YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Rhino lining on body of truck/4runner (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rhino-lining-body-truck-4runner-126043/)

WillRadford 06-25-2008 09:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, so I started this thread a while back, and since then I have finished my Herculiner project. Someone PMed me asking how it turned out so I thought I would post some pics on here and what I learned:

Attachment 180494

Attachment 180495

Attachment 180496

Attachment 180497

Attachment 180498

The biggest thing I learned was 1) to not let it rain on fresh Herculiner (I painted it on and left it outside and an hour later it rained and it bubbled up a little bit. You can't tell now but if I wouldn't have caught it early enough it would have ruined it), and 2) Don't wait too long to put the UV protectant on. I put mine on a month later and that wasn't too big a deal, but I didn't re-tape so I didn't get the UV protectant all the way to the edge, so now there is an 1/8" gap where there isn't herculiner and you can see that now. Just make sure you cover it good with the UV protectant. It will start to look like crap without it. I need to go out and retape the whole thing and get the UV protectant everywhere I missed the first time I tried. Also, I've learned that its tough to get mud out of the Herculined areas after you've gone wheeling. It takes a little more work than just a normal car wash.

dmorenoprieto 06-25-2008 09:38 PM

Not too long ago I pulled the carpet out of the back of my 94 4runner and used duplicolor for it. It's not bad but I wished I would have left the adhesive stuff that they put down for noise reduction I think. After that I did the inside panels (in front of the rear speakers) and I did my bumpers and mirrors. I plan on doing the inside of my tailgate, the back of the seats as well as my whole exterior. It would cover a few scratches and it would protect the paint. No more waxing and buffing, just spray it with a hose.

By the way, the herculiner stuff is expensive in my opinion. I used duplicolor in a spray can and the also have a roll-on kit and quarts and gallons.

Good luck

driveithard 06-25-2008 09:45 PM

how much is this hurcline stuff i want to doo all around my truck in it if its cheaperthan a new fenders!

89silverpu 06-25-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by driveithard (Post 50860229)
how much is this hurcline stuff i want to doo all around my truck in it if its cheaperthan a new fenders!

You can find it on sale sometimes for around 80 bucks for a roll on kit with a gallon of Herculiner...but I would say on average 100 bucks for a gallon kit

PCE91V64x4 06-26-2008 04:34 AM

I think I paid $70 or $79 for the bedliner kit at Wal-Mart and got a $25 rebate. If you watch the Sunday advertisements in the paper for Pep-Boys you will see when there is a rebate on Herculiner.

Fink 06-26-2008 05:01 AM

You can also get the blue spray cans of Duplicolor if you don't want to roll it on. But depending on how big of an area it may be easier to roll it on.

I prefer the bedliner to the rubberized "undercoating" type stuff. That stuff has the tendency to turn brown and look really ugly.

It protects well and also acts as a decent sound barrier but it is still not quite ideal for areas that are exposed.

Fink:devil:

blueyoda 06-26-2008 05:20 AM

I paid $79 for the duplicolor bedliner kit, I plan on doing the whole truck, I did the bottom half of the 4 runner this week, I will post for pics.

94Runner4x4 06-26-2008 06:10 AM

looks good! good job! an yea when i did mine, it almost got rained on luckily I was able to pull it into the garage before the rain started!

blueyoda 06-26-2008 06:33 AM

it rained 3 minuites after I finished spraying the runner, Had to get a huge tarp to cover the truck, still f*&$ed up the front and had to do another coat.

WillRadford 06-26-2008 09:39 PM

I only needed a little pint container of it for what I did and that cost me $20 or $30 at AutoZone. Then I paid another $20 for the UV protectant.

blueyoda 06-27-2008 05:13 AM

what is the uv protectant. I would like to do that also because the bedliner will fade bad.

WillRadford 06-27-2008 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by blueyoda (Post 50861147)
what is the uv protectant. I would like to do that also because the bedliner will fade bad.

UV Protectant

It will fade noticeably after a couple of months. The UV protectant keeps it looking black and shiny. Good stuff. Like I said though, put it on pretty liberally. You'll notice areas fading where you didn't get it on good.

blueyoda 06-27-2008 08:37 AM

do you think it will work fine with the duplicolor bedliner too? duplicolor doesn't have a uv topcoat to use on there website.

WillRadford 06-27-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by blueyoda (Post 50861238)
do you think it will work fine with the duplicolor bedliner too? duplicolor doesn't have a uv topcoat to use on there website.

I have no idea if it will work on the Duplicolor bedliner. I'd say you got a 50/50 shot. If Duplicolor and Herculiner are made up of the same stuff then I'd think it'd work. If I were a Chemist I would probably know. Too bad I hate Chemistry.

Alindqu1 07-08-2008 07:13 PM

hey i have a quick question do you put that stuff on with a roll on brush or paint it on with a brush? also did you tape the truck for the painting?

WillRadford 07-08-2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alindqu1 (Post 50869475)
hey i have a quick question do you put that stuff on with a roll on brush or paint it on with a brush? also did you tape the truck for the painting?

Definitely taped it all. Taping the arches around the wheel wells was a pain in the butt. Used a little 3" roller for most of it, and used a paint brush for the tight spots.

blueyoda 07-09-2008 06:14 AM

I like to spray it on. The SHULTZ GUN was cheap ($12) and it does a great job. I have used that little gun on a lot of stuff. The quart sized can threads on and go!

94Runner4x4 07-09-2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by blueyoda (Post 50869806)
I like to spray it on. The SHULTZ GUN was cheap ($12) and it does a great job. I have used that little gun on a lot of stuff. The quart sized can threads on and go!

That's a good idea, never thought of that. But yea i rolled it on with the little roller in the box and used a bruch for the tight spots like WillRadford said.

MIKEMOKAS 07-09-2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by blueyoda (Post 50869806)

where did you get this shultz gun from? is it a little bedliner gun or what?

blueyoda 07-09-2008 01:58 PM

I think they are one and the same, shultz must have been the original makers of that style. 30-40psi makes short work of the job, did the runner in 5 mins once taped.