86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1993 Toyota Pickup dies after I hit a pothole??

Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 Toyota Pickup dies after I hit a pothole??

I was coming home from grabbing dinner last night and I hit a pothole and then the truck died as if it is either not getting fuel or spark. Battery is fine and it will crank, but it will not start. Is there an inertia switch in these trucks that could need to be reset? It was around 9:30pm when it happened, and I left my tools and flashlight at the house like an idiot because I was moving some furniture a few days prior so I wasn't really able to test anything. That will be tonight as long as the rain holds up. Just wondering if you guys know where I should check other than the normal items such as plug wires and fuel lines? Maybe a fuel relay got knocked loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just read your issue and I have similar issue..........hit a dip, was running fine and now won't idle..........seems to run fine at highway speed but dies at idle.........by the way 84 SR5.......extra cab........not hijacking the thread but could be related. These trucks can't jump timing that easily can they.??
Old 03-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

What engine is in your truck?

Your Truck does not (or should not) have an inertia switch.

First, you should make a list of what works and what doesn't work. Do headlights work? Turn signals? Dashboard gauges? Blower motor? Radio, etc....

If many of these things do not work, you have lost a main power or ground feed somewhere.

If the only problem found is that the engine won't start, that narrows down the potential causes to air, fuel, spark, timing, and the ability for the engine computer to work properly.

If you have a timing light, you can test for spark by attaching the inductive pickup to each of the spark plug wires. If the timing light flashes, you have spark.

IF you jump the FP and B+ terminals in the diagnostic box (using a bent paper clip or similar) and turn the key to the on position, you should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If you have spark and you can hear the fuel pump running with the jumper in, try to start the truck now. If it starts, then you have a problem in the Air Flow Meter - Circuit Opening Relay circuit.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by old87yota

What engine is in your truck?

Your Truck does not (or should not) have an inertia switch.

First, you should make a list of what works and what doesn't work. Do headlights work? Turn signals? Dashboard gauges? Blower motor? Radio, etc....

If many of these things do not work, you have lost a main power or ground feed somewhere.

If the only problem found is that the engine won't start, that narrows down the potential causes to air, fuel, spark, timing, and the ability for the engine computer to work properly.

If you have a timing light, you can test for spark by attaching the inductive pickup to each of the spark plug wires. If the timing light flashes, you have spark.

IF you jump the FP and B+ terminals in the diagnostic box (using a bent paper clip or similar) and turn the key to the on position, you should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If you have spark and you can hear the fuel pump running with the jumper in, try to start the truck now. If it starts, then you have a problem in the Air Flow Meter - Circuit Opening Relay circuit.

I have verified that I have spark and all of my accessories are working. looking under the truck I noticed this wire hanging loose, but could not find the other end of the connector. I'm going to take the bed off this week. The bolts shouldn;t give me too much of a problem since it has a 2" body lift on it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Like old87yota says ^^^.
Most likely a case of bad/loose connection.

Maybe a fuel relay got knocked loose?
Quite possibly, but we could not tell you where to check look if we don't know what engine you have.
ALWAYS indicate year-model-engine-transmission-trim in describing problems. I strongly-suggest you put that in your signature to (It would have saved us minutes or hours and posts if you did).

Originally Posted by 77lubr
I have verified that I have spark and all of my accessories are working....
And these are while your engine is not able to have combustion?

... noticed this wire hanging loose...
What color?

Since you're removing the bed, best time to inspect fuel pump, mounting, wiring, etc.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER
Just read your issue and I have similar issue..........hit a dip, was running fine and now won't idle..........seems to run fine at highway speed but dies at idle.........by the way 84 SR5.......extra cab........not hijacking the thread but could be related. These trucks can't jump timing that easily can they.??
Nice of you to not start another thread. However, troubleshooting two cases on one thread might get confusing - your symptoms are a little different from O.P. (O.P. does not get combustion at all), so please start your own thread. Of course, it would help to monitor this particular thread, especially if you share same engine.

Put us right at your truck; Let us see, hear, feel, smell what you are working on so we could most effectively help.
Put model-year-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION-trim on signature to prevent waste of time on questions and answers about what should be routine information.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Nice of you to not start another thread. However, troubleshooting two cases on one thread might get confusing - your symptoms are a little different from O.P. (O.P. does not get combustion at all), so please start your own thread. Of course, it would help to monitor this particular thread, especially if you share same engine.

Put us right at your truck; Let us see, hear, feel, smell what you are working on so we could most effectively help.
Put model-year-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION-trim on signature to prevent waste of time on questions and answers about what should be routine information.

Sorry about that RAD.Didn’t mean to intrude. Understand completely. Found another thread that related more and posted there.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
That wire isn't factory (judging by the connectors), so it is either a repair to a factory wire, or a wire for something aftermarket.

It looks like it is leading towards the fuel pump.