YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Hazard lights won't work, but turn signals do (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/hazard-lights-wont-work-but-turn-signals-do-181180/)

blue_CA_yota 05-02-2009 05:35 PM

Hazard lights won't work, but turn signals do

I've recently picked up an 89 4Runner with the 22re and 5spd, and I'm in the process of getting it safetied/certified, and the last remaining item on my list is getting the hazard lights to work

Both turn signals work, but the hazard lights don't. The switch appears to be in good working order, the relay at the drivers foot works and I can hear it clicking with the turn signals, and the fuse under the hood which has the horn and hazard lights works because my horn works.

I have the haynes manual, but I've had no success with it..

Is there another relay or fuse which controls the 4-way flashers?

I've got to find a copy of the original owners manual to find out what the fuses and relays in the panel are for

eric-the-red 05-02-2009 07:22 PM

I don't think it can be anything else but the hazard switch. The same flasher is used for both turn signals and hazards, so if the turn signals are working it must be OK. Likewise with the bulbs, and like you said the horn and hazards use the same fuse so it must be OK.
Looking at the wiring diagram the hazard switch is actually 2 switches in one. One turns on the flasher unit and the other connects the output of the flasher to the bulbs. When the switch is turned on the blue/white wire should be connected to the green one, and the blue/red should be connected to the green/black and the green/yellow. My wiring diagram is for a 95 so I can't guarantee the colours will be the same though.

Kiroshu 05-02-2009 07:24 PM

(HAZ-HORN) fuse.....

2wheeltrailraider 05-02-2009 08:17 PM

i have to agre with eric. if your turn signals are working, and all fuses are good. i would look at the switch. as odd as it sounds i have had abs lights go out because of bad bulbs i replaced, when the owner spent hundreds at other shops who told him it would cost to much to fix. get a chiltons and go thru the wiring diags for your truck. then wit ha test light start at the switch and move to the bulbs. (thats what alot of shops charge you a diag fee for)

Kiroshu 05-02-2009 08:20 PM

take the steering clolum cover off and see if the switch looks corroded or gumed up with food or somethin.... check grounds.... i've not heard of many haz switches going out.... kinda odd...

blue_CA_yota 05-03-2009 06:47 AM

Eric - Thats my plan of attack for today, since there aren't any "hidden" fuses anywhere within the truck

Kiroshu - HAZ-HORN fuse is intact, I checked it and the horn still works.. I also took apart the switch yesterday and cleaned some grease, crumbs and other stuff junk in the switch, didn't fix it

2wheel -I've got the haynes manual, and I'm workin through it, gonna check wire by wire, ground by ground..

thanks for the suggestions

blue_CA_yota 05-03-2009 12:39 PM

Solved the problem..

Going to the hazard switch is three green wires.. GO, GL, GW.. GL always has power, GW has power when the lights are off (as default to allow the turn signals to work), GO is supposed to get power from the HORN-HAZ power line when the switch is turned on.

Somewhere from where GO connects to the HORN-HAZ power line, the wire is cut/corroded/broken so GO was cold.. I added a 2 inch piece of wire that connects GO to GL and the system works as usual. Only difference now is that a blown HORN-HAZ fuse won't kill my hazard lights.

I noticed that the hazard lights don't work without the keys in the ON position, however I think that's by design because they are powered by the horn which also only receives power when the keys are in ON position.. Is this just my screwed up wiring, or is that the case with the hazard lights in the 4Runner? ..That they do not work unless the keys are in ON position..

Jay351 05-03-2009 01:24 PM

The Haz should have power at all times, because the horn does too :) the horn works on a switched ground circut..

blue_CA_yota 05-03-2009 02:31 PM

my horn only has power when the key is switched to the ON position.. Guess I have more wiring issues to work out..

blue_CA_yota 05-03-2009 03:57 PM

ok correction.. the horn does work without the keys in the ignition..

I think I was testing the horn when I had the wiring harness under the steering column disconnected.. haha, stupid move I know, but it should be just a quick fix now..

NicCantDecide 05-04-2009 10:08 AM

Toyota's grounded switch stuff is really annoying. I have to completely switch my thinking patterns when I work on my truck.

Its like my old british bike with positive frame...they do everything backwards.

blue_CA_yota 05-04-2009 01:55 PM

problem fixed.. Have the hazards wired through a constant power source..

B4Runner 02-17-2010 07:33 PM

i just did this in my 88 runner. turn signals worked but the hazards nor the horn did. its the haz-horn fuse under the hood. 15 amp fuse. easy fix

milehigheric 02-18-2010 12:51 AM

Did you even read the thread, or just post what happened to you even though it has already been covered and checked off?

Rippinthewaves 02-18-2010 12:11 PM

yeah, check your fuse. :chair:

B4Runner 02-18-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by milehigheric (Post 51368709)
Did you even read the thread, or just post what happened to you even though it has already been covered and checked off?

Yes, I did read the whole entire thread, thank you very much. If you read the thread, you would have seen that everyone says the fuse, and a few people say its from experience. So, I gave my input on it as well since I experienced the exact problem. That's why I searched and found this thread. So I was letting the poster know I had the same problem and that it was the fuse, just like everyone says. Happy now?

milehigheric 02-18-2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by B4Runner (Post 51369546)
Yes, I did read the whole entire thread, thank you very much. If you read the thread, you would have seen that everyone says the fuse, and a few people say its from experience. So, I gave my input on it as well since I experienced the exact problem. That's why I searched and found this thread. So I was letting the poster know I had the same problem and that it was the fuse, just like everyone says. Happy now?

Baha...so you didnt notice the little old post that says fuses are checked and fine. Here I even quoted that little one for you.

Kiroshu - HAZ-HORN fuse is intact, I checked it and the horn still works.. I also took apart the switch yesterday and cleaned some grease, crumbs and other stuff junk in the switch, didn't fix it

Luiss 02-12-2016 10:25 AM

how does the hazard switch work

RAD4Runner 02-12-2016 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luiss (Post 52309080)
how does the hazard switch work

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52242207