YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Pulled off the head (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/pulled-off-head-128089/)

Mister Willie 10-25-2007 11:43 AM

Pulled off the head

I pulled the head on my 84 pickup, it's got an 85 22R in it. I know this is the 86-95 forum but, its a 22R question and this section elicits more responses usually.

Ok.. So I pulled the head and I wanted to know what you guys think I should do with it. The head gasket was leaking around the front of the timing chain cover, which is why I pulled it. I know I should take it to a local machine shop to have it resurfaced in the event of any small amount of warpage. Can you guys tell me anything else I might ask the machine shop to do? Anything else you can recommend while I got it all broken down?

As far as putting the intake manifold back on, should I do that with the head on a bench, or should I do it in the vehicle? I'm leaning towards the bench idea since it was such a pain..

youngyota88 10-25-2007 12:05 PM

i am fine tuning my head job i just put back togather a few days ago. you should check the chain and the driver side of the head where the chain goes, if you see 2 grooves you might want to check into a new timing set.

Mister Willie 10-25-2007 12:23 PM

I already replaced the timing chain just a few weeks ago, got a new set from EngnBldr

slacker 10-25-2007 04:15 PM

have them regrind the valves and seats .. and check the valve guides . also have them surface the TOPS of the valves .

then call toyota , and get some NEW adjustment screws .

langzaiguy 10-25-2007 06:27 PM

I'm going to invest in a new cam and a fuel filter. If I remember right, yours is by the gas tank (lucky). Yeah, definitely take a look at your chain. I'm going to play mine by ear and see if I need to replace it. Most of the guys on here will tell you to just go ahead and replace it.

Mister Willie 10-25-2007 06:45 PM

I did the chain a few weeks ago.

fillsrunner4 10-25-2007 06:52 PM

just get the head resurfaced and ask him while your there how the head looks? although just by eye at the time he may notice somthing you may not see then off that decide if you would like him to rebuild the head. i asked my machinest if he could just do the head and he said no because he cant waranty just the head if i installed the rest. he would have to build my entire motor to do so

nmtoy 10-25-2007 07:07 PM

Go see Eric at Santa Fe Auto Machine, he knows alot about 22R motors.

Robb

toyotatom93 10-25-2007 08:31 PM

I would maybe get a new chain lol
Water pump?

Mister Willie 10-27-2007 11:02 AM

NmToy,

Thanks for the advice! I had heard about SF Auto Machine having experience with Yota engines but now I have a name, so that helps too.

Tom: I did the chain a few weeks ago :) And the Water pump too!

Oh and thanks everyone for the input. I just didn't want to walk into a machine shop and let them take me and my money for a ride because I've never dealt with this kind of engine maintenance.

n4ynu1010 10-27-2007 11:57 AM

Head Gasket

Originally Posted by Mister Willie (Post 50649832)
I pulled the head on my 84 pickup, it's got an 85 22R in it. I know this is the 86-95 forum but, its a 22R question and this section elicits more responses usually.

Ok.. So I pulled the head and I wanted to know what you guys think I should do with it. The head gasket was leaking around the front of the timing chain cover, which is why I pulled it. I know I should take it to a local machine shop to have it resurfaced in the event of any small amount of warpage. Can you guys tell me anything else I might ask the machine shop to do? Anything else you can recommend while I got it all broken down?

As far as putting the intake manifold back on, should I do that with the head on a bench, or should I do it in the vehicle? I'm leaning towards the bench idea since it was such a pain..

Have them do a valve job/guides/seals/seats , at least check them and polish the seats a bit if they are in good shape .