Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fender-bender fan issues- Please, help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fender-bender fan issues- Please, help.

Hi all. First time posting but long-time fan of the forum. I have a well-loved 95 4Runner known as the "Momster Truck". She even has flames! We were in a small fender-bender a month ago and I thought she sustained minor cosmetic damage to lights and slight buckling to hood that could be straightened out. Unfortunately, we are experiencing problems with a fan. The fan (I think it may be called the A/C condenser fan) is visible through the front grille and continues to run throughout the night if I don't unplug the battery. I have drained 2 batteries while searching for solutions. I can see that the metal mesh covering fan has a dent in it and I'm pretty sure that the impact has caused this problem. I've collected info about repairs, parts, replacements and,relay switches in my research. Can someone point me in the right direction with possible solutions for my poor baby? Diagrams and step-by step instructions are extremely appreciated. I am not mechanically-gifted with vehicles like so many of you, but I do "putter" with my power tools and build 3D printers for fun so I am not without some rudimentary skill and knowledge. I'm attaching a few images of the problematic area. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can share.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM

The condenser fan is ground switched through the relays (meaning the fan has constant + battery power supplied to it), so any short in the wire that goes from the fan to the relays will cause the fan to run constantly. The relays and fuse for the condenser fan live next to the engine fuse box on the passenger side by the battery. Easiest fix is pulling the condenser fan fuse, that will stop draining the battery until you can find the short... just don't use the a/c while it's out, it might overheat the engine. Probably the wire from the relays to the fan is damaged, and shorting out on the body somewhere. The wire harness goes from the fuse/relay box, under/next to the battery, through the radiator support where the a/c hoses/pipes go through, and down to the fan, right next to the headlight, behind the bumper. The ground side wire also runs over to the resistor on the driver's side of the a/c condenser, You'll probably have to pull the grille and bumper to find the short, but you need to do that anyway to pull out the damage. My '90 4runner had front end damage similar to yours, but both sides, and I managed to pull/beat out all the fender and radiator core support damage with come-alongs, heavy duty c-clamps, blocks of hardwood, and BFH's (hammers). Youuuu can doooo eeeet!!! The grill and bumper needed to be replaced tho, they were trashed.

This diagram shows the fan ground as blue (L) and the hot as brown (BR), but on my '94 harness (converted my '90 to a '94 R-134a junkyard system), the fan wires are actually blue and black-red stripe (hot).

Funny how the world works.... while replying to this, I went out to check my harness and discovered two things:
1. The condenser fan fuse is blown, probably happened in the accident, I think the a/c was on at the time and that poor fan got mushed.
2. The connector on the wire that runs from the + terminal on the battery to the fuse box is broken where it connects to the battery.

Probably would have taken me hours to chase these problems down if I hadn't responded to your question and went and checked.

Anyway, try pulling the condenser fan fuse (labeled CDS FAN 30A on the fuse/relay box) for immediate relief from battery drainage. Hope that helps, let all of us know if it works.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:31 PM

You could also unplug the fan. The connector is at the bottom of the fan, behind the bumper. The fuse would be the easier solution though.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 PM

A third option (is that too many?) would be to unplug the connector EA1. It lives between the battery and the fuse box, and has 3 wires in it... One heavy gauge yellow wire, and two smaller control wires- black with white stripe and green with white or yellow stripe. That will disconnect the condenser fan circuit as well.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much for your info and words of encouragement!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Were you able to fix the problem?