YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   22re rough idle, cutting out... help! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/22re-rough-idle-cutting-out-help-274570/)

findingfive 10-29-2013 06:24 PM

22re rough idle, cutting out... help!

Every once in a while my 1989 22re will idle really rough, almost as if it's low on oil (which it isn't), or running out of gas (don't ask how i know what that's like :bang: ). Sometimes it also does it while driving, feels like a total loss of power and cuts out then comes right back. If I drive and rev it up while it's cutting out it helps for a little bit then comes right back. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough to make me want to find out what it is! Any help would be really appreciated!

Things I thought it might be:
Bad Gas?
Bad Spark Plug(s)?
Bad Vacuum Line?
Not enough air?
Bad Plug Wires?

It should be known I recently installed a tach; power and light is coming off where the clock would be (its a DLX model) and the signal is coming off my negative coil post... Maybe that's my issue?

Thanks!

1987YOTAJ 10-29-2013 09:23 PM

I am having a similar problem, but mine seems to be electrical. For instance, sometimes I turn on my headlights and I will get an rpm drop or when I flip on my high beams. I thought it might just be in the column but then tonight I started to roll up my passenger window (power window) it started cutting out really bad. any ideas?

skoti89 10-29-2013 10:59 PM

Sounds like an air issue. Bad/ unplugged AFM will somewhat act like that, but would probably store a code. TPS sensor also. There are ways to test them if you search

skoti89 10-29-2013 11:01 PM

If the computer doesn't know how much air its getting, then it doesn't know how much fuel to inject. Will it not rev up past a certain RPM, then kick the RPMS back down?

findingfive 10-30-2013 07:00 AM

Despite my better judgement, I took it for a drive this morning and tried to narrow it down. It drives ok, but it almost feels like one of the cylinders isn't firing because of how slow my acceleration is. When I downshift the truck runs almost perfect, then as soon as I idle or get on the gas again it starts doing the same thing.

skoti89 the truck can rev up as high as I want it to (2000 rpm was as high as i took it this morning) , and idles low at about 500 rpm. Did some research on the AFM, will look into that more today aswell.

Was thinking of doing plugs, wires, cap, and rotor as soon as I get a chance, or is that in the wrong direction?

Hunt Gath 10-30-2013 08:15 AM

I had a similar issue, mostly when I would accelerate out of first and second gear. Turned out to be carbon buildup on one of my plugs, I would do a quick check on the plugs... Could also be the TPS as other posters have indicated, especially if the truck sensor was calibrated at a different elevation.

skoti89 10-30-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by findingfive (Post 52133670)
Despite my better judgement, I took it for a drive this morning and tried to narrow it down. It drives ok, but it almost feels like one of the cylinders isn't firing because of how slow my acceleration is. When I downshift the truck runs almost perfect, then as soon as I idle or get on the gas again it starts doing the same thing.

skoti89 the truck can rev up as high as I want it to (2000 rpm was as high as i took it this morning) , and idles low at about 500 rpm. Did some research on the AFM, will look into that more today aswell.

Was thinking of doing plugs, wires, cap, and rotor as soon as I get a chance, or is that in the wrong direction?

Take a plug.or.two out and see how bad they are. Take.the cap off.too and inspect it and thr rotor and see.ifnthe brass connection areas are really corroeded and dirty

I'm not an expert and I don't want to tell you the wrong things, but if they're really dirty it could take yoi in the right direction

findingfive 10-30-2013 01:17 PM

skoti89 any help is good help right now so I'll go ahead and do that. I'll get back to you with what I find

findingfive 10-30-2013 05:37 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! After a quick trip to AutoZone today I went ahead and grabbed new plugs, wires, and cap & rotor and after everything went in and I started her up, she purrs again like a kitten! I can't believe the difference from when I started to now! Here's some of the things I picked up and some pictures!

sorry for the low picture quality!

These were the things I got today

Attachment 149532

Difference in caps and rotors

Attachment 149533

Difference in plugs

Attachment 149534

Gnarly buildup on plugs 3 & 4

Attachment 149535
Attachment 149536
Attachment 149537
Attachment 149538

All wired up and ready!

Attachment 149539
Attachment 149540
Attachment 149541

How she looks all happy!

Attachment 149542
Attachment 149543

Thanks again for all the help guys! This forum is a life saver!

-findingfive (dain)