YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Swaybar delete = lean? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/swaybar-delete-lean-237446/)

Boon 06-29-2011 09:07 AM

Swaybar delete = lean?

Ever since removing my rusty, barely there, albeit still working sway bar, my truck has been leaning to the right. What could be causing this?

I know, I know. Better to have just ignored it. I didn't want it breaking somewhere I couldn't just cut it off. And so here we are.

MaK92-4RnR 06-29-2011 09:30 AM

check your leaf springs. maybe a leaf has snapped.

Boon 06-29-2011 09:56 AM

First place I checked. There is no change in the way the truck drives.

I'll say for sure that my leafs are tired, but equally worn.

MaK92-4RnR 06-29-2011 10:00 AM

Alrighty, so are you talking about it leaning when its just sitting? or when you take turns...? the lean is gonna happen because you took the sway bar off... lol

irab88 06-29-2011 10:01 AM

torsion bars, perhaps?

Boon 06-29-2011 04:01 PM

After reading my original post, it seems I could have been more clear. The truck leans while parked, obviously it leans with away from the turn without a sway bar.

Would a problem with tbars cause a lean to one side? Or would it be as simple as cranking one side to level?

MaK92-4RnR 06-29-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boon (Post 51746327)
After reading my original post, it seems I could have been more clear. The truck leans while parked, obviously it leans with away from the turn without a sway bar.

Would a problem with tbars cause a lean to one side? Or would it be as simple as cranking one side to level?

if one of your Tbars is relaxed or stiffer than the other, than definitely... it'll cause it to lean. measure from the top of your tire, to the fender on each side. if one is different than the other. then your Tbars need to be adjusted... They're easily adjusted, unless they're rusted out.

irab88 06-29-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR (Post 51746334)
if one of your Tbars is relaxed or stiffer than the other, than definitely... it'll cause it to lean. measure from the top of your tire, to the fender on each side. if one is different than the other. then your Tbars need to be adjusted... They're easily adjusted, unless they're rusted out.

:good:

i found that lots of pb blaster and a tire-iron works well to adjust them, and tighten to raise, loosen to lower (for both sides)

BMcEL 06-30-2011 07:54 AM

Adjusting one torsion bar to level it side to side may just be covering up a problem. Under no normal circumstances should one torsion bar sag faster than the other, but a previous owner may have adjusted them improperly in the past. It was probably not noticeable before because the sway bar was doing it's job and trying to keep the truck level. Keep in mind that the torsion bars are already under more stress without a sway bar in place and then add more stress to one side by cranking it by itself. If you can afford it I would recommend replacing them, otherwise maybe try relaxing the high side first. You can never be too cautious when working on components as critical as suspension, especially when failure could send your roof on a blind date with terra-firma.