Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re running rich

So I just picked up an 86 4runner with the 22re. Drove it 3 hrs home. Runs pretty solid, idles well, but is extremely rich. The entire cab reeks of fumes after getting up in 2nd and 3rd gear. It was so bad after driving home my eyes were hurting lol. Obviously failed smog because of high hc levels. Just wondering what I should be troubleshooting first here on the 22re. There is no check engine light on and couldn't get any codes to be thrown. Dont know what was wrong there but that's for another day I suppose. Any tips would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Did the PO change or upgrade the injectors?

I tried some bigger upgraded injectors years ago and eye burnage was involved, either way it shouldn’t be in the cab, any exhaust leaks?

Last edited by Discombobulated; 06-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You probably have an exhaust leak as well as cabin sealing issues.

Inspect..
Exhaust plumbing.
Evap system.
Firewall, and rear cabin seals.
Then figure out why (if needed) it isn't entering closed loop mode (ECU controls AFR).

At a minimum you're probably going to find issues with the oxygen sensor, like it's not reading the exhaust stream due to leaks or grunge. Your tail pipe doesn't extend outside the under side of the body. The rear window seals are shot.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Did the PO change or upgrade the injectors?

I tried some bigger upgraded injectors years ago and eye burnage was involved, either way it shouldn’t be in the cab, any exhaust leaks?
I'm not sure about this. I'll be sure to check this out. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

Inspect..
Exhaust plumbing.
Evap system.
Then figure out why (if needed) it isn't entering closed loop mode (ECU controls AFR).

At a minimum you're probably going to find issues with the oxygen sensor, like it's not reading the exhaust stream due to leaks or grunge. Your tail pipe doesn't extend outside the under side of the body. The rear window seals are shot.
Rear window seals are def shot, just like about every window. Def cabin seal issues. Any good referrals on where to buy window seals? I know this is probably the last step in fixing my issue, but jw.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:01 AM

Inspect..
Exhaust plumbing.
Evap system.

I also notice that my temp gauge stays very low like the engine isn't getting warm. Could that effect the o2 sensor kicking in the closed loop mode?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaaarden
I also notice that my temp gauge stays very low like the engine isn't getting warm. Could that effect the o2 sensor kicking in the closed loop mode?
Correct.

If the engine actually isn't getting warm, or if the ECU sensor isn't telling the ECU it's warm it will not enter closed loop.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:03 AM

Correct.

If the engine actually isn't getting warm, or if the ECU sensor isn't telling the ECU it's warm it will not enter closed loop.
So for this issue I need to check the ecu sensor? Or what should I check to make sure it's getting up to the correct temperature?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I would pull the thermostat and see if it is stuck open. New thermostats are easy if needed. Always buy a toyota one.
A stuck open thermostat will prevent the engine from warming up properly. They open and close as needed based on radiator coolant temp to keep you engine at the right temp. Often times people have one fail and don't know better and install a "fail safe" one in there. DO NOT put one of those in. They seem to fail, permanently open, every time in Toyota's.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I would pull the thermostat and see if it is stuck open. New thermostats are easy if needed. Always buy a toyota one.
A stuck open thermostat will prevent the engine from warming up properly. They open and close as needed based on radiator coolant temp to keep you engine at the right temp. Often times people have one fail and don't know better and install a "fail safe" one in there. DO NOT put one of those in. They seem to fail, permanently open, every time in Toyota's.
Okay thank you for the help!