YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Rockstomper sheath guard (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/rockstomper-sheath-guard-1372/)

Corey 08-21-2002 05:14 PM

Rockstomper sheath guard

Well, I went and ordered my sheath for my Masterpull winch line today from Scott's business.

I got two 5' sections, and will have them both at the end by the hook.
Scott's partner talked me into going with 2 5' lengths over a single 10' one so this way you can protect two parts of the line if you need too.

I had taken out about 5' of line today to try and work on my hook, and the Masterpull sheath got stuck :pissed:
I had to get my needle nose pliers and grab it and then let the line out.

No more of this crap. It fits lose, where as the Rockstomper one fit tight like a glove and won't bunch up or get stuck in the roller fairleads.

Can't wait to get it. Should be here by Monday at the latest.

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/pr.../ropeins08.jpg

jx94148 08-22-2002 04:54 PM

You will have to take your MP line completely off of the drum to put the guard on. It will not go over the hook end even with the hook removed. Once you have it on you will be quite happy with how easily it spools in and out of the fairlead. Good choice Corey.

BTW... I'm curious about the drum/set screw end of the MasterPull line. Could you maybe snap a pic of that end of the line so I can satisfy my curiosity?

I have been singing the praises of Rockstomper products for a while now but I have to say that i'm dissappointed with how my bumper bent when doing some heavy winching last weekend. I'm headed to the RS shop tomorrow morning to show them what happened and ask them to fix it. If they stand behind their work and fix the problem i'll continue to reccomend their products wherever applicible. If they won't fix my bumper i'll be one pissed off M.....F...er and I won't be shy about sharing my oppinions. I hope there are some other customers in the shop when I go in.:hillbill: I love a captive audience when I get wound up and have something to say.

Stay tuned to Yotatech to see if Rockstomper is as good of a shop as they seem to be.

Corey 08-22-2002 05:14 PM

Thanks Matt, now if I could only figure out how to pound that dang pin out of the hook...

I actually changed my mind last night too, and Scott got my email this morning just as the man in brown showed up.

I had ordered black, but I emailed to change it to yellow.
He caught it just in time :D
Corey

jx94148 08-22-2002 05:21 PM

Leave the hook alone, the guard/ sheath/ sleeve/ whatever you want to call it HAS to go on via the other end!!

Corey 08-22-2002 05:47 PM

I want to take the hook off for this project.

Candido's came out real nice.

jx94148 08-23-2002 12:18 PM

BTW... I'm curious about the drum/set screw end of the MasterPull line. Could you maybe snap a pic of that end of the line so I can satisfy my curiosity?

Corey 08-23-2002 12:29 PM

Sure, I'll snag a pic. The man in brown already came by today, so think it will be here on Monday sometime.

We just used the same set screw that held on the warn cable when Jim & I switched lines in Feb.

This is the same line I have that I just got off of their page, and it shows the attachment that goes under the set screw.
http://www.masterpull.com/1112/items/60227-719.gif
Corey

BTOWN4RUNNER 08-23-2002 05:12 PM

I don't mean to barge in or be an :booty: but what does that sheath do? I am wondering what that does? Kinda nosey, I know, but could you let me in on the secret? :fireman:

Corey 08-23-2002 05:37 PM

http://www.nchnship.com.cn/images/hc02.jpg
right on in Ryan, we don't mind :D

The sheath slips over the winch rope to protect it.
Since this is a synthetic winch line, and not steel, it can get cut or abrased if you drag it over a sharp rock while under tension.

Since you can slip in anywhere on the rope, you can position it over a rock if the winch line has to pass over one.

Two reasons why I don't use a steel line.
#1. It can kink, and that's no good.
#2. More kinking.

Another pic of the sleaving.

Here's a little reading on the rope I just found with Google. There are many fine articles on the rope linked on my winch page too.
http://www.4x4extremesports.com/masterpull.html

BTOWN4RUNNER 08-24-2002 09:02 AM

Cool, that makes sense. I thought it had to do with the line breaking and snapping and the sheath protected it! Thanks for the info. Now I know and knowing is half the battle... :gijoe:...remember...lol... :fireman:

Corey 08-24-2002 09:12 AM

Oh, another cool thing to about the syn line is if it breaks, it falls flat to the ground.
There is no whipping, or backlash like a steel line.

I'm sure you have already heard the stories on how deadly a steel line can be when it snaps.
I think it was you who mentioned a guy had a steel winch line on his boat trailer snap and made a decapitation article appear in next mornings paper?

That alone is why I don't use it.
Corey

crash 08-24-2002 10:01 PM

Personally, i believe in good ol fashion cable, I have had to put my life in t hat metal stuff a few times, and it had not failed me. I have yet to see anybody use the stuff, but i put a roll of it on a rig thats in my shop, and we are going to go test it out when i finish up the front 4 link suspenion..

Corey 08-27-2002 06:37 PM

Buyer beware

OK, I got my two 5' sheaths today. $12 which included shipping.
I do not recommend these!!!

I can't get them on, and here's why.
On the end of the rope that attaches to the spool is the hook that you put the set screw through to attach it to your winches drum.

The sheath will not slide over it. The only way to do it is to undo the rope at the end and take off the hook or whatever it's called.
You'll see it below in the pictures.

I even cut the sheath. Bad mistake, it unravels all over the place.
Even with it cut, it would not slip over the hook thing.

They put these on new customers ropes no doubt before they weave that hook onto the end.
So after a half hour of trying, I gave up and put the Masterpull clunky sheath back on.
It's better than no sheath at all I guess.

Very frustrating to say the least. And I'll be damned if I'm going to ship my rope cross country to have someone else put it on.
One sheath is worthless, the other one I don't know what I'll do with it.
No way can I take the rope apart and take the hook off to put the new sheaths on. You have to be a rope master to be able to do this sort of thing.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/rs1.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/rs2.jpg

You see the rope is double the size at the end where the hook is because it's tucked and weaved back into the rope. If it was single strand, it would go on no problemo.

I put this one into the category of "mods that went bad."

Shane 08-27-2002 07:54 PM

Corey, here's something to try, might give you just enough purchase on the stuff to get it installed. Find an old wire coat-hanger and straighten it out, then make a full 360° loop in one end leaving the end of the wire sticking out like this -> ____O_

Get the metal end piece into this loop and then thread the sheath over the other end of the wire. When you get it all on so that you can grip the wire start pulling the sheath over the rope.

Hopefully this will help get it installed. Some of the other UHMWPE winch ropes come with a standard terminal crimped on the end instead of how yours is done with the rope looped through that "link" and spliced back into itself. Yours is definetly the better way to go, much stronger setup whereas the crimped-on terminal ones would probably pull out very easily.

....not that the little bolt holding it all on is gonna take much to break but every little bit counts.

If all else fails see if you can find some in the next size up. Most places with a good (read large) selection of rope carry that same stuff, one name for it is "tubular webbing"

Corey 08-27-2002 08:22 PM

Thanks Shane. I guess I should have named the post above to "Only buy the sheath if they put it on."

I thought they all had the hook like mine and weaved the rope back into itself instead of a crimp job.

I did not know you could buy the sheathing elsewhere either.
Guess it makes sense since this rope is a marine grade rope.

I wrote to Scott also to let him know about the setup I have with my rope and how it's weaved back into itself.
I bet his use the crimp method which would make it easier to pull over.

I might try the coat hanger trick tomorrow.

Corey

Arnold 08-27-2002 08:32 PM

Corey, do you want to sell the sheath to me? I was going to order a 10' one but probably won't have enough room on the drum for it. It'll match my yellow hook and shackles too.:D

Corey 08-27-2002 08:38 PM

I'm going to try Shane's trick with the coat hanger first Arnold.
I can take that end I ruined and torch it and hopefully melt the end back so it looks normal.
Corey

Arnold 08-27-2002 08:48 PM

That's cool. Hopefully that'll do the trick. The terminal on the end of my Rockstomper rope is crimped on like you and Shane mentioned so it's pretty easy to change out the sheaths.

jx94148 08-27-2002 10:32 PM

That's why I wanted to see the drum end of the line, I suspected this might be the case. Looks like Corey's server kinda took a dump, i'm sure it will be back up soon though.

Corey 08-28-2002 02:48 PM

Yeah, they were down for 2 hours last night upgrading, so the phone message said.

Scott emailed me back and said to pick up a 1/0 terminal at a welding supply house.
I think I'm going to cut my rope at the end, then put on the crimp.
This will allow me to put the sheaths on.

I'll have to tag a lighter to the one end and see if I can't fix it where I cut it.
If not, I'll run one 5' section only for now.