General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

do not order anything from rock auto!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
do not order anything from rock auto!!!

i wished i'd been aware of this before ordering parts for my honda crv.
i needed to replace the lower control arm, lower ball joint, and inner tie rod end on my honda crv. i went with their moog options relying on the brand's reputation. i've ordered from rock auto before even on my subaru and toyotas, but never had a problem. so, i had trust in rock auto, as well. not anymore.
i got the control arm in dec of 2017. took a couple of months to get around to installing it due to the seasonal weather and other factors. a couple of months after installing it, though, i noticing an intermittent clunking sound from that side. i inspected the suspension two or three times myself, had a front end alignment guy look at it, and a trusted mechanic look at it. none of us could find a problem....ie, anything loose or installed incorrectly. fast forward to last saturday when something finally gave loose. the sound got much worse on my way to work, and the steering became loose just like you'd feel if the alignment was way off on any front wheel drive vehicle; hit a bump and the vehicle shifts direction to one side. i made it to work that morning, got underneath, and discovered the bushing mounting spindle for the rearward bushing had snapped off from the control arm and remained dangling in the bushing/subframe location. took me two hours in the parking lot that night to fix it with the help of a friend.
since then, i've been trying to get some kind of reimbursement, but it's proving difficult to impossible due to the way their warranty system is set up. you can't call them...you have to fill out the form online. there's no monetary refund option...only part replacement. and, since i have a new part already (import direct from o'reilly) and i just learned my "moog" part is highly unlikely a genuine moog part because rock auto is not even a genuine moog distributor, i'm only interested in a refund. the defective part is still under rock auto warranty, btw. and, moog can't warranty the part since rock auto is, again, not a genuine moog distributor. moog would warranty it, if they were, and the part was genuinely moog. so, i'm out of luck.
i realize it's partly my fault here for overlooking pertinent details at the time of purchase, but my main point writing this is the part's not a moog and apparently the warranty service/brand switching problem is very, very common with the company. iow's, if you're thinking of ordering from them and you think you're gonna get a good deal on a trusted brand, think twice. you may not be! i was surprised to be getting a "moog" control arm when i ordered for substantially less than other sources. now i know why. and, of course, now i have no recourse except to eat it. shoot...i can't even just contact rock auto to let them know there's a dangerous quality control issue with the part they're supplying
just wanted to warn my fellow yota fans
The following users liked this post:
Mizz (11-07-2023)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the share.

Yeah online buys are pretty much as is. One hell of a time to try and win a defective part dispute after the fact. Usually meant to protect the seller and buyer against items found defective right out of the box. Once they're put to use, the company can legally gain reasonable doubt due to the fact that so many other components could be suspected, even if the purchased part is also in question.

When my confidence isnt high in a particular brand, I sometimes try to buy in person, since return policies tend to be more customer-friendly.

My thoughts only. Sure there can be a range of views on this as there are brands.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 AM

it'd be real obvious the failure is exclusive to this specific part and due to a manufacture defect with photos or hands on inspection. nevertheless, i hadn't considered i wouldn't actually be getting a moog part if rock auto advertised it as such. i learned of rock auto years ago from this forum and, at that time, my experience along with other members was good with them.

i usually try to go local, too, on ease of exchange alone....ie. o'reilly or "the parts store".....the latter of which does carry moog parts. it was just a matter of trying to keep my expense down going with rock auto vs local when i needed to fix this thing. as i recall, the moog part from the parts store would've been near twice what i paid through rock auto. and, i had more faith in moog suspension since i've used their parts many times before and hadn't had much experience with import direct ....which is what o'reilly carries.

anyway, import direct is now on the vehicle, so we'll see. and, like you say, it'll be rest assured to get ease and satisfaction should this part have a problem down the road. it has a lifetime warranty with o'reilly and i've always had fantastic customer service with them on anything i've needed to return before. no hassle whatsoever. been going to this particular branch so long i'm on very friendly terms with much of the management and staff

thank you for your words and thoughts

Last edited by thook; 01-13-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't see how your bad experience with Rock Auto is reason for everybody to not use them. I and many others have never had an issue.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Rock Auto may not be an "authorized" retailer, they are a reputable retailer. I'm willing to bet that all the parts they sell are in fact genuine. If you do some research, you'll find the Moog brand doesn't seem to be the same quality they used to be.Primarily since Federal bought the brand. Kinda sucks considering most of federals other brands are still really good, like Fel-Pro and National. Personally, I won't buy a Moog part. The aftermarket I've had the best luck with for steering and suspension is Mevotech. They cost less too.

As for Rock Autos warranty, they do kinda suck. Again, a quick google search will show you're not the only one with a bad experience. Personally if I'can save a lot of money on a reputable brand by buying from them, then I'll go through them, and eat the warranty. Most things that are major wear components or problematic, I'll buy local just for warranty sake. Aftermarket reman parts I will always buy local, unless the price is astronomical. The steering rack for my Subaru for example, I could have saved about $120 on Rock Auto but finding good remans are so difficult I chose local just for the easy exchange.

I think you'll be happy with the Import direct you bought. I've installed many ID parts and haven't been disappointed. Had a coil pack for a KIA arc through the casing but also had 3 other brands do the same thing til I got one that didn't.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I recently ordered a grille/headlight buckets because mine were looking pretty terrible, received the wrong gen grille, returned, got the same type grille the second time. Tried to get a refund and they wanted me to pay for return shipping, which I was not willing to do. So I called 608-661-1376, technically not their customer service line (they don't have one,) and left a message. I got a call back within minutes, and they sent me a free shipping label, and I received back a full refund including my original shipping cost even though I kept some of the parts. Long story short, their online return/refund process is garbage, the fact that they don't have a dedicate Customer service dept is ridiculous. However, they did finally make my situation right.

My suggestion is to try calling that number, you'll have to leave a message, but like I said I got a call back in just a few minutes (call during business hours)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by se7enine
I don't see how your bad experience with Rock Auto is reason for everybody to not use them. I and many others have never had an issue.
well, i'd never had an issue, either, until now. but, if you look, there's plenty of other negative reports on the web dating from a couple/several years ago...even here on on yt...that i hadn't seen until recently all within the same vein as my issue.

so, it's up to you or anyone else to order from them. i realize how it goes....ymmv. and, i realize the tone of my thread title, but really i'm just saying be aware. again, what i ordered was a moog part, but after talking to the rep at moog...according to the way he laid out how the business goes... moog's not what i got
Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kolton5543
Rock Auto may not be an "authorized" retailer, they are a reputable retailer. I'm willing to bet that all the parts they sell are in fact genuine. If you do some research, you'll find the Moog brand doesn't seem to be the same quality they used to be.Primarily since Federal bought the brand. Kinda sucks considering most of federals other brands are still really good, like Fel-Pro and National. Personally, I won't buy a Moog part. The aftermarket I've had the best luck with for steering and suspension is Mevotech. They cost less too.

As for Rock Autos warranty, they do kinda suck. Again, a quick google search will show you're not the only one with a bad experience. Personally if I'can save a lot of money on a reputable brand by buying from them, then I'll go through them, and eat the warranty. Most things that are major wear components or problematic, I'll buy local just for warranty sake. Aftermarket reman parts I will always buy local, unless the price is astronomical. The steering rack for my Subaru for example, I could have saved about $120 on Rock Auto but finding good remans are so difficult I chose local just for the easy exchange.

I think you'll be happy with the Import direct you bought. I've installed many ID parts and haven't been disappointed. Had a coil pack for a KIA arc through the casing but also had 3 other brands do the same thing til I got one that didn't.
reputable retailer is probably debatable...ie, ymmv. moreover, if their warranty sucks, that kinda puts a dent in that reputable retailer status, doesn't it? and, i did do some internet research right after the part failed and i couldn't get anywhere through rock auto. that's why i posted this thread; read negative reviews. lots!

perhaps moog isn't what they used to be. fair enough. but, if the part were actually moog, according to the rep at moog, they'd warranty it. but, according to him, RA is not a an authorized retailer, so it couldn't actually be a moog part. so, whether it's on moog or rock auto for the quality control issue...either way...the part effin' failed dangerously and there's no way for me to get my money back or to even warn rock auto of the issue. iow's, folks be buying the same part and could have worse results than i...which to me is really more important than getting my money back. there's always more of that

glad to hear positive review on import direct parts. thanks!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
I recently ordered a grille/headlight buckets because mine were looking pretty terrible, received the wrong gen grille, returned, got the same type grille the second time. Tried to get a refund and they wanted me to pay for return shipping, which I was not willing to do. So I called 608-661-1376, technically not their customer service line (they don't have one,) and left a message. I got a call back within minutes, and they sent me a free shipping label, and I received back a full refund including my original shipping cost even though I kept some of the parts. Long story short, their online return/refund process is garbage, the fact that they don't have a dedicate Customer service dept is ridiculous. However, they did finally make my situation right.

My suggestion is to try calling that number, you'll have to leave a message, but like I said I got a call back in just a few minutes (call during business hours)
oh!! there's a number afterall! i never could find one. thanks a bunch! i will try that. if they will make right on this part and correct the qc issue, i will happily amend my position on the company. i've appreciated over the years that i could get parts through them and feel good about putting them on my vehicles. this recent development was just very disappointing. seriously...my wife and i ...or someone else...could have been killed, seriously injured, or totaled my vehicle.

Last edited by thook; 01-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 PM

lol...called the number and got an email shortly after stating there's no customer service by phone....period. basically it says the same thing as on the website; i'm not obligated to take advantage of the warranty offered, but there's absolutely no cash refund, store credit, or exchanged for a different part to compensate. so, i wrote "jeff" back. we'll see if i get a reply
Old 01-18-2019, 01:40 PM

well, i've heard nothing back, so far. if "jeff" doesn't reply or ...better, yet...follow up on the part failure, my opinion and warning to anyone buying from them still stands. i mean, anyone working on the vehicles long enough understands the auto parts retail world well enough to know shart happens and many times it's hit or miss. i just think if a company's not going to have any concern for following up on qc issues like this then the word about them should get around. and, i won't be buying from them, again. i know with atleast the o'reilly where i go they'd be on it. the manager at that store is very proactive towards customer safety and satisfaction. and much of their parts are man'd in china! heck, the lowe's here is the same way. i had problems one after the other with the brand of pressure switch for my well house. i let them know. and, apparently i wasn't the only one. so, guess what? they're phasing out that brand and going back to stocking square d as their main on shelf product. that's how ya do it!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Man that really shocks me. I just checked my emails and it was Ralph that I spoke with there, but its still under the service@rockauto.com email address. I hope for the best for you, and please keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Man that really shocks me. I just checked my emails and it was Ralph that I spoke with there, but its still under the service@rockauto.com email address. I hope for the best for you, and please keep us posted.
yeah. jeff wrote me from the same email address. was it ralph that also called you back?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 AM

I'm not 100% but I believe it was Ralph that I spoke with on the phone.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very informative thread. Thanks for the input and I hope you get your issue resolved OP.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Well I can tell you one thing for sure. Federal Mogul has turned some Wagner brakes into junk.

The latest Z line Wagner brake shoes are the bottom of the barrel. Brake pins installed cocked sideways into the shoes. Thin linings...and then they are not consistent around the shoe. 4.7 mm at the highest point on the last shoes I bought. O'Reilllys premium brake shoes 5.5 mm lining material, and consistent all the way around.

Anyway, point is I think Federal Mogul had cheapened everything including Moog Problem Solver. Tenneco bought Federal Mogul October 2018, so we will see if quality goes back up.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:17 PM

Received 151 Likes on 126 Posts
Use RockAuto all the time and only had two manufacture defective parts out of several dozen parts. One was a sterring center link that was welded in the middle and not one piece. Never a weld in the middle and it was a piss poor weld with the link no aligned. The other was a rebuilt brake caliper that did not have threads inside the hole for the brake or screw into. I too waited too long to return them......my fault for not inspecting parts when received. Still use RockAuto.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they're put to use, the company can legally gain reasonable doubt due to the fact that so many other components could be suspected, even if the purchased part is also in question.

Last edited by mydanielcreg_3; 12-25-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do NOT BUY MOOG CONTROL ARM FROM ROCK AUTO

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Thanks for the share.

Yeah online buys are pretty much as is. One hell of a time to try and win a defective part dispute after the fact. Usually meant to protect the seller and buyer against items found defective right out of the box. Once they're put to use, the company can legally gain reasonable doubt due to the fact that so many other components could be suspected, even if the purchased part is also in question.

When my confidence isnt high in a particular brand, I sometimes try to buy in person, since return policies tend to be more customer-friendly.

My thoughts only. Sure there can be a range of views on this as there are brands.
I purchased a MOOG Lower Control arm from RockAuto and O don't know What they sold. As soon as my Mechanic put the part on I felt the instant play. The clunking the rattling The Carling and side to side when I make a turn the tires turn all the way, the car drives sloppy and loose. It cost me almost $300 to repair my control arm and because RockAuto sold me a bad part that's clearly not a MOOG I have to replace the part and I'm down over $250 because of RockAuto. I feel like contacting the Better Business bureau. Why would you sell somebody to defective parts knowing they're relying on your company to keep them safe on the road. I will never buy anything from RockAuto again ever. They've definitely lost a customer and I'll be giving bad reviews on them everywhere I go
Old 11-09-2023, 06:25 AM

MOOGs quality has been going downhill for years.

Quick Reply: do not order anything from rock auto!!!