YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Sliding rear cab window? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/sliding-rear-cab-window-108307/)

curtiswyant 02-24-2007 04:46 PM

Sliding rear cab window?

I just got a camper shell for my '87 pickup, is there any easy way to put a sliding rear window in the cab so I could reach into the bed?

Just Learning 02-24-2007 05:05 PM

well you most likely have to get a sliding rear window, or you could do the "custom way" punch a hole through your back window :)

CanTheWhales 02-24-2007 05:15 PM

It's a straight swap out of an SR5 model within the same generation...I'm gonna put one in mine someday (probably after I break the old one)

dh515 02-24-2007 06:10 PM

Check Ebay. I got one for my 88 for about $60 delivered from east to west coast. New, I've seen them for about $120. CR Lawrence is the company that made mine.

SwampThing 02-24-2007 10:11 PM

Well, if you're a do-it-yourself'er, and don't mind a little bit of redneck-ism, here's what yer gonna wanna do. Swing on by home depot or lowes and pick yerself up some 24"x48" plexiglass, either rubber cement or sealant, 2 wooden window shutter hinges, and a door latch. 1/4" thick plexi is fine, but 3/8" sits a little snugger. Make yerself a template of the shape of the window with some cardboard and make where you are going to split the plexi into three pieces. Once ya have done that, go ahead and make your cuts. Rubber cement the two outside window cuts into the window cavity. Then prop up the inner window where you need it to be, mark your holes for drilling the starter holes for the latch and hinges, drill em, install hardware, and vola. You got yerself a nice beer window now! I've done this to about 5 trucks now, and it's worked great. Here's a little pic to give ya a little better idea.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1782/windowxb0.jpg

KLF 02-25-2007 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by SwampThing (Post 50446207)
Well, if you're a do-it-yourself'er, and don't mind a little bit of redneck-ism

Holy crap... redneck is right.

I've got a nice factory OEM rear sliding window out in my garage that I'll sell cheap, say $30. Came out of an '87 reg cab truck. Won't fit an xcab, BTW. Includes the cab gasket. Very easy to swap, only takes a few minutes.

GV27 02-25-2007 08:39 AM

LOL, a Redneck tip from SwampThing? Say it ain't so! :hillbill: ;)

CanTheWhales 02-25-2007 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 50446362)
Holy crap... redneck is right.

I've got a nice factory OEM rear sliding window out in my garage that I'll sell cheap, say $30. Came out of an '87 reg cab truck. Won't fit an xcab, BTW. Includes the cab gasket. Very easy to swap, only takes a few minutes.

I'll take it....seriously, sending PM now

Just Learning 02-25-2007 08:33 PM

little bit of redneck-ism, ha ha

frodin1 02-25-2007 08:42 PM

If your putting one in. Get some clothesline rope put in the track of the gasket have someone outside push "not hard or you'll tear the gasket", while someone inside pulls the line and gradually rolls the gasket back .Work your way around and you'll be done. Takes 5 minutes. Taking one out just work the gasket until its popping out then have a friend pull while you push! Good luck!

SwampThing 02-25-2007 11:13 PM

Well, if ya caint think of a word to say what ya mean, make one up! But ya know yer a redneck when yer truck is held together with more bailing wire, zip ties, duct tape, gorilla glue, and sheet metal screws than any single hardware store supplies at a given time. But hey, those aint dents, they're battle scars. And it aint beat up, it just has character!

DeathCougar 02-25-2007 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1 (Post 50447139)
If your putting one in. Get some clothesline rope put in the track of the gasket have someone outside push "not hard or you'll tear the gasket", while someone inside pulls the line and gradually rolls the gasket back .Work your way around and you'll be done. Takes 5 minutes. Taking one out just work the gasket until its popping out then have a friend pull while you push! Good luck!

use some Soapy water too. Really helps.

surf4runner 02-26-2007 10:36 AM

use bar soap on the rope. (so you dont drop it :laugh: )