Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st gen 4runner Weatherstrip cab/top

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st gen 4runner Weatherstrip cab/top

My top to cab seal on my 1987 4Runner is dry rot and leaks the Weatherstrip from Toyota Part Number: 65888-89102 has been discontinued for years. I have searched a lot and found nothing. I have read a lot of threads and didn't find anyone had got a solution for a sub for it. Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 PM

I ended up trying this
Weatherstripping Weatherstripping
It has been dry and no signs of leaking at all.
I see a few people looked at this so I just wanted to follow up on what I came up with on my own.
It looks almost like stock installed as well.

Last edited by Naked Runner; 09-22-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I am glad you found something that worked!

Thanks for replying back and sharing what works.

I wish there was more quality aftermarket support for parts like these for our trucks.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Perfect. I was going to suggest paging through Amazon. That looks exactly right. This is better because if Toyota still made it you know it would cost $150.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Any pics of the amazon foam installed?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this post is getting old but it is worth noting that the Softopper company sells tons of spare parts, one of which is replacement bulb seal for the hardtop (because they require you to leave it in place during installation - so if the oem cab seal on your truck is shot they will send you a new one so the soft top is leak free.) They also have bolts for the hardtop and more. So in the future if no one feels like doing the hunting Softopper will sell and ship to you bulb seal for the hardtop and hardtop bolts for a reasonable price. It is a good quality seal, correct bulb shape, with a run off lip. (I used to have their soft top before I got an STC).

It is also $15 instead of $45.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 10-10-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
I know this post is getting old but it is worth noting that the Softopper company sells tons of spare parts, one of which is replacement bulb seal for the hardtop (because they require you to leave it in place during installation - so if the oem cab seal on your truck is shot they will send you a new one so the soft top is leak free.) They also have bolts for the hardtop and more. So in the future if no one feels like doing the hunting Softopper will sell and ship to you bulb seal for the hardtop and hardtop bolts for a reasonable price. It is a good quality seal, correct bulb shape, with a run off lip. (I used to have their soft top before I got an STC).

It is also $15 instead of $45.
SUPER LONG shot but can anyone confirm softoppers bulb seal works? I am trying to get a lead on an aftermarket weatherstrip for my 84 4runner. Previous owner used sillicone and I installed a soft top from LCE but have a couple months before I need to install the hard top.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jloffermann
SUPER LONG shot but can anyone confirm softoppers bulb seal works? I am trying to get a lead on an aftermarket weatherstrip for my 84 4runner. Previous owner used sillicone and I installed a soft top from LCE but have a couple months before I need to install the hard top.
Yes it does work and looks to be identical to the original. I installed one last year after I took the oddball one I found that worked.
The following users liked this post:
user 82300 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Jloffermann
Can`t say about that brand but I know there is a company out there that makes all kind of weather stripping. Like10mm wrenches I never can find things when I look forthem.

Why not go with Silicone Caulking again I use it for so much I go through a few cases a year
Old 07-30-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Naked Runner
Yes it does work and looks to be identical to the original. I installed one last year after I took the oddball one I found that worked.
Thank you so much for the confirmation! Mine was gone when I purchased it. Appears it attaches to the cab of the truck and not the hard top? Mine had gobs of silicone from the previous owner.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Can`t say about that brand but I know there is a company out there that makes all kind of weather stripping. Like10mm wrenches I never can find things when I look forthem.

Why not go with Silicone Caulking again I use it for so much I go through a few cases a year

I have a bikini top from lce engineering I run in the summer but due to the winter/rain I need to put the hard top one. We get about 60in on most years.