YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   22RE Isn't Breathing Correctly - Any Ideas? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/22re-isnt-breathing-correctly-any-ideas-304387/)

ExperiencedLearner 05-14-2018 10:58 AM

22RE Isn't Breathing Correctly - Any Ideas?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Y'all, I don't have much experience with solving engine issues and hope someone might have some advice for me before I take it in to someone else to fix :cry2:
Info: I am restoring an '88 4Runner with a restored/machined 22RE EFI and was converted from automatic to standard.
Recent History: Its been running great as my daily driver for 7 months now with the exception of running very rich and eating up more oil than I'm used to with modern cars (will tune up next, once issue is resolved).
Problem: After adding some fuel injector cleaning solution to the gas tank (which I think could be relevant), the truck started making a loud stuttering noise after about 1,500rpm in each gear.
Attempts to Fix: Added gasoline in efforts to dilute the injector cleaning solution. Replaced the fuel filter. Replaced the air filter.
Next Attempt: I will replace the O2 sensor next in case this is a feedback issue.
Not sure if this issue is related yet, but i'll mention that the AC/Heater Blower and AC system as a whole stopped working during my latest test drive and fuses look fine. Any feedback or tales of similar issues would be very helpful from those who know more about working on engines!

thefishguy77 05-14-2018 11:42 AM

Don't just throw parts at it. If its running that rich its just going to probably eat the next O2 sensor and fry your cat. Check the codes and see what the truck says is wrong.

How many miles are on the rig? If your going to randomly throw money at it I would recommend cleaning your fuel system out and have your injectors rebuilt, or buy new ones if its a time crunch thing. Also try and only use oem toyota parts on these rigs. Aisin, NGK, Denso etc. All my toyotas have hated anything Bosch related for electrical parts, as an example.

the171 05-14-2018 05:57 PM

A wideband gauge is a must. Its the only way to know if the mixture is right. Equally important is eliminating all engine codes. With no codes and sound wideband operation you know the engine is running properly. Not sure about clogged injectors... Got 500,000km on mine and they work great. An original fuel pump can be weak though. Again, a wideband can shed light. With an old car you really have to get technical and scientific. Because Very few people know about them and can do proper work for you. To use this car all the time you have to learn all the systems and be able to do most if not all work yourself.

Oil burning... Sucks. It really seems like a 22re can run unlimited miles with basic maintenance. But once it burns oil it cant be fixed. A new block or proper build is the only way to go.

About the fan thing... Check the blower switch. These things are notorious for melting. I eliminated mine completely and went with heavy duty switches and wiring. Much better. Full speed is not recommended for longer than 30 seconds. I only use level 2.

wyoming9 05-14-2018 11:47 PM

Seems like your injector cleaner did a little more then was bargained for.

If you have been dumping injector cleaner in since the engine was built and the fuel system cleaned but if this is the first time ever what a mess.

Broke loose all the deposits in the fuel tank quite possible the sock on the fuel pump is covered in crud restricting fuel flow or the pump it`s self has not been damaged

Fuel pressure gauge in your future .

Most fuel problems will not trip the CEL

ExperiencedLearner 05-15-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by the171 (Post 52398491)
A wideband gauge is a must. Its the only way to know if the mixture is right. Equally important is eliminating all engine codes. With no codes and sound wideband operation you know the engine is running properly. Not sure about clogged injectors... Got 500,000km on mine and they work great. An original fuel pump can be weak though. Again, a wideband can shed light. With an old car you really have to get technical and scientific. Because Very few people know about them and can do proper work for you. To use this car all the time you have to learn all the systems and be able to do most if not all work yourself.

Oil burning... Sucks. It really seems like a 22re can run unlimited miles with basic maintenance. But once it burns oil it cant be fixed. A new block or proper build is the only way to go.

About the fan thing... Check the blower switch. These things are notorious for melting. I eliminated mine completely and went with heavy duty switches and wiring. Much better. Full speed is not recommended for longer than 30 seconds. I only use level 2.

You are so right. I want to do everything on this truck myself so I've gotta find someone who can teach me the basics (probably Youtube).
I'll check the blower switch, thanks for the recommendation! But I hope It can last longer than 30 seconds on high for these brutal Houston summers..

ExperiencedLearner 05-15-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52398510)
Seems like your injector cleaner did a little more then was bargained for.

If you have been dumping injector cleaner in since the engine was built and the fuel system cleaned but if this is the first time ever what a mess.

Broke loose all the deposits in the fuel tank quite possible the sock on the fuel pump is covered in crud restricting fuel flow or the pump it`s self has not been damaged

Fuel pressure gauge in your future .

Most fuel problems will not trip the CEL

Thanks for the tip Wyoming, that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to start here.