Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Help anyone

Old 03-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Help anyone

My puter just crashed
I'm able to start in safe mode but that's it. Running windows 7 pro. I tried to do a restore only 1 came up and it didn't work. I tried everything that windows suggested to do and nothing worked.
Anyone now how I can get an earlier restore point, like i said the only one that comes up won't work.
Or any other advice, I'm not stupid but I'm not a computer wizard either.
I tried starting normal but it gets to the windows and stops, no mouse or keyboard functions
Hoping there is a computer genius on board
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Should be a recovery program built in...I use windows 7 home and kept a keystroke reminder on my phone:

Press left ALT and F10 keys during computer logo startup to initate recovery. But its applicable towards Acer. Maybe it might work similarly for you.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Nope, didn't work for me
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
My puter just crashed
I'm able to start in safe mode but that's it. Running windows 7 pro. I tried to do a restore only 1 came up and it didn't work. I tried everything that windows suggested to do and nothing worked.
Anyone now how I can get an earlier restore point, like i said the only one that comes up won't work.
Or any other advice, I'm not stupid but I'm not a computer wizard either.
I tried starting normal but it gets to the windows and stops, no mouse or keyboard functions
Hoping there is a computer genius on board
Thanks
Mike
Do you have the win7 pro install disk? Did you install new program before it crashed?

Try this cut and paste.

In Safe Mode, press Win + R keys to run MSCONFIG and press OK. (you can also type in msconfig in the search bar) select the clean boot option by unchecking all the options under Selective Startup. Finally, press Apply and restart Windows 7 in normal mode.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by TrafficTechII
Do you have the win7 pro install disk? Did you install new program before it crashed?

Try this cut and paste.

In Safe Mode, press Win + R keys to run MSCONFIG and press OK. (you can also type in msconfig in the search bar) select the clean boot option by unchecking all the options under Selective Startup. Finally, press Apply and restart Windows 7 in normal mode.
TrafficTechII
Hi
Well, I took my pc in and had it checked out, they said it's either the hard drive or the CPU. Puter is quite old circa 2012 I will send you a PM with my contact info, if you can let me know if you think you/we can get this puter back running.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-13-2019, 04:11 PM

TrafficTechII
Many many thanks to you for helping me with my puter.
I owe you one
Thanks
Hump
Old 03-14-2019, 03:22 AM

TrafficTechII
Many many thanks to you for helping me with my puter.
I owe you one
Thanks
Hump
No problem. Glad I could help.
Here are a couple of video's that show how to create a system image. A system image will copy everything on your computer at that time.
I use an external hard drive. Also create restore points

https://www.dummies.com/computers/op...-in-windows-7/

Last edited by TrafficTechII; 03-14-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: added info
The following 2 users liked this post by TrafficTechII:
old87yota (03-14-2019), RAD4Runner (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Wow, thanks for the links
What do you recommend for a external hard drive?
I have 2 computers, should I get an external drive for each?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Wow, thanks for the links
What do you recommend for a external hard drive?
I have 2 computers, should I get an external drive for each?
Personally I like Western Digital. Mike. I have an older Hitachi and I do NOT like it. Each time I connect it to my computer, I need to unplug its power and plug it back in.
I currently have one 3-Terabye external hard drive with USB connect, and a 2TB "Book World".
I keep 1 copy of pics and vids on each hard drive, in case one dies.
The Book World connects with an Ethernet Cable to my router so it can be accessed by any computer on my network that I give permission to. However, you may not want that complication.

Therefore a plain USB port external hard drive would suit you.

It's less hassle if you had one external hard drive per computer. They're inexpensive now. 1 TB each should be plenty for you. ( I take a lots of pics and vids).

Regular size (like ones left at desk) is fine. If you have a computer you use for travel, I suggest you get a portable one to go with that. I haven't yet myself but I saw a compact Samsung at Fry's electronics. I think it uses Flash technology. Lower power requirement and more shock resistant than old-school disk ones.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM

well
crashed again
got it back again
Hard drive?????
Ram all checked out good
Old 03-14-2019, 03:07 PM

How about this
https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=external+hard+drive&qid=1552598510&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=external+hard+drive&qid=1552598510&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
Old 03-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Ended up buying 2 of these
Amazon Amazon
I ended up doing all kinds of tests on my computer and nothing seems to be wrong with it. The ram all checked good, hard drive says it's good so I don't know exactly what the problem is.
It's been back on now and working fine......................jinx
Don't what else there is to try to diagnose the problem. I will leave it on for now and see if it stays alive...........
Guess I'll have to go with windows 10, they stop supporting 7 in January anyway.
Will start to look for a laptop but wouldn't know where to start, everybody has suggestions, what's your's?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Those external hard drives should work just fine.

I don't have any recommendations as far as a new laptop.

I am just using a budget Acer that I bought when Windows 7 was starting to be phased out for Windows 8, which I did NOT want. My laptop started with Windows 7 but now has Windows 10 and has been pretty reliable.

I have been casually looking at Lenovo computers to replace my Acer in the future.

I understand most automotive diagnostics, but when it comes to computers, all of the back-door coding goes right over my head!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
All those look good, mike.
As soon as you receive the hard drives, copy all ur files into both of them to ba safe. Then, try reinstalling operaring system on computers.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Those external hard drives should work just fine.

I understand most automotive diagnostics, but when it comes to computers, all of the back-door coding goes right over my head!

Tell me about it.
I guess I'm lucky to get 5 years out of these reconditioned Dell's They are work stations and work great till.................
Yeah, laptops are really not my preference, fat fingers don't do well with them.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Yeah, laptops are really not my preference, fat fingers don't do well with them.
Even worse with a smartphone! I usually manage to hit two or three letters at the same time. My texts would come out looking like this: hgello Mikew (Hello Mike).

Old 03-14-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
All those look good, mike.
As soon as you receive the hard drives, copy all ur files into both of them to ba safe. Then, try reinstalling operaring system on computers.
I'll do a system image on the 2 computers, 1 on each of the external drives.
I don't have the OS disks, it came loaded on the computer when I bought them. I'm thinking more hardware related then software, but, I have been wrong before.................
Rad. what do you have?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Even worse with a smartphone! I usually manage to hit two or three letters at the same time. My texts would come out looking like this: hgello Mikew (Hello Mike).

LOL
Don't even get me started with I phones.............
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 AM

well
crashed again
got it back again
Hard drive?????
Ram all checked out good
It could be the hard drive. Did you save all your files and pictures? I wouldnt mess with it until I got the system image created.
Did you run chkdsk on the drive? Any bad sectors? Connections good?
I would also try re-seating the RAM and video card. Sometimes the they lose connection from vibrations.
The Hdd's you got are good. I have a WD 4TB external.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TrafficTechII
It could be the hard drive. Did you save all your files and pictures? I wouldnt mess with it until I got the system image created.
Did you run chkdsk on the drive? Any bad sectors? Connections good?
I would also try re-seating the RAM and video card. Sometimes the they lose connection from vibrations.
The Hdd's you got are good. I have a WD 4TB external.
Ok
I did save all my files and pics to a flash drive
I didn't run the chkdsk, it says I can't with the drive in use so I will want till my external drive shows up (tomorrow) will create the system image and then reboot in safe mode command prompt and run chkdsk
That sound like a plan?
I left it on overnight and seems to be working fine, limited use. I did open it up and did some cleaning and made sure the fans were running, a bit dusty in there, all clean now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help anyone