YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/)
-   -   92 pickup 22re oxy sensor mia... (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131/92-pickup-22re-oxy-sensor-mia-250135/)

cman1 02-29-2012 05:25 PM

92 pickup 22re oxy sensor mia...

PO took off cat and oxy sensor and id kinda like to get rid of the engine light. i cant find the wiring for the sensor,i think its 2-wires,black and white(from other previous yotas),but i cant find anything loose in the engine bay. can anyone tell me where it comes out of the harness?and if its two or four wires? a pic would be great!

cman1 03-01-2012 08:36 AM

bump...

cman1 03-01-2012 11:23 AM

Allright,i found my lead for the oxygen sensor stuffed on top of the tranny,my question is,will a new oxy sensor work without a cat? will it get rid of the check engine light or am i wasting my money??

Sensei 03-01-2012 11:31 AM

No, the o2 sensor will not work without the cat. It needs heat and oxygen in an exhaust stream to work properly. You will get a CEL if it is just connected and hanging free.

BMcEL 03-01-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sensei (Post 51879518)
No, the o2 sensor will not work without the cat. It needs heat and oxygen in an exhaust stream to work properly. You will get a CEL if it is just connected and hanging free.

The upstream O2 does not require a cat in place to function properly. If it's California emissions, the downstream O2 may have problems without a cat.

I ran mine (federal) without a cat for a while and never had an issue with the O2 sensor, or any other issues for that matter.

cman1 03-01-2012 03:14 PM

mine has the upstream from the cat version(w/no cat),new exaust with the oxgen port blocked off. so i should be able to put a 02 sensor in and clear the code? also anybody have a preference on what brand since i dont have one to compare it to.

BMcEL 03-01-2012 03:19 PM

Nothing but Denso for the O2 sensor. Assuming the wiring is good, yes, you should be able to clear any codes derived from the missing O2 sensor.

cman1 03-01-2012 03:35 PM

thanks BMcEL!! really appreciate it!

KRos_+ 03-27-2012 04:59 PM

did u get it fixed??

Im goin thru some troubles with an o2 sensor. I had a 18mm threaded oxygen sensor bung from summit welded in to do away with the old rusted out flange. Then i got a universal 4 wire NTK sensor that fit the threads and spliced into the old connector, but now im getting CEL and didnt have one before. Just curious what u did. THanks!

cman1 03-27-2012 05:58 PM

yep its fixed. i just installed the new denso sensor,before where the cat used to be.(no cat) cleared code and its been fine.not only that but it fixed my problem that when it got wet going through the car wash ,it would run like crap untill it dried out.now it doesnt do that anymore.

redneck,welder 04-08-2012 01:49 PM

You can also fix this by welding a nut onto a 2' long spacer then blowing a hole into your exhaust where the cat used to be and then welding the spacer to the blowen hole. Clear the coad and she should be good, its a cheep and easy fix for those with torch and welding skills and is basicly just fooling your o2 sensor into thinking the cat is still in