Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BVSV or TVV vacuum valve in water block 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BVSV or TVV vacuum valve in water block 3vze

In the process of replacing my starter contacts and check on a few other things, I noticed a disconnected vacuum hose coming from the charcoal canister on the passenger side of the engine bay, this hose leads to the BVSV in the back of the engine which i came to find out both brittle nipples had broken off. I managed to find a fully intact BVSV at the local pic n pull.
This last summer my 4runner blew the coolant bypass hose that is right next to said BVSV. I ended up fixing the coolant hose without removing anything from the engine, so knowing the tight squeeze I am trying to get the BVSV out without removing the intake manifold. as for right now i have a socket on the broken BVSV and i started to get it out, but my question is if i pull the BVSV how much coolant will i be losing out of these heater hoses, is it best to drain the block first? or is it only small amounts the a rag below will catch it.
And is their a torque spec for the valve or rather just tightening it until the nipples are pointing at the charcoal canister
Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't KNOW how much coolant you might lose. But the amount of work to drain a gallon of coolant (to lower the level a few inches) is so small, I'd do it just to avoid the mess.

Remember that you cannot INSTALL your replacement TVV/BVSV with a socket (unless you cut up a deep socket to fit over the nipples). So I think you are only creating work for yourself by trying to skip the remove-the-plenum step.

I'm impressed that you found an unsullied part at a salvage yard. But that part is just as old as the one that broke for you (and for so many of us). The new part is only $52 https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...092505047.html (or less https://www.ebay.com/p/TOYOTA-OEM-Va...5047/663537148 ) . You might consider how much it is worth to you to avoid doing this job again in a few months.

Last edited by scope103; 12-07-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:56 PM

so would it be more effective to drain some coolant from the block or the radiator?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:38 PM

I'm sure the radiator would be fine. You'll drain that anyway when you remove the plenum. You need to get the coolant level below the lines to bottom of the throttle body (you remove the lines to lift the plenum/throttle body). A gallon is plenty.

There are two block drains on either side, but they are REALLY hard to get to.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM

well i got it in with only having to drain half gallon of coolant from my radiator and half from my block (i luckily have a drain piece right by the thermostat housing, and i had to undo the small yellow switch and the square grey switch to the drivers side of the bvsv. a little red loctite and 18 ft pounds to torque. now my only question , since both nipples were broken off, is where the 2 vacuum lines go to, i have seen a few diagrams that show opposite, but does the lower nipple do a 180 and catch that metal pipe and the top nipple go to the charcoal canister? ,this pic is before i got bvsv in but the nipples are facing the charcoal canister like before
Old 12-07-2018, 08:44 PM

The TVV is just a switch, so you can use either nipple. In general, there is a piece of vacuum hose from a nipple to the canister, and the other nipple has a short line to a metal tube (probably the one in your photo). The metal tube goes "closer" to the throttle body, and another vacuum line goes from that end of the metal tube up to a vac port on the throttle body.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM

Just thought I would share how I was able to do it with out removing the manifold, I had the zip tie my heater hoses out of the way and undo a few plugs. But I had a 3/4 socket that was cracked so It made a good socket to grind a slot into. I had to tape my swivel so it wasn’t so floppy. And in order to get the valve threaded without crossthreading, I used a leftover piece of pcv hose with a slot cut into it to fit around the nipples. Which is also a good way to install spark plugs btw. The hardest part was trying not to tip my stool over as I was leaned over the engine.
I’ve put a few hundred miles on it and it has made a difference in fuel consumption and when I would do a hot start I would have a low idle or missfire and my check engine light has not come on since. Hope this helps someone. It’s never a bad idea to just reach back and make sure you feel both nipple intact. Also recommend that if you have to do this, to replace your bypass coolant hose while you are back there

The following 2 users liked this post by double Dz:
old87yota (03-13-2019), Ralphthe4runner (04-22-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by double Dz
I’ve put a few hundred miles on it and it has made a difference in fuel consumption and when I would do a hot start I would have a low idle or missfire and my check engine light has not come on since. Hope this helps someone.
Thank you for this. On a hot start my RPMs often drop as your did. I found both nipples on my tvv to be broken. Ok replace it next week and hope it clears up my hot start rpm drop issues.