YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Symptoms of faulty TPS? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/symptoms-faulty-tps-152605/)

scrid 08-27-2008 02:24 PM

Symptoms of faulty TPS?

Hey all, just wondering if anyone can tell me what some of the minor symptoms of a faulty TPS are.
Thanks

Jay351 08-27-2008 03:42 PM

Symptoms include:

- Wandering idle ( 800 at one stop light, 1000 at the next)
- Bad mpg (lol?)
- Poor throttle response
- Lack of drop in idle when TE1 and E1 connectors are jumped

Unplug the TPS and if it runs better, you got some work to do.

BoostinChick 08-27-2008 03:52 PM

My issue is (and I have a bad TPS I tested it) is that the truck idles fine on a cold start but as soon as it warms up and I go into driver the truck starts to shake/run like crap.

iamsuperbleeder 08-27-2008 04:09 PM

I had all the symptoms listed about when my TPS took a crap...

Like Jay said, I unplugged mine and left it unplugged for 3 days till I got a new one cause it ran so much better.

So try that first and see what happens.

Good luck

BoostinChick 08-27-2008 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder (Post 50908758)
I had all the symptoms listed about when my TPS took a crap...

Like Jay said, I unplugged mine and left it unplugged for 3 days till I got a new one cause it ran so much better.

So try that first and see what happens.

Good luck

Ya I don't think my TPS is as bad as that yet...when I unplug my TPS the car runs worse and I don't accelerate well at all either.

bigt 08-27-2008 04:36 PM

might not only be a tps issue.. on my trail rig i unplug the tps it runs great,,plug it in it runs like ass.. so i dont plug it in!
but this is a 22re

hmmwv15 08-27-2008 04:51 PM

haha.

Glad someone posted this. I think mine is crapola also. Tried to adjust it via 4crawlers site but my volt meter won't give a steady reading so I think it's gone.

Mine is hard to start, will turn the key upwards of 5 times and then when it does decide to run it will shudder for about 10-15 seconds then jump up to 1500 RPM. Once it warms up it will settle at 1000, and when it has been running I sit at stop lights and it drops to 7 or 800. Now that I know you can disconnect it, I'll try that tomorrow :D

Lysmachia 08-27-2008 05:05 PM

I can't belive one of you smart asses forgot this? "If you don't turn in your TPS then you get in trouble with lumberg"

Sorry /BS

BoostinChick 08-27-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15 (Post 50908787)
haha.

Glad someone posted this. I think mine is crapola also. Tried to adjust it via 4crawlers site but my volt meter won't give a steady reading so I think it's gone.

Mine is hard to start, will turn the key upwards of 5 times and then when it does decide to run it will shudder for about 10-15 seconds then jump up to 1500 RPM. Once it warms up it will settle at 1000, and when it has been running I sit at stop lights and it drops to 7 or 800. Now that I know you can disconnect it, I'll try that tomorrow :D

Normal idle should be around 800RPMS +/- 50 RPMS according to the FSM. Try the jumping of the connector trick while the truck is warmed up/running and see if the idle drops. Like I said once I unplugged my TPS the car ran like complete ass especially going uphill.

I also found it a LOT easier (3VZE) to take off the throttle body and use my ohmeter to measure what needed to be measured. I was able to re-use my throttle body gasket as well.

The Stig 08-27-2008 05:46 PM

is it a bad thing to run the car without the TPS plugged in?

thook 08-27-2008 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia (Post 50908799)
I can't belive one of you smart asses forgot this? "If you don't turn in your TPS then you get in trouble with lumberg"

Sorry /BS

Mmmyeah....about those TPS reports....:chairfall

BoostinChick...

This is debatable, but I believe you may be seeing the results you are by unplugging the TPS is because it's on the same circuit as the auto tranny. I'm forgetting at the moment exactly how this is, but it has some management over the tranny and consequent engine load. Sorry for the vaguery. I suppose I should get more details, but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.:)

thook 08-27-2008 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 50908836)
is it a bad thing to run the car without the TPS plugged in?

If you have an auto tranny, see above post. Plus, IIRC, it affects......or can affect.....tranny shifting. That's about the extent of it other than fuel management.

Lysmachia 08-27-2008 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thook (Post 50908863)
If you have an auto tranny, see above post. Plus, IIRC, it affects......or can affect.....tranny shifting. That's about the extent of it other than fuel management.

Lumberg stands coreected... for the first time in his life...

Attachment 181677

Ummmm YEAAAAH........

thook 08-27-2008 06:16 PM

Gawd....that movie kept me in stitches. "oooo....oooo". :lof:

slacker 08-27-2008 06:32 PM

My TPS worked just fine .. along with other units I tested .. my problem turned out to be the throttle body . throttle body shaft bushings to be exact ..

seems with th 260K I have on my unit , like a carb , the shaft bushing have warn , and now creating a vac issue .

thook 08-27-2008 06:38 PM

Wow....that's a new on me. Never heard of that happening. Something to keep in mind, I guess.

So, how'd you figure out it was the shaft bushings? What clues were there?

Jay351 08-27-2008 06:45 PM

That makes sence Corey. I might have to check mine, seemed ok but better safe then sorry!

iamsuperbleeder 08-27-2008 06:54 PM

sorry to get off topic, but what in the name of all that is holy is up with your new avatar thook?

:lof:

please tell me that's not really you...

thook 08-27-2008 08:59 PM

:laugh: No, it's not me....although, rather similar in features. I'm much thinner, though. And, were that me, I wouldn't be wearing underwear.

(Too much info? :nerd:)

About the avatar and where it came from........that's courtesy of a4runnerfreak....aka Tony the Mobster. I thought it was funny and too much like my silly side. So, there it is. Viewable for all. I've been pondering a change, though.

iamsuperbleeder 08-27-2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by thook (Post 50909029)
:laugh: No, it's not me....although, rather similar in features. I'm much thinner, though. And, were that me, I wouldn't be wearing underwear.

(Too much info? :nerd:)

About the avatar and where it came from........that's courtesy of a4runnerfreak....aka Tony the Mobster. I thought it was funny and too much like my silly side. So, there it is. Viewable for all. I've been pondering a change, though.

had to come out of the "oil cap removed" thread, lol