little different than the one on the right and it does not want to stay in there. i've tried several things to try to lock it in there better but the heat from the bulb usually wears it down and it pops out just enough not to work. same with the #74 in the shifter, when i hit a bump it will flicker and go out and then randomly come back on again. all the other #74 bulbs fit just fine for me but those two are problematic.

Fo_SheeZy 01-12-2009 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bootown (Post 51026082)
Fo_SheeZy...all three bulbs I tried were 74's. Part of the problem is the length of the bulbs which I can probably work around. The other problem is getting the bulb to hit the contacts in the plastic connector. I'm going to bend over and stop buy Toyota tomorrow to get another bulb/connector or two to try some new things.

I drilled out the center of the connector I have trying to work some magic with my lengthy 74's. Didn't work. When my neo wedges come in I'll try to pull off the base on a neo and attach the bulb somehow. Thinking that may work and fit too.

pattycakes...pictures would be great! Nice custom job on your last bezel...that's impressive work.

I see what your saying, you got the bulb into the socket but it's to big to fit into the cig lighter. I had the same problem, but I used a little tape to secure and it worked perfectly!

mikekow80 01-14-2009 12:52 PM

Does anyone have a list of lamps for '01 4Runners? I see the lists for the 98-99s but I've also read there are some change between years. Just want to make sure I get all the right lamps the first time. Or maybe just a site that actually lists the lamps out. Thanks!

Mike

bootown 01-18-2009 01:23 PM

Does anyone have advice on what 74's would be best for the gauge cluster lights? (P, R, N, D, 2, L for example) Fo_SheeZy's look great. Thinking maybe a single led 74, but there are so many choices and I don't want to go too dark or blinding bright.:D

mike - I can post a list of what I used for my '02 hopefully by the end of the week. Just have the gauge cluster and cig bulb left.

bootown 01-18-2009 07:19 PM

mike here's what I come up with for my '02 Limited:

Shifter: 74
Digital Climate Control: 2 - neowedge type A (3mm), 2 - type B (4mm)
Defrost/ECT: neowedge type A
Rear window: neowedge type A
Ash Tray: 74
Key Ring: 74
Map Lights: 2 - Ba9
Domes: 2 - Festoons
Glove box: 74
Vanity: 2 - 31mm fuse bulb

Not positive on the following but pretty sure:
Gauge Illumination: 3 - 24's
4WD: 3 - neowedge Type B
All other gauge lights: 74's
Blinkers: 2 - 74

A note on the digital climate control: There are one (probably two) lights that I didn't try to get to. They are most likely soldered. One light is the fresh/recycle air button and I believe there is another similar button on the upper right. Maybe this summer I'll get to it. Just a warning if you don't have soldering experience replacing the DCC if you screw up is quite expensive. Problem is the fresh/recycle button is always on so it will probably be annoying if everything else is a different color.

Power window, security, passenger seatbelt are all soldered.

I think that covers everything. Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread!!!! :bigok:

ozziesironmanoffroad 01-18-2009 07:32 PM

i wish someone would post this kind of thing for a '88 pickup.... lol,id like to know exactly what bulbs i need and how many

3w41d 01-18-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad (Post 51033742)
i wish someone would post this kind of thing for a '88 pickup.... lol,id like to know exactly what bulbs i need and how many

i'm pretty sure the gauge has 3 #194s in it. i'm about to swap them on my 1991 so i'll let you know how it goes

toylocost 01-18-2009 09:01 PM

I agree i didnt read the whole thread but this would be cool to do in older vehicles

(like a 1990 4runner)

toylocost 01-18-2009 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3w41d (Post 51033788)
i'm pretty sure the gauge has 3 #194s in it. i'm about to swap them on my 1991 so i'll let you know how it goes

Maybe it has been covered. I guess I'll read something.

mikekow80 01-18-2009 09:36 PM

Thanks Bootown! I gave up on waiting for I just went for it! Looks like I got pretty close. Might be short a couple 74s and totally missed the 4wd neowedges. I was the most concerned about the number and size of neo wedges for climate control. That seemed to be the thing that has differed the most between posts.

What is the normal turn around time for autolumination.com?

bobzworld 01-20-2009 01:26 PM

can someone link me to a thread that show me how to take apart my 02 4runner climate control? i cant find it for the life of me.... 3 bulbs are out and i would love to change them but i dont know how.

jaybur_racing 01-22-2009 07:58 AM

I like the idea of LED's and they def. look cool.

BUT are they annoyingly bright? It seems like if you were on a really long drive, the bright lights would end up being a pain in the A$$.

Can you dim the lights, or is that not good for an LED ?

thanks

psraff 01-22-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaybur_racing (Post 51037182)
BUT are they annoyingly bright? It seems like if you were on a really long drive, the bright lights would end up being a pain in the A$$.

thanks

I have red LEDs in mine. The only thing that is super bright are the blinkers. But where I like to have my steering wheel set the top intercepts the light. That is the only issue with mine, and I knew that going into it. As for dimming... I don't know. Never needed to.

On the climate controlls, I actually painted the back of the cover with chrome color paint. It helps reflect and spread the light out so it's more even. There's pics of mine on here somewhere... I tried to do a quick search for it, but no luck...

pdyebrasil 01-22-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaybur_racing (Post 51037182)
I like the idea of LED's and they def. look cool.

thanks

The LEDs are definitely brighter than the stock lighting, but I would not classify it as annoyingly bright. Plus the dimmer still works with them, and as far as I know it doesn't damage the LEDs. I don't run mine at full brightness. Only difference is that they don't dim all the way down, once you get to a certain dimness they just turn off completely.

bootown 01-22-2009 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mikekow80 (Post 51033829)
What is the normal turn around time for autolumination.com?

I think I ordered mine on a Sunday and had them on Wednesday/Thursday. Their return policy sucks though. Superbrightleds is much better.

pdyebrasil 01-22-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by bootown (Post 51037414)
I think I ordered mine on a Sunday and had them on Wednesday/Thursday. Their return policy sucks though. Superbrightleds is much better.

Amen on the return policy. I had to replace one of my LEDs and the new one lasted a day or two before crapping out on me. I e-mailed them and they said I had to ship it back to them in a BOX (they shipped them to me in an envelope) and then they'd test it and then send a replacement if it was indeed faulty. I didn't even bother.

toylocost 01-22-2009 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil (Post 51037447)
Amen on the return policy. I had to replace one of my LEDs and the new one lasted a day or two before crapping out on me. I e-mailed them and they said I had to ship it back to them in a BOX (they shipped them to me in an envelope) and then they'd test it and then send a replacement if it was indeed faulty. I didn't even bother.

Haha. You should have gotten a refrigerator box and filled it with a bunch of packing peanuts and put the leds in there somewhere. Crate it up in wood and send it freight. They'd have to get a forklift to move it. That would be hilarious.

I'm bored. :think:

medicinman 01-28-2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bootown (Post 51033732)
mike here's what I come up with for my '02 Limited:

Shifter: 74
Digital Climate Control: 2 - neowedge type A (3mm), 2 - type B (4mm)
Defrost/ECT: neowedge type A
Rear window: neowedge type A
Ash Tray: 74
Key Ring: 74
Map Lights: 2 - Ba9
Domes: 2 - Festoons
Glove box: 74
Vanity: 2 - 31mm fuse bulb

Not positive on the following but pretty sure:
Gauge Illumination: 3 - 24's
4WD: 3 - neowedge Type B
All other gauge lights: 74's
Blinkers: 2 - 74

A note on the digital climate control: There are one (probably two) lights that I didn't try to get to. They are most likely soldered. One light is the fresh/recycle air button and I believe there is another similar button on the upper right. Maybe this summer I'll get to it. Just a warning if you don't have soldering experience replacing the DCC if you screw up is quite expensive. Problem is the fresh/recycle button is always on so it will probably be annoying if everything else is a different color.

Power window, security, passenger seatbelt are all soldered.

I think that covers everything. Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread!!!! :bigok:

So from what I've read (for the past hour now...lol), those should be the right bulbs for my '05? Obviously, I don't want to have to take my dash off more than I have to. Thanks in advance.