YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Tech Section (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Axle wrap from lift blocks (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/axle-wrap-lift-blocks-236908/)

F00PDA3W00P 06-17-2011 06:09 PM

Axle wrap from lift blocks

ok so i blew out my rear end today and replaced it. now i noticed that the rear end pivots with drivline hooked up and thats what caused it . now heres the question what is supposed to stop the rear end to not pivot. i have all u bolt tight and it still pivots its got a 4 inch lift and its an 88 yota.

Tanker5503 06-17-2011 06:46 PM

leaf spring perch u may have broke em?

F00PDA3W00P 06-17-2011 09:15 PM

what are the leaf spring perchs and leaf srings bend quite a bit when i push truck forward and back causing it to pivot

Brandon13 06-17-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by F00PDA3W00P (Post 51740188)
what are the leaf spring perchs and leaf srings bend quite a bit when i push truck forward and back causing it to pivot

Leaf spring perches are the flat piece of metal the your leaf springs attach to your axle

F00PDA3W00P 06-17-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon13 (Post 51740206)
Leaf spring perches are the flat piece of metal the your leaf springs attach to your axle

those are fine what about the bolts that go through those could that be the issue or even worn out springs it has lift blocks on rear but i really want a set of 4 inch springs for the rear

F00PDA3W00P 06-18-2011 11:14 AM

ok so i no longer think its axle twist it looks as thogh its spring wrap in the rear when i puch it forward in gear the springs move alot and it twists

Peterbuilt84 06-18-2011 01:22 PM

Are the u bolts are tight? Could also be axle wrap from the old springs.

waskillywabbit 06-18-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by F00PDA3W00P (Post 51740232)
those are fine what about the bolts that go through those could that be the issue or even worn out springs it has lift blocks on rear but i really want a set of 4 inch springs for the rear

It's called AXLE WRAP and it's BAD and caused by those crappy BLOCKS.

Want it fixed? Throw away the blocks.

:wabbit2:

MudHippy 06-18-2011 05:32 PM

Keywords: 4 inch, lift blocks

Those are what you'd call "a one-way ticket to Axle Wrap City". Any size lift blocks will contribute to it. But 4" blocks? As my step-dad used to say "give to me a large break!".

dropzone 06-18-2011 06:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
if you don't wanna get to springs to eliminate axle wrap-get a ladder bar:
https://www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html
Attachment 200818
Attachment 200819
Attachment 200820

MudHippy 06-18-2011 06:41 PM

:good:

On the minimum required equipment list IMO. But, it doesn't solve every issue with them. For that you'd probably want a panhard bar too. Won't find that on your 88 yota from the factory either.

Why do I think that?

In my personal experience with 2" blocks in the rear, which was NOT good, they also have another inherent weakness that can cause catastrophic damage. What ended up being problem with mine was not the axle wrap alone, which was tolerable(to a point, as you'll see). It was only when they both cracked into pieces and fell out that it was extreme enough of a problem to be called intolerable. That intolerance could be measured in the number of twists in my rear driveshaft caused by MASSIVE axle wrap(like try having no nuts on your u-bolts type, as loose as they were then). The way they appeared to have been destroyed was by a horizontal twisting/pushing/pulling action(basically forced in every other direction too, besides wrapping around the axle housing). They weren't smashed or cracked length wise. They both cracked in half near the middle of their width. An anology would be if you could grab a brick at each end and break it over your knee, or twist it in half. Axle wrap wouldn't cause that kind of a break. Wheeling so hard that your rear axle wants to tear itself off the ass-end of your truck sideways will though. For that I don't recommend lift blocks...:nono: