YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Radiator filler neck (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/radiator-filler-neck-289829/)

horunner1x 07-09-2015 04:06 PM

Radiator filler neck

1 Attachment(s)
Noticed this yesterday during an oil change. No idea how long it's been cracked. No leak. Pressure tested it and was good up to 14psi which is just over what the oem cap is rated for(88kpa). Anyone else ever have this? I think it's an oem radiator made of brass or copper or whatever. Should I JB weld this or what? Have a desert trip planned this weekend and not enough time to find a radiator and replace it now!
Attachment 119593
Notice the hairline crack at the base of filler neck? Popped the cap and couldn't feel any cracks inside the feeler cap or see any either.

Turd Furgeson 07-09-2015 05:18 PM

That's common. Don't jb weld it. Take it to a radiator shop and have them unsolder it,clean and tin the fill neck and the tank,then have them solder it back on. Being that it's a downflow radiator and there's plenty of room,they can do it in the truck. It's better to take the rad out of the truck so they can work on it on the bench and get a better pressure test on it. That radiator looks pretty crusty and I'm willing to bet it has other issues that you didn't see with your in truck pressure test. But if you're in a hurry at least have a good radiator shop re solder that fill neck.

horunner1x 07-09-2015 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson (Post 52280332)
That's common. Don't jb weld it. Take it to a radiator shop and have them unsolder it,clean and tin the fill neck and the tank,then have them solder it back on. Being that it's a downflow radiator and there's plenty of room,they can do it in the truck. It's better to take the rad out of the truck so they can work on it on the bench and get a better pressure test on it. That radiator looks pretty crusty and I'm willing to bet it has other issues that you didn't see with your in truck pressure test. But if you're in a hurry at least have a good radiator shop re solder that fill neck.

It's just cruddy cause it's got three desert trips on it with no engine bay cleaning :nana:
Inside of rad looks real clean.

Mr.Utah 07-09-2015 08:55 PM

Agreed. Or for the same price get a new radiator.

Odin 07-09-2015 09:30 PM

I see some white stuff around the area and possibly some green coolant?
Have you ever tested the coolant for electrolysis? Probably not a likely cause of the radiator failing since it's copper.

wyoming9 07-09-2015 11:20 PM

The Radiator Repair God has spoken with Good Advice!!:wrench:

horunner1x 07-10-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 52280365)
I see some white stuff around the area and possibly some green coolant?
Have you ever tested the coolant for electrolysis? Probably not a likely cause of the radiator failing since it's copper.

No white crud on or around the cap. Coolant is cause I took off the cap off and dripped some around.

Odin 07-10-2015 05:30 AM

If it was me I'd cancel the trip and do as T/F suggested. It's just not worth the chance to me.
On a trip or in the desert is not where you want to try your luck unless you have extra time and cash.
Plus with how common blown head gaskets are on this generation, no thanks.

horunner1x 07-10-2015 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 52280386)
If it was me I'd cancel the trip and do as T/F suggested. It's just not worth the chance to me.
On a trip or in the desert is not where you want to try your luck unless you have extra time and cash.
Plus with how common blown head gaskets are on this generation, no thanks.

22r's and re's are know for head gasket issues? Hmm I've never heard that other than its a good idea to just replace them every 100k. Or at least I think I've read that.

Odin 07-10-2015 06:04 AM

Aluminum heads + unwanted heat can cause casting irregularities in the form of high and low spots (warpage). These irregularities reduce the heads clamping surface area and compromises the head gaskets sealing ability.

It's much more common to happen on aluminum heads Vs. steel but some steel heads were thinly constructed and have problems as well.

horunner1x 07-10-2015 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 52280389)
Aluminum heads + unwanted heat can lead to high and low spots creating gasket problems.
Much more common to have this problem on aluminum heads Vs. steel.

Oh that's what you meant. Haha thought you were saying the engines are prone to head problems haha. Yea probably gonna take it to a shop or do it myself or something this weekend.