YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Gauge and dash backlighting (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/gauge-dash-backlighting-117226/)

89-4run 06-07-2008 02:36 PM

Bleak - for the speedo guages, all you did was put in white LEDs? Anything else involved? I need to do this to my 2002, this thread makes me jealous :)

Ironmike4x4 06-08-2008 11:40 AM

Wanted to finally post mine up... http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ictures010.jpg

With the scan gauge
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ictures009.jpg

My hint though is to double check your order. I thought I had clicked for blue LEDs but intstead clicked for red. I do like it though. Next I plan on replacing all of my dome lamp bulbs and map lamp bulbs with LEDs.

3w41d 07-09-2008 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine are done

Attachment 173881

gastate9 07-22-2008 05:42 AM

Check engine light bulb blown, need to replace...

Hi, I have a 2000 4Runner Limited and my check engine light bulb is blown out on my 2000 Toyota 4runner. It is the time of the year I have to do my emissions, and the check engine light, working, is one of the things they check for. I am in need of instructions or where I can get instructions to find out how to: dismantle the dash to get to the gauge cluster, get to the check engine light, and last, replace the check engine light.

Thanks(in advance) to Anyone Who Takes The Time to Help!!!

Andrey 07-22-2008 07:47 AM

gastate9,

getting to the "check engine light shouldn't be too difficult. I don't have a write up, but basically you have 4 large screws under your steering column. Take those off and the the panel. Once that is done, you will have 3 screws that hold dash bezel and 4 screws that hold the gages. Once you take those off, you should be able to pull the gages (disconneting attached connectors) and replace the blown bulb. It's pretty easy to figure out once you start on it.

-- Andrey

stephenmarr 07-27-2008 08:19 AM

hi guys ive done my bulb replacement but when i reinsatlled the instrument cluster and now the odometer doesnt work everything else is fine the rev guage fuel guage speedometer etc. what would the problem be?

3w41d 07-30-2008 03:02 AM

make sure everything is securely plugged back in. i had a loose connection that caused the last number of my odometer to not show

XxbMagicxX97 08-08-2008 10:19 AM

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...30_25_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...30_26_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...30_29_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...30_28_full.jpg

The red looks good, i wish I could switch between blue and red.

pdyebrasil 08-08-2008 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by stephenmarr (Post 50883999)
hi guys ive done my bulb replacement but when i reinsatlled the instrument cluster and now the odometer doesnt work everything else is fine the rev guage fuel guage speedometer etc. what would the problem be?

Did it work before you put everything back together? LEDs are polarized, so that one bulb might be plugged in backwards. Try switching it around and see if it works.

If that's not it it could be a lose connection as was said before, or a bad LED. Try one of the other bulbs in the same spot and see if it fires up.

stephenmarr 08-08-2008 11:26 AM

all lights on the dash work fine and everything else is working fine the only thing not working is the miles are not clocking up.
checked connections and all seems to be fine.

XxbMagicxX97 08-08-2008 05:12 PM

this kind of gets away from the gauge and dash topic, but i was working in my glove box (part of the dash i guess :] ) but somethings not right in there. I have a #74 color changing LED in there right now, but can't get it to light. It fits a little loose but I have it in there and I know some others have had lights that were a bit loose. I've tried switching the bulb around to reverse the polarity if it was necessary, and it just wont work.

Now that I think of it, i dont know that the bulb that was in there before worked, so that leads me to another question - Any ideas where to check if its not at the point of the light?

Thanks in advance

magic

pdyebrasil 08-08-2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by XxbMagicxX97 (Post 50894494)
Now that I think of it, i dont know that the bulb that was in there before worked, so that leads me to another question - Any ideas where to check if its not at the point of the light?
magic

Well the first thing to do is get a voltmeter and see if there is any power at the bulb holder. Since that light turns on when the glove box is opened, I would check the switch/trigger that determines if the glove box is open. Not sure what it looks like but it could either be stuck (if it's a mechanical switch) or the electrical contacts could be dirty/corroded...

Sloan 11-24-2008 10:13 PM

sorry to bring up an old thread, but since i now have money in my bank account i'm about to order some bulbs!

so i need 3 #24s for my dash
3 #73s for my key ring, cig lighter, and shifter
2 neo wedge a and 2 neo wedge b for the climate control

and are BA9s the right bulb for the map lights?
and is 3175 the bulb for the done lights?

Andrey 11-25-2008 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sloan (Post 50980878)
sorry to bring up an old thread, but since i now have money in my bank account i'm about to order some bulbs!

so i need 3 #24s for my dash
3 #73s for my key ring, cig lighter, and shifter
2 neo wedge a and 2 neo wedge b for the climate control

and are BA9s the right bulb for the map lights?
and is 3175 the bulb for the done lights?

nope, 2001 and up takes all the same bulbs. You would need #74 bulbs:

3x for the dash
1x for the key ring
1x for transmission

and 3 neo wedges for the climate control.

pattycakes77 11-25-2008 04:14 PM

this reminds me... does anyone have any issues with the #74 bulbs fitting snugly in their sockets? in my '98 4runner, i've tried using some clay, rubber cement, and RTV to try and keep those bulbs in their sockets, but i'm still getting them blinking off/on when i hit bumps or just whenever they feel like going out. i didn't know if anyone had tried using a slightly smaller base bulb or something else to get them to stay connected fully. anyone? :D

Andrey 11-25-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77 (Post 50981522)
this reminds me... does anyone have any issues with the #74 bulbs fitting snugly in their sockets? in my '98 4runner, i've tried using some clay, rubber cement, and RTV to try and keep those bulbs in their sockets, but i'm still getting them blinking off/on when i hit bumps or just whenever they feel like going out. i didn't know if anyone had tried using a slightly smaller base bulb or something else to get them to stay connected fully. anyone? :D

Where did you get your bulbs from? I have quite a few #74s and they all seem fine. No problems at all.

pattycakes77 11-25-2008 05:55 PM

at first i thought it was because i bought from some one on ebay, but i've also got #74s from superbrightleds and i have the same issue. it's mainly the two bulbs behind my heat/AC and in my gear shift. i got some that said they "fired" in all directions and they have definite hot spots, so maybe i'll just replace with the bulbs with 3 angled diodes and hope the base fits better than what i got.

skrassow 11-25-2008 11:02 PM

I LOVE LED THREADS!! This same mod gets kicked around on the Corvette Forum all the time...something like 30 pages in one thread, and another quickly reaching that!:eeek:

A few possible solutions to the hotspot issue: One is to "shave" the LED bulb. LEDs are a very directional light...meaning they emit light pretty much straight out. But by shaving the bulb with a dremel, the rough surface helps to reflect a little light. I had mixed results with this, but some claimed to have good results from it.

Another solution used in the Vette was to fabricate another holder and add more LEDs to whatever panel you are lighting up. Remember LEDs will need a resistor to keep them from burning out. Most LEDs I think are somewhere around 3v max...so you have to tame down the 12v current coming in. The prefabbed units from autolumination and such already have the resistors built in. By using more lights and more resistors to dim them, some guys were able to get a more even lighting effect. This is a lot of soldering and such though...and my soldering sucks!

I havnt done this to my Taco yet...but I think Im going to give it a shot when I get back to the states, now that you guys have done all the hard work:D

Sloan 11-26-2008 09:14 AM

the one LED that i did do in my gearshift is the 74 patty and yes its very loose. my bulbs came from autolumination.

and how the hell do you remove your map lights? i tried pulling them things out on my work break last night and could not get either to come out!!

pdyebrasil 11-26-2008 01:42 PM

In my '98 the whole cover comes off of the map lights, not just the clear lenses. Took a while to figure it out. '01 is different of course but should be somewhat the same story...