86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4runner Build

Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1987 4runner Build

Hey all , been awhile since ive been on here as i rolled my 85 pickup a couple years ago and parted it out.

It really wasnt terrible and i probably couldve caged it and wheeled it but i was pissed because it was such a nice truck before this lol

Well i finally picked up something ive always wanted, a 1st gen 4runner!

Its ugly, and rough but a decent start to a fun project and wheeler.
I bought it with the engine removed and torn apart. It looks as though everything has been through a machine shop though. although it looks as if the head has been slid on some sort of rough surface, so i am going to take everything to the local machine shop to be rechecked and remachined (if need be) and also get the cylinders measured so i can order the correct pistons. Also need to order a few missing parts. timing cover, new oil pump, as well as a rv cam and a header.

The dash was pretty well torn apart, the guy i bought it from said someone broke into it and stole the stereo etc. i managed to get most of it back together but the guage cluster is missing the clear plastic cover (its an sr5 too) ugh, and they took the factory inclinometer (wasnt too happy when i saw that), and the turn signal/wiper switch assembly is broken beyond repair.
I had all these parts too! Kicking myself in the ass for parting out my 85 ...

I did manage to buy back the chassis that i sold!

So as you might guess, i will be SAS'ing the 4runner!
im also going to do RUFs using the leaf pack currently in the 4runner as well as the old OME rear leaf pack that was on my 85.
Going to run 63s in the rear. 35s with 4:88's, high steer, and all that fun stuff.
i am excited to finally being working on another 80s toyota, and me and the ole lady are pretty excited to be able to get back out wheelin again!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Subscribed!
The following users liked this post:
samx227 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 825 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Subscribed!
me too!
samx227 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM

Its going to be slow and steady but i promise to keep you all updated with progress!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM

got the motor together and dropped it in, chasing a couple small coolant leaks from the front cover, hopefully i dont have to pull it back off.. the power steering system is clogged somewhere so have to figure out how to "flush it" out. fired it up sounds healthy though! and then the starter locked up.. oh the joy of working on old vehicles! so hopefully i will be driving it within the next couple weeks. had a buddy in need of some stock wheels and tires so i sold those to him and ended up slapping some 33s i had on it for now, looks funky but hopefully doing the sas soon and it wont look so funky haha

hopefully the height it will sit at after the sas

Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM

This thing is fighting me every step of the way lol. so i dropped in a junkyard 22re, before i dropped it in i had the head checked and it got a resurface, and a valve job. i used a fel-pro head gasket (going against my rule of always using OEM). the cylinder walls looked great, still had crosshatching. everything checked out well. i am now at the point where i just cant get it to run right. it will not idle, has a mean misfire on at least 2 cylinders. i have new plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, new fuel filter, good fuel in the tank. i have checked, and double checked, and triple checked ignition timing as well as timing chain and everything is spot on. chekced to make sure injectors are firing correctly and getting power with a power probe and they are firing correctly.
i have however"deleted" the EGR by capping off all vacuum ports related to egr. i dont have power steering in the truck right now so i capped off the two ports on the plenum. no ac, capped those off at the plenum as well. TPS checks out, AFM checks out. Is there anything im missing?? Also missing one of the VSV's for i beleive the air conditioning so i dont think that has anything to do with it.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:37 PM

pretty sure i have it pinpointed to #1 and #4 fuel injectors either clogged or just not working at all. gonna do the ol swap trick and see if anything changes.

I also picked up a new 4runner that is much and cleaner and more complete interior wise than this one. the guy also has already chopped the ifs out of the truck as well as installed chevy 63s in the rear with the RuffStuff kit. Pretty clean and also my fav color of older toyotas. so as for the red one it will be getting some blocks in the rear and a good ol crank of the torsion bars and ill just wheel that until i get the gray 4runner on its own weight.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

not much to update yet, got the sas kit last week as well as picked up a steering kit from an old friend. its different but i like that the tie rod will be behind and protected.

Hoping to have the grey 4runner sitting on its own weight and steering this weekend! then itll be extended brake lines, shocks/shock hoops, and getting a one piece driveline made and i hould be able to drive it!!!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
What frame is that? Is that a 40 series? Will those parts work on a minitruck axle?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM

this is just a picture off the internet of a kit similar to what my friend gave me. he said it came off of a 85 pickup so im sure hoping it will fit! its a kit from 4x4 Labs
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM

So after doing some online poking around i am beginning to think that steering setup will not work for what im doing, if it is the correct kit for a mini truck, i dont think i will have enough lift for the tie rod to clear my oil pan... i guess ill just have to see when i try and put the truck together!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM

Got the rear axle in today cant wait to get the front axle in and get her siting on her own weight!!!
Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 PM

got the spring hanger tacked in, rear shackle tubes are in and we hung the axle. i used rear OME lift springs and they are definitely too much lift for the front so we are going to play around with the leafs and see if i cant get it to sit right. if not, i might have to hunt down a set of stock rear toyota leaf springs. also had wrong ubolts, so ordered a set of marlin front u bolt flip kit. probably wont get to work on this thing for a couple weeks but im excited to at least make a lil progress this weekend.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:11 AM

so there she is sitting on her own weight. got the tie rod in. im afraid im going to have some clearance issues when it flexes out. if i do i will just have to go with a normal high steer set up.
got the engine trans and tcase installed. waiting on getting m injectors back from being serviced, and a missing high pressure fuel line. then i can install the gas tank and rear driveline and fire it up.
still have to weld in the steering box relocation kit and get the rest of the steering setup
Old 07-31-2019, 09:56 PM

Sorry for the slow progress to my few subscribers lol, been a busy summer of camping, sad i havent been able to have the 4runner out but my good old gmc works as a decent camping rig for now

couple weekends ago i flexed it out to measure for shocks and such. the steering definitely limits the flex a bit but still not too shabby.

finally have everything to get this thing running and steering. it can be a chore to gather up parts for an old 4runner around here in northern nevada haha. Me and a friend are going to bust our asses this weekend to get this thing driving. I cant wait to drive it!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 PM

well i drove it around the lot at work today. i am currently waiting on my bilstein 5125's to show up so i can finish burning in the shock hoops up front. and also still need to weld in the rear shock tabs. and need to fix a plenum gasket leak and finish the exhaust!
5 Fists (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Exciting!
Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Great update, you're getting close!
Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 PM

finally driving! still need to fabricate a front driveline but i took it out and flexed it a little bit. definitely need to install some bump stops. steering hits and the front shocks bottom out. pretty satisfied with the out come though! ill pick up my headlight buckets and bezels tomorrow and install my headlights

5 Fists (09-01-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 4runner Build