YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   1st gen 4runner Weatherstrip cab/top (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/1st-gen-4runner-weatherstrip-cab-top-301726/)

Naked Runner 09-06-2017 01:53 PM

1st gen 4runner Weatherstrip cab/top

My top to cab seal on my 1987 4Runner is dry rot and leaks the Weatherstrip from Toyota Part Number: 65888-89102 has been discontinued for years. I have searched a lot and found nothing. I have read a lot of threads and didn't find anyone had got a solution for a sub for it. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Naked Runner 09-22-2017 09:13 PM

I ended up trying this It has been dry and no signs of leaking at all.
I see a few people looked at this so I just wanted to follow up on what I came up with on my own.
It looks almost like stock installed as well.

old87yota 09-22-2017 09:34 PM

I am glad you found something that worked!

Thanks for replying back and sharing what works.

I wish there was more quality aftermarket support for parts like these for our trucks.

:safari:

Nervo19 09-23-2017 05:08 PM

Perfect. I was going to suggest paging through Amazon. That looks exactly right. This is better because if Toyota still made it you know it would cost $150.

jakey poo 09-29-2017 02:05 PM

Any pics of the amazon foam installed?

89fourrunner 10-10-2017 06:22 AM

I know this post is getting old but it is worth noting that the Softopper company sells tons of spare parts, one of which is replacement bulb seal for the hardtop (because they require you to leave it in place during installation - so if the oem cab seal on your truck is shot they will send you a new one so the soft top is leak free.) They also have bolts for the hardtop and more. So in the future if no one feels like doing the hunting Softopper will sell and ship to you bulb seal for the hardtop and hardtop bolts for a reasonable price. It is a good quality seal, correct bulb shape, with a run off lip. (I used to have their soft top before I got an STC).

It is also $15 instead of $45.

user 82300 07-30-2021 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 89fourrunner (Post 52379168)
I know this post is getting old but it is worth noting that the Softopper company sells tons of spare parts, one of which is replacement bulb seal for the hardtop (because they require you to leave it in place during installation - so if the oem cab seal on your truck is shot they will send you a new one so the soft top is leak free.) They also have bolts for the hardtop and more. So in the future if no one feels like doing the hunting Softopper will sell and ship to you bulb seal for the hardtop and hardtop bolts for a reasonable price. It is a good quality seal, correct bulb shape, with a run off lip. (I used to have their soft top before I got an STC).

It is also $15 instead of $45.

SUPER LONG shot but can anyone confirm softoppers bulb seal works? I am trying to get a lead on an aftermarket weatherstrip for my 84 4runner. Previous owner used sillicone and I installed a soft top from LCE but have a couple months before I need to install the hard top.

Naked Runner 07-30-2021 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jloffermann (Post 52466251)
SUPER LONG shot but can anyone confirm softoppers bulb seal works? I am trying to get a lead on an aftermarket weatherstrip for my 84 4runner. Previous owner used sillicone and I installed a soft top from LCE but have a couple months before I need to install the hard top.

Yes it does work and looks to be identical to the original. I installed one last year after I took the oddball one I found that worked.

wyoming9 07-30-2021 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jloffermann (Post 52466251)

Can`t say about that brand but I know there is a company out there that makes all kind of weather stripping. Like10mm wrenches I never can find things when I look forthem.

Why not go with Silicone Caulking again I use it for so much I go through a few cases a year

user 82300 07-30-2021 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Naked Runner (Post 52466255)
Yes it does work and looks to be identical to the original. I installed one last year after I took the oddball one I found that worked.

Thank you so much for the confirmation! Mine was gone when I purchased it. Appears it attaches to the cab of the truck and not the hard top? Mine had gobs of silicone from the previous owner.

user 82300 07-30-2021 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52466257)
Can`t say about that brand but I know there is a company out there that makes all kind of weather stripping. Like10mm wrenches I never can find things when I look forthem.

Why not go with Silicone Caulking again I use it for so much I go through a few cases a year

I have a bikini top from lce engineering I run in the summer but due to the winter/rain I need to put the hard top one. We get about 60in on most years.