Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

strange whistle/ 'air inflating tire' sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
strange whistle/ 'air inflating tire' sound

94 22re 150k 2wd

Going down the line on my toyota pickup. I think I have diagnosed a rod knock sound on cylinder one but am still trying to figure out a whistle/ 'air inflating tire' sound.

This only happens at 70 mph or above. If I let off of the gas it stops. So - only happening above 70 mph, stops when I let off the gas. Any ideas on where to look?

This leads me to think drivetrain? I really don't have much of a clue though, anybody experienced this before?

Seems like it's coming from the engine bay area. No idea Don't what in the engine bay would only make a sound at 70 and up and stop as soon as I either a) dip below 70 or b) let off the gas...

Last edited by Mason Edmison; 11-18-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Gonna need to hear it.

MAkes no sense. I am thinking wind noises - but when you let off the gas it stops. Weird. Only thing that moves when you let off the gas is the Throttle intake and the mechanics on the TB.

Any loose wires on the tb? Check to see if the intake tube, at the rubber elbow that attaches to the TB, is cracked underneath.(letting in unmetered air. Source: 22reperformance
That might cause that sound?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt
Gonna need to hear it.

MAkes no sense. I am thinking wind noises - but when you let off the gas it stops. Weird. Only thing that moves when you let off the gas is the Throttle intake and the mechanics on the TB.

Any loose wires on the tb? Check to see if the intake tube, at the rubber elbow that attaches to the TB, is cracked underneath.(letting in unmetered air. Source: 22reperformance
That might cause that sound?
Alright. I'll take a look. I was just hoping it wasn't drivetrain noise or something. I'll try to capture audio if I can. The fact it stopped when I let off the gas threw me too.