YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/)
-   -   Front signals don't work, hazard light do. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/front-signals-dont-work-hazard-light-do-228210/)

likus101 01-23-2011 09:22 AM

Front signals don't work, hazard light do.

hey there, i've got a '97 4Runner, my emergency flashers work fine, all the bulbs are good, yet my turn signals don't work at all.
I've replaced the flasher relay, and that didn't do a thing. I know the turn signal switch on the column is not the problem. Also, i do have factory daytime running lights. I'm stumped. Any advice would be much appreciated.

matt1992 01-23-2011 02:19 PM

Is it both right and left not working? and is it in the front and/or the rear? If you need a wiring diagram, I could get one to you...

Elton 01-23-2011 02:27 PM

check all the fuses first

likus101 01-30-2011 10:02 PM

both front and back, right and left don't work. I checked all the fuses. I don't know what to do.

matt1992 01-31-2011 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Top half of diagram

Attachment 188751

bottom half of diagram

Attachment 188752

Mitchell wouldn't let me copy and paste or save as so i had to rig it up and this is the best diagram i can get for you. Sorry if it is hard to read

likus101 01-31-2011 11:14 PM

That's great. I'll check them out and see if i can't find anything. Thanks alot guy, much appreciated.

Techsus 02-02-2011 06:52 PM

Golly-- my front/rear turn signals went out today, too! Holy mackeral. I had the sense to check emergency flashers, they're working OK. Where are the fuses for the turn signals? I have a 1991 Toyota Xtra Cab Deluxe pick-up, 2WD, 5-speed.
Thank you!

likus101 02-02-2011 10:55 PM

the flasher relay on my rig was up behind the dash. But i swapped it out and that didn't fix it.

Techsus 02-03-2011 09:10 PM

HAPPY-ENDING Story.
Well, it's 23 Degrees F. here but I HAD to go check my flasher relay. Phoned Stealership earlier today, "Would you like to schedule with Service to have those fixed?" Sure! Not. Talked to my Service Guy, he said "You need a new flasher." Famous last words.
Flashers are $56.xx new + tax. He said well if BOTH aren't working, it's NOT the fuse. So I was reading on line about what happens when the flasher (relay) fails-- turn signals don't work. (Earlier I made sure to turn on each turn signal, get out of my truck, walk around-- to reassure myself that the turn signals were NOT working inside OR outside. They weren't working anywhere.
So, late tonight, went back out there, after reading about where to find the flasher relay, I was confident I could locate it (on drivers side, near fuse panel near door hinges) BEFORE freezing to death. At least I'd die happy. Didn't see relays right off, but I did see fuse-panel door. Removed that. A diagram on inside of door had everything outlined nicely... the LAST thing I saw was "Turn Signal." Ah-hah! Ran back into house for my Leatherman. Gingerly (didn't want to crush it) removed Turn Signal fuse. In the dim light, it (at first) looked "OK" but to reassure myself, pulled a 10-Amp fuse from the "Gauges" slot & plugged that into "Turn Signal" slot. Got my keys, turned key to "Alt" (without cranking engine), then clicked on my right turn signal.
Guess what?
Blink-blink-blink. It worked.
Now all I have to do is find a 10A fuse for the Gauges slot... maybe I'll get lucky and find some spare fuses in the other fuse box.... maybe there's one in the engine-- if anyone knows if there are spare fuses in the truck somewhere, let me know?
Happy Days!

22R4X4 08-25-2012 07:02 PM

Ever find out what it was? I have the same problem.

MudHippy 08-26-2012 06:17 AM

Speechless...:facepalm:

Techsus 08-26-2012 12:48 PM

It was simply the fuse. Just installed a new fuse & it worked.

MudHippy 08-26-2012 12:51 PM

Shame on you! You shouldn't enable bad behavior.:nono:

Now how's he going to learn how this is supposed to work?