YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   The first dent is always the toughest! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/first-dent-always-toughest-36979/)

UKMyers 07-19-2004 06:59 PM

The first dent is always the toughest!

Well my luck finally ran out. I managed to put a nice crease across both the doors on the passenger side of my Runner. Man I feel like a moron it sucks! I was wheeling at night and didn't quite have the clearance I thought I did on a tree that was angled. Way too many shoulda, woulda, coulda's in this case. I'm sparing the details as I already feel bad enough about it. I barely rubbed it but whatever brace is right behind the door skin made a perfect crease that sticks out not in from the door. Both doors are toast I'm sure and will need new skins. I've never had any body work done before. Does anyone have a clue what this might cost me? I have full coverage insurance but a $500 deductable. I really don't want to claim something like that anyways. I am going to try and get downtown for an estimate tomorrow. It's really not that bad but I am kinda a perfectionist when it comes to my Runner and I usually flip out about a scratch so a dent is pretty big for me. The one door has some rust on the bottom of it too so I'm thinking about maybe seeing if I can just find some doors at a junkyard. I'm sure they'll take a nice chunk especially if they will only sell them complete which I'm thinking will be the case.... Attached is a pic of the damage.........
http://pics.montypics.com/nkawtg/200...92333_Dent.jpg

shazaam 07-19-2004 07:05 PM

body damage looks cool .. touch up the paint and keep rolling

r0cky 07-19-2004 07:33 PM

i agree with sdastg1 ... all those little things have stories, like scars, and add character to your truck. that's not to say i didn't cry after i got a huge scratch across the entire length of the passenger side of my truck, but ... just touch it up and it'll grow on you. you are right - it's the first dent/scratch that is the hardest, but after awhile, you'll feel better about it because it can never be another "first" dent, so anything else will be easier.

fish 07-19-2004 07:44 PM

No longer a virgin. :readit:

r0cky 07-19-2004 07:45 PM

haha. ;)

Bud 07-19-2004 07:50 PM

leave the dent. Get some sliders and a "got body damage?" sticker....
and wheel harder.... :banger:

UKMyers 07-19-2004 09:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. It wouldnt' be so bad if it wasnt such a stupid mistake....Live and learn I guess.... My sliders are sitting here powdercoated and everything just gotta find a reputable shop here in town to have em welded on.

calamaridog 07-19-2004 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Thanks for the replies. It wouldnt' be so bad if it wasnt such a stupid mistake....Live and learn I guess.... My sliders are sitting here powdercoated and everything just gotta find a reputable shop here in town to have em welded on.

Sliders wouldn't have done anything anyways. When you play hard, you pay hard!
:bowdown:

914runner 07-19-2004 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by fish
No longer a virgin. :readit:

:good:

az4x4runner 07-19-2004 10:59 PM

My first two dents were trees, and stupid mistakes. I had one in my bumper (gone now, got a new bumper thanks to a Ford Explorer) from thinking I could make a really tight turn in the snow without backing up, I probably could have if it was dry but I slid about 6 inches or so and hit a tree. Still got one in my drivers side rear door from a tree branch, also from making a turn too sharp. It was dark and I didn't notice a branch sticking out.

Anyway, you get use to them I guess, I hardly notice my dent anymore.

FirstToy 07-19-2004 11:20 PM

Tough break UKMyers, your truck is one of my favorites on Yt.

Consider DentWizards? I don't know if they can fix it but I've used them in the past and 45 minutes ain't bad to fix a big ol' dent to look perfect!

I agree, you earned the damage tho- don't sweat it.

colsoncj 07-20-2004 03:53 AM

I'd have to say leave the dent... I know it may not look the best, but like previously said, there won't be anymore "first dents" and it does add character. You were wondering about an estimate: If I had to guess (which this is a definately a guess) I'd say doors in a boneyard are going to run you about 100-250 each. Add paint to that ~300-600 and that should ballpark it. Hopefully if you do get it done you can find a good deal. Sorry bout the luck

waskillywabbit 07-20-2004 04:37 AM

Descartes

"I think; therefore I am."

"I wheel; therefore I dent." :bigok:

Yep, the first dent is always the hardest :cry:, but the ones after that are a lot more fun! :hillbill:

:guitar:

EDGE 07-20-2004 05:23 AM

I somehow managed to dent the inside of my truck, I got over it cause it's hard to see and when the rear hatch is closed you would never know

Ric 07-20-2004 06:07 AM

I agree

the first is always tough, i still have mine, darn tree, lol, i think it does add character, :dunno: but its DOES show that you actually take a 4x4 4wheeling. heck i may try giving DentWizards a try, i also love to keep mine in A-1 shape.

roger 07-20-2004 08:28 AM

If you decide to fix it I think putting new skins on would be cheaper than buying doors at a junkyard. I did it once on a Honda CRX and the skins (and other panels, for that matter) were actually pretty cheap. It was easy too, so you might consider doing the skins yourself then taking it to a body shop for painting. Look at the FSM to see what all's involved.

BT17R 07-20-2004 09:03 AM

At least you didn't dent your airplane. Those stories are usually written by others! Sorry about your 'Runner, but the dents are shiny.

gwhayduke 07-20-2004 09:46 AM

Mine has 4 hail dents (golf-ball size), a crease from some construction a-hole who doesn't know to secure a ladder before he gets on the interstate, miscellaneous parking lot dings, a real odd ding I ain't figgered out yet, and three little dings from my knuckles when I was braggin' about how great my 4Runner is.

Next summer, I think I'll take EVERYTHING off of it, take the dings out, take off the runnin' boards, lift it, paint it, and put some nice color coordinated bushwacker flares on it.

Dings are just scars. Chicks dig scars...Unless the chick is your wife. :rockin:

MvCrash 07-20-2004 01:44 PM

Hey, leave the dent, buy the little stickers that look lie bullet holes, they are cool.

Scofco 07-20-2004 02:16 PM

I'll let you all know when I finally get a dent :D
Still haven't managed to misjudge anything while wheeling. I kick ass.