YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   backed into my sister's house today (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/backed-into-my-sisters-house-today-47852/)

Gadget 01-02-2005 07:39 AM

Go to the larger car dealers in your area and find out who they have to their "touch ups" of used vehicles. They bring little companies in that do amazing repairs right on the parking lot.

I watched this crew one day that did not speak a word of english repair a cut and crack in one of those plastic bumper covers and repaint it right there. I was very impressed. If you can find one of these companies to repair that bumper I think you will be pleased with the work and the cost.

Gadget

RinkRat 01-02-2005 09:57 AM

I brought it to the Toyota dealership and he said $300 at least after peeking at it for about 3 seconds. Then he said that if there was any further damage he would contact my insurance company for me. I got the hell out of there in a hurry before he had time to grab a bat or a sawzall.
Then I brought it to a local body shop that I hear is great and they said $175 after a lengthy inspection. (They suggested that I wait until the spring just in case something happened in the New England winter.) As TStango told me, $175 for a little happiness and peice of mind is nothing.

I was actually happy that the rear bumper extension was plastic. It popped off at the clips from the pressure and was hanging there. At first I almost s#!% myself but then after I saw how easy it was to pop it/clip it back on, I was relieved to say the least. Then I bought an abrasive cleaner (aardex) to remove all the gutter paint and it doesn't look bad at all. If you didn't know to look for it, it would be hard to notice.
If it were metal, it would have bent in and looked like a hunk of crap and I would have had to get it fixed right away, probably costing more too.
The plastic is slightly cracked above the bumper where it's clipped to the body, so I located a the piece on partznet.com for only $125. Don't think that's painted but the body shop was going to paint it over anyway (completely, because the paint it metallic) so without the repair it would probably be smart to just get the new part and have it painted.

And, If anyone likes hockey at all USA plays Russia tonight on ESPN2 at 8:30 eastern. They are 20 and under, but it's all players that will eventually be in the NHL. :cheers:

FirstToy 01-02-2005 10:26 AM

Rinkrat,
The OEM plastic pieces come painted from the factory- it should be plug-n-play. I would find that instead of having the shop paint it.

The OEM plastic clips are very expensive and there are several different sizes (color-coded) but your bodyshop will take care of that.

EDGE 01-02-2005 12:26 PM

Good deal to wait until after the winter, nothing like new paint and salt :P

MonsterMaxx 01-03-2005 01:55 PM

If it's replacement toyota parts you want call glen burnie.
I've never found anyone who'll beat their prices on Factory stuff.
Good guys to deal with.