Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Alternator or water pump squeak after shutting down.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine squeak when shutting down.

Hello all,
I've searched for things like squeaking sounds from alternator and water pump but have only found threads talking about belt slipping and squealing which I'm pretty sure isn't my problem. Also, this is on an '85 22RE but this forum gets more traffic and the 84-85 forum talks mostly about 22R (carbureted engines). Mods, please feel free to move if you see fit.

Anyways, I've got a squeaking sound only when I shut the engine down when its warm. It lasts about a second and sounds like "eeeerrrrr" like somethings is coming to a screeching halt. It's coming from either the water pump, alternator or fan clutch because I pulled the belts (one at a time) and there was no squeak without the alternator/fan belt. The water pump and fan clutch are both new Aisin brand that I put on less that 1,000 miles ago. When I installed the new water pump (the old one was leaking from the weep hole) the bearing felt nice and tight with no play but there was a squeaking from what sounded like a bearing. I chocked this up to a new and tight bearing and installed it anyways (plus I couldn't return it to Amazon since the return window had lapsed). The shut-down squeak was not there until I got about 600 miles on the new pump and fan clutch. It only does it when its warm. Here are the ideas I've come up with for the cause of my warm squeak, please let me know what you think and what the next steps should be.
1. Squeaking water pump; although the pump feels great when spinning by hand and there is no longer a squeak like before the pump was worn in. The water pump seems to be working as advertised once the bearing wore in a bit.
2. Squeaking alternator bearing; the alternator pulley is much harder to spin than the water pump which leads me to think it might be causing my squeak. Also my PS pump has been slooooowwwlly leaking onto the alternator for at least the last 2 years, which might be part of the problem (I finally ordered a rebuild kit)
3. Squeaking fan clutch mechanism; although this seems the least likely possibility.

What would Yotatech do?

Last edited by Winky29; 12-09-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: More accurate title
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Yea. A mystery to me as well. Mine does something like this. I start it, wait some (30 - 120) seconds, then shut it off. If I start it up again, I have this lovely squeak that sounds like belts - but isn't.
When I shut the engine off, I get a tiny "back and forth" squeak way at the end. In theory, that means something driven by a belt.

I am thinking: air pocket water pump, idler bearing or other.
Will change steering pump fluid later today.

You: take off all belts and start it up!

Last edited by ev13wt; 12-10-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it’s a mystery to me too. I forgot to say that I did take off all belts and start it. No noise when I shut it off. Then I put the fan belt on, fired it up, shut if off and the noise reappeared. I also drove around for a day without the power steering belt installed and still had the squeak. So it’s definitely something on the alternator/fan belt and only happens when warm.

I thought that the belt might be too tight so I tried loosening it but it slipped so bad I couldn’t dive. I have the belt tightened so that I can just turn it 90 degrees on the vertical section between the crankshaft pulley and fan pulley. Any looser and it’ll slip. At this point I guess I could just wait and see if something breaks to figure out the problem but I’d rather not let it get to that point.

Thanks,
Winky
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Great feedback, thanks. I guess I could take the fan and clutch off and see what happens.

Well. Next it does it I'll go move the fan with my hand to see if it squeaks. It's currently being nice.

Thing is, my old engine did it as well. The new one is a oem long block. Includes water pump. Also includes fan clutch assembly. I will make really sure that the water pump isn't dripping water on belts. Not seeing any rust though.

ps, was lazy, didn't change steering fluid (atf)

Last edited by ev13wt; 12-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did this same thing and it was my power steering pump failing. The previous owner let it run out of ATF due to the hydraulic hose leaking. I changed the pump and pulley bearing and it hasn't done it since.