YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/toyotech559s-1988-4runner-build-up-thread-229969/)

ToyoTech559 05-26-2013 08:52 PM

finally had a nice sunny day to finish cleaning my new to me 15x8.5 rims. had to painted them with my signature color "metallic charcoal"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...71236309_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...34924537_n.jpg

you can see the paint stages here
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...25972909_n.jpg

dry time, all glossed up and im not even gonna clear them. no need if done right
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...10025734_n.jpg

ChefYota4x4 05-26-2013 11:28 PM

Yeah! So glad you got some, they're gonna look great on there. .... Niece Job on the paint man, looks factory. ;)

Redeth005 05-27-2013 08:22 AM

Nice job on the paint job. Ill make sure to go to you when I find me a set of those rims. :laugh:

ChefYota4x4 05-27-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005 (Post 52080809)
Nice job on the paint job. Ill make sure to go to you when I find me a set of those rims. :laugh:

YEAH! Lol. ...

Actually Toyo, I was really thinking about this with my outlaw 2 wheels... The reason being I think it would match my sliders and bumpers being hammered black... It looks like a very similar color. I can't wait to see them on there! Yes, largely for selfish reasons, hahahahaha... But also because I think it will look sick against the white with your grey stripes! Eventually I will do the James Dean creations decals but in grey, because even though I think the gold looks a little better on it stock red... With the hammer black on the bumpers and sliders, as I said, and with a gray interior, .... I think it would look sick on my old Ruby. Lol

ToyoTech559 05-27-2013 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4 (Post 52080741)
Yeah! So glad you got some, they're gonna look great on there. .... Niece Job on the paint man, looks factory. ;)

i hope so. i been trying to find a set for the longest time. i didnt like them at 1st but over the years of driving the runner adding more and more weight. i noticed i needed to save some LBS where i can. the outlaws II are the lightest rims i found that will work for my application. when i brought these, i was told they are 15x8 but after cleaning the crap out of them, i discovered they are really 15x8.5. not a big deal but again i know the weight of the 15x8 and not 8.5. i will have to weight my steel and these alloy. hope i saved some weight. if not, i probably run them if they dont stick out too much hehe

Originally Posted by Redeth005 (Post 52080809)

heck yeah. i love painting rims. they are super easy since the paint runs down and smooths out.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4 (Post 52080814)
YEAH! Lol. ...

Actually Toyo, I was really thinking about this with my outlaw 2 wheels... The reason being I think it would match my sliders and bumpers being hammered black... It looks like a very similar color. I can't wait to see them on there! Yes, largely for selfish reasons, hahahahaha... But also because I think it will look sick against the white with your grey stripes! Eventually I will do the James Dean creations decals but in grey, because even though I think the gold looks a little better on it stock red... With the hammer black on the bumpers and sliders, as I said, and with a gray interior, .... I think it would look sick on my old Ruby. Lol

yup, the main reason for my wheel color was to match my gray stripes a little. i did my sliders in the same color but i left my front and rear bumper black. not sure if this gray would look good on large stuff

vang_22re 05-28-2013 07:36 AM

Wow! You did a good job cleaning/painting those rims! But then again you do a lot of good jobs on your projects haha. Can't wait to see how it look like on the runner.

ToyoTech559 05-28-2013 12:55 PM

:wabbit:

Originally Posted by vang_22re (Post 52081097)
Wow! You did a good job cleaning/painting those rims! But then again you do a lot of good jobs on your projects haha. Can't wait to see how it look like on the runner.

Thanks. It helps having access to a heated pressure washer and all types of strong degreaser. Works been slow so I should have them on tomorrow. I hope

Grego92 05-28-2013 04:22 PM

Oooh...those look nice! can't wait to see them mounted up!

ToyoTech559 05-29-2013 10:03 PM

finally got the wheels installed. the new rims are like half the weight of my old steel wheels. i love them already. the BS is much less and now the wheels stick out even more than before lol looks like i maybe getting some prerunner fiberglass fenders soon.

left is old rim and right is new rim.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...23900566_n.jpg

left is new wheel, right is old wheel

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...57501375_n.jpg

new wheels and man do they stick out lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...04710889_n.jpg

balanced only with BBs. i was in a rush and i dont think i put enough inside them. they work but it does shake at times. gonna add more later this week if i find the time
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...01496295_n.jpg

just glad the new wheel was just a tad wider as you can see here
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...67483485_n.jpg

both are painted in the same color but you can see the sun did a number on one of them haha
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...77767702_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...18599065_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...77242368_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_410168_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...81732878_n.jpg

wider is better. i need to look into some fiberglass fenders soon
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...93319166_n.jpg

Grego92 05-30-2013 02:14 PM

Yeah, that looks really nice. Something to ask around about, I remember a bunch of guys were getting fix-it tickets around my area in the mid-90's because their tires stuck out too much. The highway patrol said they needed to have mud flaps if it stuck out a certain amount (don't know what that amount was/is) because they could fling rocks up at cars behind them. I never took my mud flaps off for that reason and I'm glad now that I never did.

ToyoTech559 05-30-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks. Around here I see 10 inch lifted full size Chevys with mud tires and none ever have mud flaps. I guess it's not a big deal around here. I do have front flap but only covers like half the tire lol. I removed the rear ones due to bumper. This isn't dd and it only gets driven to the trail and back. So far I haven't had any issues. Main reason for fiberglass baja front fenders is one they look cool and two my paint lol

Redeth005 05-30-2013 02:50 PM

Hey Jred151 is selling some fiberglass fenders. He is located out here in socal. Might be able to work something out with you.

ToyoTech559 05-30-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005 (Post 52081880)
Hey Jred151 is selling some fiberglass fenders. He is located out here in socal. Might be able to work something out with you.

link? they need to be ivan style fenders i think. it has to look like the stock fender pocket. i dont like the round cut outs since the rear isnt round.

http://www.bizsitepro.com/images/cus...rage/ivan1.jpg

Redeth005 05-30-2013 09:08 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108/1989-1st-gen-4runner-v6-3-0-5spd-4x4-blazeland-long-travel-los-angeles-ca-4500-a-266384/
Check it out. He sent me a text with the pix. Its looks like those ones that you posted.

diableri 05-31-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559 (Post 51944261)
Blazeland Long Travel Initial Review:

I havent logged alot of miles on the new set up but i wanna get a review out:
1st i like to say that my previous suspension set up rode really good. most people that install this LT kit say its amazing and im sure it is compared to their previous tired 20+ year old suspension. i cant say that about mine since my suspension upgrade was progressive. went from stock to bj spacer and ome shocks to blazeland LT. as you can see i didnt make any huge jumps. i was already happy with my previous set up and going LT was mainly for more travel. on the road it rides great. little bumps and what not can be felt but this could be due to old steering rods - old ball joints and/or energy suspension body mounts. in town its a little better than my old setup. one thing i did notice is that at speeds thru speed bumps the LT took it all up and i felt nothing compared to my BJ Spacer set up. the rear end remained the same and i can feel the rear end jump up and felt more while the front was smooth as butter. i may need to upgrade the rear shocks or complete redo it but that will be for another post/day. prior to going LT i was already running no sway bars and now that i have LT, it seems to sway the same maybe a little less. it wasnt that much of a difference. i am using stock torsion bars so i did have to crank them up compared to before where it was left alone since the BJ gave me the lift. the LT required more cranking to level me back up to where i was before, but i did go just a little higher since the front was lower than the rear before i didnt wanna touch the torsion bars than. was hoping to have a heavy rear bumper done to bring the rear end down but now i have LT so i will adjust accordingly once i get it all done

On the trails: i was able to smash thru this road to the trail head i have done a million times and i have to say with the LT it was better, you still feel the bumps but than again i was able to go twice as fast. if i was going as fast as i used to, im sure the LT would be better. the truck took all the bumps. on the rocks, the extended travel is awesome. i noticed that the truck stayed much level when rock crawling. i had no problems and each trip i take, i tend to do more and more stuff i didnt before since each trip i have done something new and it gets tested.

overall i love the LT i just need to work on the rear a little but im still happy. again its really hard for me to review this since its not my Daily Driver and at work i drive so many stock 2005+ cars, suv, and trucks that ride so much nicer and im more used to, to say that the LT made the runner ride like a Mercedes but it doesn't, not that it should since it is at toy and i use to for off road fun. i need to jump into someones stock 88 runner v6 to better give you guys a review but anyone that has a stock suspension and looking to upgrade without going SA, Blazeland LT kit is well worth it. plus it just looks SICK.
you guys also need to note that i have a V6 plus a heavy ARB bumper and winch installed up front on stock torsion bars which imo is best if you want alot of flex. im not into the high speed desert stuff so i cant comment on that since the rest of my suspension is not set up for that. my unique set up allows me to have a little of everything from high speed fireroads/sand dunes to slow speed rock crawling with tons of flex from a LT IFS. plus i tow a 8x10 trailer with a quad so i cant just throw on some deavers since most high speed super flexy rear springs are not made for towing.
this is it for now and will update if anything changes as i get more seat time

Thanks for this. I'm only this post far into your thread but I really needed this feedback. I need to rebuild most of my front end here in the next few weeks and I am debating the value of going with a similar set up right from the get go. I appreciate your thoughts and I'm hoping there will be more on it as the thread progresses. Thanks again!

ToyoTech559 06-01-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by diableri (Post 52082260)
Thanks for this. I'm only this post far into your thread but I really needed this feedback. I need to rebuild most of my front end here in the next few weeks and I am debating the value of going with a similar set up right from the get go. I appreciate your thoughts and I'm hoping there will be more on it as the thread progresses. Thanks again!

Thanks for reading my build page sorry if the last few pages are more trail pictures lol. I tend to go as much as I can and after every little mod so its like a new truck each trip.
I have done a change to the front since. I need to do an updated review on it but I'm pretty sure I mention it a few pages back. Let me know when your ready and ill try to post a better review or answer any questions.

diableri 06-01-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559 (Post 52082494)
Thanks for reading my build page sorry if the last few pages are more trail pictures lol. I tend to go as much as I can and after every little mod so its like a new truck each trip.
I have done a change to the front since. I need to do an updated review on it but I'm pretty sure I mention it a few pages back. Let me know when your ready and ill try to post a better review or answer any questions.

Actually the pics help a lot because they are not just opinion, they are easy to see examples. Put those photos together with your opinion and time (to make sure everything lasts) and you have a great example of what this set up is capable of.

I need ball joints, tie rods, shocks and even have one pretty beat up arm. Shaking the tires sounds like rattling a coffee can of bolts it's all so loose. :P Since I'm going to be in there, I figure I might as well get this all done right from the start.

Most of my use will be more towing to desert camps and desert runs than the crawling you do but I have to admit, I'd like the option to try some. I've stomped terra all over the sierras in boots and now that I'm older (and fatter :facepalm: ) doing it via my truck may scratch a little of that old itch some. It's a hard habit to break.

Are you happy with the EMU TBar set up now after a few more miles? I am leaning on going all OEM on the parts not replaced by the blaze set up just for sheer peace of mind other than that. You've done pretty much what I'd like to do (especially the elocker in back).

Thanks for the great information man, it's a lot of help!

ToyoTech559 06-02-2013 07:37 AM

I prefer pictures as well. I wish I have done the OME t bars soon. They are much better for high speed driving and still flexes as good as factory. If you do more high speed stuff. I highly recommend Blazeland LT with OME T-Bars. The closest I have to desert roads would be firewords I race down to get to the trailhead. On these types are roads I was able to go 20-30 mph and feel good about the truck soaking up the bumps. The huge pot holes I slow down a little for but still fly into them for time to time and its a hard hit but it doesn't feel like it is bottoming out. It sounds more like it than anything else. My rear end isn't set up for high speed so its a little rough back there lol. It can't keep up with the LT lol. I still don't know what I wanna run in the rear. It needs to handle high speed bumps, flex really good, and have a decent load capacity. I have at least 2-3 hundred lbs in gear than my rear bumper and dual swing out will add another 2-300 lbs with spare.

One of my control arm bushing was shot and the time and cost to replace all the control arm bushing wasn't worth it compares to getting a complete rebuilt LT ones with all new bushings and what not. It was just better to pay a little more for a lot more travel and I can tell it it handles high speed stuff great. I fly down fire roads compared to my SA yotas that slow down for the littles of bumps lol

I think I have a few videos of my runner on YouTube with LT and factory torsion bars tho. I need to make a new video. It was the underside LT arms on the rocks.

diableri 06-02-2013 01:30 PM

Thanks for the videos and feedback. I think your plan with the go pro and the phone control is awesome too. Talk about being able to diagnose and keep a close eye on your mod progression, that's fantastic.

I am still trying to educate myself on all the front end components to see what I need and looking for a good primer on all that but I am pretty confident now about the blaze set up and rebuilding the entire front end at the same time just to get it over with. I'll need to figure out the rear shortly afterwards but that part can wait just a bit since this isn't a driver... yet. :devil:

From what my mechanic said, I'd have a hell of a lot easier time working on the V6 and in the engine compartment in general if I lifted the body even just a bit (he said 1-1.5") so I might start taking that into consideration as well as far as overall lift strategy. It seems REALLY easy from the write ups and fairly cheap. If it makes that tight space easier to work on, then great. I know folks around here don't seem to be fond of that but it seems to be a looks bit? From what I've gathered, might make the sliders a bit easier to manage? I've also done some pretty radical mods to my street rods over the years and I might like to add something under/through the body at some point where the extra room could come in handy (larger tank, extra battery, general compartment etc thinking more expedition stuff here).

Any thoughts on all that from what you've experienced so far as well as the negative stuff about CV wear on TBar tweaking? Does the Blaze/OME Bars negate some of the CV concern at all?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm sadly ignorant about this stuff even after weeks of searching and reading through threads, articles and watching videos. Seems to be a LOT of differing opinions. Please don't feel obligated to answer any of it, I'm still searching everywhere trying to get what I feel are reputable answers; it's just that you're living proof and you're working this set up out proving it's worth! :) All that and well... your Runner is straight up awesome!

p.s. I just have to share. I ran around town (Bakersfield, CA which should be a great 4x4 town) Friday and this weekend and asked all the shops I could find about IFS and trying to keep the money local for my parts... NOBODY had any idea. Everyone just said, "so you want to switch it over to a solid axle? We can do that for ya." What's odd is that we're only like 90 minutes from Pismo etc and the same from Mojave, couple hours from TONS of great desert and beaches. I mean, I get it; it's not conventional but either is my planned use I guess.

ToyoTech559 06-02-2013 02:52 PM

Yea once I get some $$. Go pro will be next. The videos I posted are from a cannon digital camera with a custom mount I made lol.

If it wasn't for my front arb bumper I would do a 1-1.5 inch body lift. It will help changing stuff around the engine much easier but how often do you plan on changing out your headers. Starter. Motor mounts. Those are just a few I know a body lift would have helped but if a shop works on it. Like when I did mine. I was able lift the body a little as needed. My reasoning for a body lift is mainly to be able to raise my drivetrain and fuel tank up higher. So a body lift wouldn't help me much under the hood if I raise the engine and trans the same amount lol. A body lift would make installing sliders easier since the arms would come straight out.

With a LT. You naturally gain more lift while being able to keep cv angles better than a stock arms with the same lift. I did a front diff drop with spacers which you can do to help with cv angles. I did the drop when u did bj spacers and left ten in when I went LT. With diff drop and LT. You don't have to worry about cv angle. Mine are pretty level with little angle at my current ride height.

Yeah I haven't seen to many Blazeland owners doing a build page with as much info as I have put out. I'm sure they are doing similar stuff but are not online enough to do a build page.

Your like 2 hours north of me. You need to find shops that build pre runners for more help and info on IFS. I'm still new to the whole ifs myself but without much info online. I just learn as I go. Blazeland kit just gives you a start and its up to you on how far you take it. There are pre runner forums that could help more but they are more all out built rigs with custom LT kits. That route was too much money for what I do. I go to pismo often but the runner isn't my main vehicle for fun on the sand. I also have a quad lol