Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LED Headlight install

Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
LED Headlight install

So I purchased Some CREE LED headlights and an H4 conversion harness off of amazon and I installed everything last night. Overall I am pretty satisfied with both the quality of the lights in terms of beam and quality and also the H4 Harness. The pictures don't really do the light upgrade justice, it is way more noticeable on an open road the only thing I'd like to be different is the lens' to be glass . The cutoff is great as these are DOT approved lights. I'd say Low beam I can see clearly to 60 yards and High beams on a flat road is 100+ with very good side coverage also for spotting the deers and what nots. Only thing they don't show in the Video is that I had to loosed the upper radiator support mounts to get the Harness tucked up underneath. I think I took my first low beam halogen picture at 826pm and I was sitting on my couch at 940pm so its very straight forward.

Video I followed: 1st gen 4runner LED headlights

-Amazon item 4333003571- 5''x7'' 6''x7'' High Low Beam Led Headlights for Jeep Wrangler YJ Cherokee XJ H6054 H5054 H6054LL 69822 6052 6053 with Angel Eyes DRL (Black 105w Osram Chips)
Headlight Link Headlight Link

Amazon Item- KAJE-0003- 1Set 2 Headlight Harness H4 Headlight Relay Harness H6054 H4 Relay Harness Toyota Pickup Headlights H4 Wiring Harness Headlight Relay Kit For Toyota 95-97 Tacoma 88-95 Pickup Fix Dual Ground Problem
H4 Conversion Harness link H4 Conversion Harness link

HALOGEN POWER DRAW

LED POWER DRAW

LOW BEAM CAPARISON HALOGEN LED

HIGH BEAM COMPARISON

Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
So that link to the jeep lights is also for the toyota? Those lights will work in a 91 toyota?
I am just about to do this on my 91! Thanks for this writeup!

Last edited by toyospearo; 12-18-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
So that link to the jeep lights is also for the toyota? Those lights will work in a 91 toyota?
I am just about to do this on my 91! Thanks for this writeup!
I believe so yes, if you replacement sylvania is H6054 then yes that link is for your headlights.

*There are cheaper and more exspensive lights out there I used these becuase that is what he used in the video and I liked the beam pattern and cutoff. If you want to roll the dice on a different light then by all means post pictures up on this thread so we can figure out the good and the bad.

Last edited by roughridn_sob; 12-18-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: update addtion
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM

I'll pull one and give it a looksee. Thanks again for this writeup!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM

I'll pull one and give it a looksee. Thanks again for this writeup!
No problem easy way is to go to oreillys or autozone website and plug in you info and they will tell you.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
For the love of God!!!

@#$%'ing please quit putting headlamps that don't include a fresnel lense in to vehicles meant for on road usage.

Sincerely, every other driver in the road.

It doesn't matter how good the cut off pattern looks from your cabin, they are still bright enough to trash on coming drivers "night vision". If you can see my headlamp I can see yours, if it's brighter than my interior dash lamps it triggers my cones to activate..

If you see a halo of light coming over the hill/horizon, I can see yours and am not going to wait until I see an actual vehicle to switch to low beams.

And while I am ranting, you shouldn't have your fog lights on unless you are driving in pea soup thick fog (it's the same as having on your high beams, they are bright as @#$% and pointed level with the road surface).. If you have a modern vehicle with a rotary lamp switch it push/pulls to toggle fog lamps.

PS: Dot certified lighting is a self regulated approval, they aren't tested by any governing body. That means they "meet the standard" as interpreted by the manufacturer. They usually don't meet the standard other than the road hazard portions.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 12-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
@#$%'img please quit putting headlamps that don't include a fesnel lense I to vehicles meant for.on road usage.

Sincerely, every other driver in the road.

It doesn't matter how good the cut off pattern looks from your cabin, they are still bright enough to trash on coming drivers "night vision". If I can see my headlamp I can see yours, if it's brighter than my interior dash lamps it triggers my cones to activate..

If you see a halo of light coming over the hill/horizon, I can see yours and am not going to wait until I see an actual vehicle to switch to low beams.

And while I am ranting, you shouldn't have your fog lights on unless you are driving in pea soup thick fog (it's the same as having on your high beams, they are bright as @#$% and pointed level with the road surface).. If you have a modern vehicle with a rotary lamp switch it push/pulls to toggle fog lamps.

PS: Dot certified lighting is a self regulated approval, they aren't tested by any governing body. That means they "meet the standard" as interpreted by the manufacturer. They usually don't meet the standard other than the road hazard portions.
Sorry you wasted your time on that rant. As I also despise the halfass HID retrofitters and those that just throw LED bulbs in reflector housings. If you actually look at the lights each LED in the housing has a Fresnal lense which is why I chose them. As far as the DOT approval at least they made the effort which can’t be said for all companies. Those lights are very good I passed a bunch of drivers and didn’t 1 get “your an asshole” flash and my buddy who i followed into work said they weren’t bad at all.

Not trying to get into a war everyone is entitled to their opinions and people will make their own decisions just wanted to address the things you said about “non fresnal lenses”

Last edited by roughridn_sob; 12-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm with Co_94_CU on this, but I'm not picking on the OP in particular here. The OEM manufacturers are guilty as well. The problem with sharp cutoff low beam headlights is that they work great if the following two assumptions are true. 1) all roads are flat. and 2) all vehicles are the same height. Since, of course, neither of these assumptions are true, any sharp-cutoff light is going to fairly frequently put full intensity into an oncoming driver's eyes. This is equally as true of late model OEM lights as it is of aftermarket lights. The DOT has been totally asleep at the switch on regulating these things.

On your low-beam LED picture in the first post, notice how brightly those tables on the left, and the area past the lamp post, are lit compared to the halogens. That's the light that's going to hit the oncoming driver right in the eyes if you meet coming over a hill, or if he's in a low-slung sports car.

Halogen or sealed beams have a smooth transition from the intense center to the outside of the beam and are generally much more diffuse, making them much less objectionable to oncoming drivers. Granted, they don't light the way as well, but at least oncoming drivers can see.

Do anything you want with your high beams, but skip the sharp cutoff lows, please.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
I'm with Co_94_CU on this, but I'm not picking on the OP in particular here. The OEM manufacturers are guilty as well. The problem with sharp cutoff low beam headlights is that they work great if the following two assumptions are true. 1) all roads are flat. and 2) all vehicles are the same height. Since, of course, neither of these assumptions are true, any sharp-cutoff light is going to fairly frequently put full intensity into an oncoming driver's eyes. This is equally as true of late model OEM lights as it is of aftermarket lights. The DOT has been totally asleep at the switch on regulating these things.

On your low-beam LED picture in the first post, notice how brightly those tables on the left, and the area past the lamp post, are lit compared to the halogens. That's the light that's going to hit the oncoming driver right in the eyes if you meet coming over a hill, or if he's in a low-slung sports car.

Halogen or sealed beams have a smooth transition from the intense center to the outside of the beam and are generally much more diffuse, making them much less objectionable to oncoming drivers. Granted, they don't light the way as well, but at least oncoming drivers can see.

Do anything you want with your high beams, but skip the sharp cutoff lows, please.

We can talk about all the variables with vehicles height and roads all day but the fact of the matter is that a properly adjusted head light, that being set at 32-36" at 25' with very little hot spot/overlap, with a fresnal lense will rarely impact other drivers and that goes for anything whether it be LED, HID, Halogen.
The area to the left and right are lit up more because the headlight itself has better light coverage and a wider beam it has no impact on what the oncoming driver sees because the cutoff is the same through the whole headlight. I spent about 40 min getting them adjusted right. I think a lot of peoples anger and concerns regarding headlights comes from those that are not adjusted properly. that being said as a note: Anytime you mess with your suspension or anything that might require you to remove your headlight you should ALWAYS check and adjust them. Its just like getting an alignment when you change tires or put new suspension components in.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
To each his own. I like a sharp cutoff. Although my 4Runner is stock height so it rarely hits above the doors of other cars. I have LED projectors and although there is much wasted foreground light they still project as far as HID. This was just one LED projector and not actual mounted height. It's also not this intense and the cutoff softens further out.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
I am being blinded so much now at night it pisses me off. New Ford trucks are blinding too along with others, so it's just not aftermarket stuff. I see no end to this blinding madness.

Even if they are properly adjusted, you come up a slight rise in the road your lights are shining up directly into oncoming drivers eyes. I drive a 34 round trip every night most all of it on two lanes, and was being blinded as described above, and almost ran over a person walking along the side of the road. Sure they were walking on the wrong side of the road, but I am still responsible for not running over them.

Last edited by snippits; 12-19-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by snippits
I am being blinded so much now at night it pisses me off. New Ford trucks are blinding too along with others, so it's just not aftermarket stuff. I see no end to this blinding madness.

Even if they are properly adjusted, you come up a slight rise in the road your lights are shining up directly into oncoming drivers eyes. I drive a 34 round trip every night most all of it on two lanes, and was being blinded as described above, and almost ran over a person walking along the side of the road. Sure they were walking on the wrong side of the road, but I am still responsible for not running over them.
This^^^^. The DOT needs to wake up and deal with this. Otherwise it's only going to get worse.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 AM

I totally agree! I can't stand those super bright wide beam LED's I thought DOT approved meant they were somewhat safe. I'll have to do some more looking for a good LED aftermarket light. There have been a few times I have had to almost pull off the road due to those bright lights.
Thanks for bringing that up!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 AM

I totally agree! I can't stand those super bright wide beam LED's I thought DOT approved meant they were somewhat safe. I'll have to do some more looking for a good LED aftermarket light. There have been a few times I have had to almost pull off the road due to those bright lights.
Thanks for bringing that up!
For what it's worth I am supper happy with these lights. Been running them for 2 mornings and 1 night passing multiple cars and not one has given me "THE FLASH" so I assume they aren't blinding anyone, or its so bad they cant even see their flasher lever.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
They look good OP enjoy them, my trucklight led’s have been in for 5 years + and not once have I been flashed.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by roughridn_sob
...not one has given me "THE FLASH" so I assume they aren't blinding anyone, or its so bad they cant even see their flasher lever.
LOL!
That's a good field test, then. Hard to tell with the many lights flooding the market and the skies.
So far, happy with my Truck-lites for 3 years. They have hot spots though, but not too bad. Only thing better would be properly lensed LED's like on our 2016 Corolla. Sharp cut-off, wide coverage.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Testing out some 3" sealed LED projectors. Coverage isn't the widest but better than what's available.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by se7enine
Testing out some 3" sealed LED projectors. Coverage isn't the widest but better than what's available.

NICE!
Write-up please?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
I will wager that if you buy some Osram H4 headlights with standard, brand name H4 (Osram nightbreaker, whatever) on a harness with a relay - you will see more of everything that with those not optimally engineered LEDs.
Sorry OP, cannot support. And it looks stupid to me as well. A 25+yo truck with leds. The design looks off, as does the light color. YMMV.

Sometimes I am glad they have the TÜV here, checking every car every 2 years. "You installed random chinese LED headlights?" "Yes" "Remove them or park your car on your property, dear."
Old 12-20-2018, 03:10 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
They look great OP,......this thread went full get of my lawn, sweet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Headlight install