YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Big bowl full of newbie questions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/big-bowl-full-newbie-questions-206578/)

nicksmith18vt 03-09-2010 08:33 PM

Big bowl full of newbie questions

I am looking into buying some new suspension for my 1986 4runner, what is the best kind of suspension and leaf springs to buy?

marsbike 03-09-2010 08:50 PM

OME. Although, they are seriously back ordered right now. Supposedly there is a shipping container coming over and should be here in a week or two though :)

Philbert 03-09-2010 10:24 PM

More info?
budget?
can you weld?
what do you want to do with the truck?

With IFS, you can get 4" or 6" kits that will lift the front, and then even out the rear with taller springs (harsher ride), or weld in longer springs (google "63 inch Chevy springs+toyota=pirate4x4.com" and you'll come across some great stuff - the thread is like 30 pages long with lots of pics).

Or, you can do the ZUK mod (search), which is a helper spring inbetween the frame and the stock springs to give you about 3-5" of lift over stock. I'm about to do this, just got the parts this week.

For the front, you can also crank the torsion bars to get 1-1.5 inches of added over stock lift, but you sacrifice ride comfort.

It's up to what you want the suspension for, your tools/expertise, and your budget :)

Good luck!

spdjnky 03-10-2010 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert (Post 51388275)
More info?
budget?
can you weld?
what do you want to do with the truck?

With IFS, you can get 4" or 6" kits that will lift the front, and then even out the rear with taller springs (harsher ride), or weld in longer springs (google "63 inch Chevy springs+toyota=pirate4x4.com" and you'll come across some great stuff - the thread is like 30 pages long with lots of pics).

Or, you can do the ZUK mod (search), which is a helper spring inbetween the frame and the stock springs to give you about 3-5" of lift over stock. I'm about to do this, just got the parts this week.

For the front, you can also crank the torsion bars to get 1-1.5 inches of added over stock lift, but you sacrifice ride comfort.

It's up to what you want the suspension for, your tools/expertise, and your budget :)

Good luck!

Good Info Philbert!! I went with OME springs and bj spacers up front. Great for daily driving and mild off roading. Wish i would have went with 63" chevy springs in the rear now, more flex.

nicksmith18vt 03-11-2010 09:19 PM

thanks!

You guys are really helpful every time I have a question. I looked into the OME system and I am pretty sold on it. Now I just need to save up the money. My expertise/tools level is none, I take it to the mechanic or friends every time. I just ordered 100 square feet of the best fatmat to line the floor, walls and ceiling with, and I also ordered the hood stuff too. I'm going to paint on herculiner on top of it. I do have a new question though... Is it possible to install the K&N Apollo air intake system in my 86 turbo 4runner? I found this link to buy it...
http://www.simpleautosports.com/prod...oducts_id=3789
and this is what K&N has to say about it...http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm
I should probably just start a new thread for this, but you guys seem to be really knowledgeable. Thanks for the info.

nicksmith18vt 03-11-2010 09:20 PM

are you installing the OME system yourself? If I was to buy the entire system and have a mechanic do it, what would I be looking at for a price tag on it?

nicksmith18vt 03-11-2010 09:22 PM

where are you from philbert? I am from northern california and I see those tsunami signs all over the place.

marsbike 03-12-2010 03:33 PM

Personally, I'm planning on doing the install myself, IIRC, I'm out a total of about 860 for the full kit from www.rocky-road.com. Leaf springs are easy as pie to remove, and the torsions don't look too difficult either. I figure that if I have issues with bolts, it should take me a good afternoon or two to get the system in.

Duckie 03-13-2010 10:42 AM

Also consider your long term goals for the truck. Don't a ton of money of IFS suspension if you plan on SAS.

nicksmith18vt 04-16-2010 12:03 AM

Brembo brake upgrade questions...

I'm looking into upgrading my brake system with Brembo components. I have a 86 turbo 4runner and the brake pads and rotors are getting shot. I wanted to know if i can put disc brakes for the rear wheels, if thats a good idea, and what parts/modifications i would have to do. Has anyone done what I am talking about with any brand brakes? Also, does anyone know where i can find cheap brembo parts, or if there are better components.

nicksmith18vt 04-16-2010 12:09 AM

looking for a quiet exhaust system

I am looking into upgrading my exhaust system on my 1986 4runner turbo sr5 to something that is quiet and gives me better gas mileage. So far I am interested in the Dynomax VT muffler but i'm not sure. What size inlet/outlet should i go with if I upgrade my exhaust? Is bigger better? Also does anyone know of any other muffler systems that are known to be quiet and give you more horsepower/gas mileage? Thanks.

nicksmith18vt 04-28-2010 07:59 PM

86 4runner passenger window problem... need help

hey, I drive a 86 4runner sr5. The electric passenger side window will go down but it is stuck down and won't go back up. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it? I called my mechanic to ask how much it will cost to fix it and they quoted me in between 2-500 dollars. I want to do it myself. I think it might be the electronic switch since it will go down but not up. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or had it fixed? How hard is it to do this job?

Thank you
Nick

myyota 04-29-2010 06:29 AM

Check out 4crawlers web site, he goes over how to fix the problem that your having.

nicksmith18vt 09-23-2010 09:14 PM

86 4runner passenger power window problem...

My passenger side power window is stuck half way down, it won't go up or down when i press either the driver side master switch or the passenger side window switch. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem, or if you know what might be wrong with it. i took the inside door panel off last night to try to wiggle some wires to see if that would fix it but that didn't work.

Thanks

myyota 09-23-2010 09:24 PM

Can you hook the window motor up to a 12 volt battery directly to see if it will go up and down, that will tell you if the motor is good or bad.

nicksmith18vt 11-16-2010 04:59 AM

breather filter question

1 Attachment(s)
I have a breather filter that fits 3/8"-1/2"(8-12mm) tubes and i want to put it in my 86 turbo 4runner 22re. I found this guys picture of what he did but i dont know how it worked for him, has anyone else done this, or do you know how it would work and how i put it in. It looks like he put it on his pcv valve.

waskillywabbit 11-16-2010 05:16 AM

Why?

:wabbit2:

nicksmith18vt 11-16-2010 05:24 AM

I wanted to ask the guy that

i saw this picture on yotatech and the guy didnt say why he put the breather filter in. My tube that goes there is kinked like a hose that stops pushing out water. My mechanic said it shouldnt make a difference, but this picture looks like it would be better than what i have now. I also have the breather filter already and sort of want to do something with it.

nicksmith18vt 11-16-2010 05:34 AM

this is sort of what mine looks like

1 Attachment(s)
except my tube is bent and full air flow is restricted

nicksmith18vt 11-16-2010 05:35 AM

the tube leads to..

it leads to my air intake from the top of the engine