YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   A/C is broken (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c-broken-113082/)

Shirleyda4runner 04-13-2007 08:53 AM

A/C is broken

Ive searched the forums the best I can but I cant decide which way to word the search... ac..a/c...air conditioner...air conditioning... either way the thing that is sposed to keep me cool is not working, and so I'm going to post my question.

I had a 3 hour drive yesterday and I think something may have gone wrong on the way home, I try and turn on the air conditioning today and nothing. The light lights up and the fuse isnt broken and the compressor is turning. I've deducted that I must have a leak. I havent charged the system since I had it replaced 2 years ago. My question is can the freon run almost instantly without a leak in the system or would it slowly be less and less cool?

Also, if there are any other things I could do a visual inspection of please help. Thanks again, hopefully this is an easier fix.

NaeSLaS 04-13-2007 09:23 AM

if it had a leak, then it can all leak out overnight (well, enough to cause it not to turn).

At the same time, if the pressure of the freon isn't to the right amount, then the AC relay shouldn't activate the compressor.

mkgarrison5 04-13-2007 09:42 AM

do you hear a "tic" when the compressor comes on?? or does the compresser even come on?

Shirleyda4runner 04-13-2007 10:31 AM

no tic that i remember, The truck doesnt even go to a higher RPM when i turn it on. Is it the compressor then?

MTL_4runner 04-13-2007 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shirleyda4runner (Post 50500315)
no tic that i remember, The truck doesnt even go to a higher RPM when i turn it on. Is it the compressor then?

No, that means you probably have a leak and all the refrigerant is gone. The lines have a pressure switch that won't let the clutch come on if there isn't enough refrigerant in the system and you might damage the compressor. AC stuff is not a DIY job, take it to a shop and have them pull a vacuum on the system and see if it holds. If yes, refill with R-134. If not, start looking for the leak.

Ironmike4x4 04-14-2007 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner (Post 50500318)
AC stuff is not a DIY job, take it to a shop and have them pull a vacuum on the system and see if it holds. If yes, refill with R-134. If not, start looking for the leak.

I'm glad someone else knows this.... also you are supposed to have an AC license to even work on it. Also if a shop tells you they cannot "top off" refrigerant because it's against the law then tell them about the EPA Customer Rights to Refrigerants regulations. Then they will be stuttering. It states unless the local or state laws prohibit it then a customer can have refrigerant "topped off." Like MTL says, take it to a shop and have them to pull a vacuum to determine a leak. If there is one they should put dye and oil and recharge. Come back a few days later and they can use a UV light to find where the leak is coming from.

infiltrator 08-13-2007 06:18 PM

okay, i need help on my ac

it gets really hot out here in california, and i love my 4runner ac it works GREAT.

but, one night im driving home and its hot, and i try the air, nothing.
it blows air, but hot air, and the heater of course still works.

what can i do? i dont hear a click?

are compressors expensive?

infiltrator 08-13-2007 06:52 PM

wow, no one can help me?

RacerX 08-14-2007 06:53 AM

I have heard about quite a few people using ES12 over R134a.... I fixed and recharged a friends 86 BMW with the stuff and it is pretty impressive, mainly b/c the compressor didn't seem to have so much drag on the system... especially when the crank fan is spinning with the 100 deg weather we have.

Belize Off Road Team 08-14-2007 07:03 AM

mine is in trouble too, i have had no A/C for about 7-9 months now, but here in Belize it is not easy to find someone qualified. if you find out the problem, let me know so i can try it on mine

Hieb 09-19-2012 11:32 AM

Check your belts. If there's no drag on the engine that may be your first clue. If all check out then start investigating the piping. Look for Signs of leaks. Ex oil residue. If nothing still take it in and have a system check then a pressure check.