YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Besides Supercharger how to increase power (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/besides-supercharger-how-increase-power-11198/)

ChitRod 05-23-2003 11:39 AM

Besides Supercharger how to increase power

is there an inexpensive way to increase power even slightly?

Greedy 05-23-2003 11:42 AM

Do a search on the forum for the "Deckplate Mod" and "Intake silencer Removal". These are cheap and effective ways to help the engine breath better..

Mad Chemist 05-23-2003 11:44 AM

Lose weight...:laugh:

ChitRod 05-23-2003 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I'm not that fat.

Mad Chemist 05-23-2003 12:15 PM

No offense intended- its friday and I've had a loooong weak, so I'm a bit loopy at the moment.

ChitRod 05-23-2003 12:32 PM

none taken at all I know it's a joke when i see one. Hell if I removed the rear seats, took out the carpet, that would probably make a hell of a difference in speed.

Mad Chemist 05-23-2003 12:34 PM

Seriously though, the deckplate mod, ISR mod, and a less restrictive air filter will make your engine quite a bit peppier for cheap.

Corey 05-23-2003 12:47 PM

Look in the Tech section here.

We have a few Deck Plate write-ups just waiting for you to read.

AgRunner06 05-23-2003 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Really he could, like this guy. This came up a while back in the off-topic section, but it's still pretty funny.

here

Just scroll down.

You could upgrade your exhaust system. Corey has some sound clips on his website of different mufflers.

You could put on a K&N. Lots of people have done this. I didn't because I have heard of people having trouble with their MAF sensor or AFM.

Then there is also the Deckplate and ISR mod.

Hopefully that was some help.

ChitRod 05-23-2003 12:56 PM

my only concern is that with the deckplate mod i'll screw something up.

oly884 05-23-2003 01:13 PM

Well, what type of toyota do you have and what engine do you have in it? That'll help get you started. With my 3.0L V-6 I just did intake. nothing special for my engine, get a free flow muffler and cat, intake, ignition, etc.

ChitRod 05-23-2003 01:32 PM

1996 4runner 3.4L

oly884 05-23-2003 01:55 PM

In that case I would go with the deckplate mod, the isr removal mod, and get either an exhaust system or a free flow cat and muffler. you'll definetly see some improvement from what I've heard.

Zubaltec 05-23-2003 04:07 PM

If you haven't done so already change your plugs and fuel filter.

ChitRod 05-24-2003 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I found the easiest way to gain some power. I'll put on one of these babies, I mean why not it works for all the civics doesn't it....ha ha.

midiwall 05-24-2003 10:25 PM

Originally posted by ChitRod
1996 4runner 3.4L
This is an easy engine to do the ISR mod on, it's very cheap (about $4) and easily reversible. The write-up is here:

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ntake/dr_z.htm

[**edit**] I had originally posted the wrong link above, which is where the comments in later messages came from. "oops"

I did it (I have the same engine/year) using plumbing end-caps and it works great. I'm looking at doing it "cleaner" by re-piping from the MAF to the manifold, but that's mostly just for looks.

Like other folks have said, if you did the Deckplate, Freeflow air filter (Amsoil or K&N) and ISR, you'll DEFINITELY feel it. None of it is hard to do, the only potential worry point is cutting the hole for the deckplate, but if you take your time, you'll be fine.

Have fun!

Mark

theronin 05-24-2003 10:26 PM

There is only one tried and true way to get hp.... NAWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!:pat:

ChitRod 05-24-2003 11:44 PM

Originally posted by mpulver
This is an easy engine to do the ISR mod on, it's very cheap (about $4) and easily reversible. The write-up is here:

http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0322802

I did it (I have the same engine/year) using plumbing end-caps and it works great. I'm looking at doing it "cleaner" by re-piping from the MAF to the manifold, but that's mostly just for looks.

Like other folks have said, if you did the Deckplate, Freeflow air filter (Amsoil or K&N) and ISR, you'll DEFINITELY feel it. None of it is hard to do, the only potential worry point is cutting the hole for the deckplate, but if you take your time, you'll be fine.

Have fun!

Mark

Yeah thanks Jackass if you don't want to help don't respond. But don't send me to a link claiming it's what I need ant it send me to a review on Jackass the movie.

L33T35T 4Runner 05-25-2003 05:10 AM

Originally posted by ChitRod
Yeah thanks Jackass if you don't want to help don't respond. But don't send me to a link claiming it's what I need ant it send me to a review on Jackass the movie.
he probably accadentally posted the wrong link :laugh:

Dr. Zhivago 05-25-2003 08:50 AM

I'm sure Mark posted the wrong link accidentally. He does that occasionally. :laugh:

You can find the links to the ISR mod article and the ORIGINAL write up for the DeckPlate mod by the person who pioneered it in my sig down below.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z