86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re just DIED

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re just DIED

Was running down the interstate and all of the sudden she just dies. No big bang, No strange noise, lights didn't die, No indication at all of what happened. Had it towed to the house. It has spark, It is getting fuel, checked the timing, no blown fuses. Here is what is puzzling. Took a plug out used ether, no change. How would there be no difference if I sprayed starting fluid in the cylinder? Any ideas, clues, insights? What am I missing? Ever feel like if it was a snake it would've bit ya?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Broken timing chain?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You have spark, checked timing. Can't be a broken chain could be a jumped chain.

Elaborate on "has fuel", Did you probe the injectors?

What do the compression numbers tell?

Proper voltage at the ECU? (Loaded voltage tests)
The following users liked this post:
rainman88 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Sound like you need to put whatever connector fell off, back on again
rainman88 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I did check the timing It looked right on. even moved the distributor to see if I could get some kind of fire. I say it has fuel only meant the fuel pump was pumping and fuel was getting to the rails. Now this is where I become ignorant to the world of automotive computer ( even this archaic one) and fuel injection. I have fallen behind, I'm an old dude that studied automotive when I was young and cars pretty much had carbs only. So I am assuming you aren't referring to piston compression. And proper voltage at the ecu being that box down by the passenger kick panel? Can you point me in the right direction on checking that? My instinct also leans toward what ev13wt said just cause thats my luck. And scope that was my first reaction but the distributor spins and the timing looked pretty much on. Again thanks for the responses. I bought this truck from the original owner, former marine. I think he washed it so much he wore the paint down.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Spraying starting fluid into a cylinder with the plug out won't tell you much. Obviously that cylinder isn't going to fire until the plug is back in and connected, and then at best it will only fire once and be done. Try spraying starting fluid into the air intake and see what happens. If it fires then likely your injectors aren't operating. Let us know and we'll zero in on that if appropriate.

I would also run a compression check on each cylinder. That's easy on a 22re, and will tell you if valve timing is OK.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Compression

I did indeed mean cylinder compression. If the timing chain jumps the valve cam iming is retarded, which results in lower compression numbers.

Poke around abit and you will find the instructions for probing the injectors with an LED based test lamp to see if the ECU is trying to fire them. You can also listen with a stethoscope for them slamming shut after firing. Also worth nothing just because you have fuel in the rail and injector pulses from the ecu plugged injectors spray no fuel.

As mentioned above you can try starting fluid directly passed the throttle plate, if it has combustion you know it's probably a fuel problem.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:50 PM

Fuel pressure? Fuel filter? (It's in a location that wants to make you punch it.)

EFI is like a carb, except the jets are injectors that spray twice per revolution (all at the same time in these engines). The computer measures how much fuel it needs via the sensors. One meters how much air is going in (AFM) (at the air filter, if the door is not moved, the fuel pump relay won't turn the FP on!), the next one measures the position of the throttle body (TPS) (choke plate position) and the "last" one measures the ratio of oxygen with the, well, (oxygen sensor) and adjust the injector pulse width.

Extra sensors tell the computer that it is cold, so it pulls the choke for you and gives a bit of extra idle up. There are a couple of other sensors, but we can ignore these.

Last edited by ev13wt; 11-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys, RJR your comment about the plug was good, Humor is the best meds. The truck came with another ECU, I replaced it, sprayed ether in the throttle body, Turned the starter, nothin. So I turned the distributor all the way counter clockwise, did the ether thing again and it sounded like it wanted to fire sort of but not on every piston. So my guess would be jumped chain. I will have to get a compression tester to check the valve position. Guess i was wrong about the timing. Light was acting funny today. So any more suggestions or comments? Again thanks

Last edited by rainman88; 11-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello greetings; I started reading this thread, and something similar happened to me that happened to me in Toyota 1984; I suddenly went off and did not turn over; After several revisions, I realized that the distributor rotor gear was broken, which caused only jump spark in one piston. I hope you've solved and if not so, it would not hurt to check the distributor.
ev13wt (11-23-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
when you say you checked timing, can you please elaborate? there are several timing marks that all need to be in alignment for the timing to be good

Last edited by Grey_Matter; 11-23-2018 at 09:31 AM.
rainman88 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 05:03 AM

Initially I checked the timing with a light and i appeared to be on its mark on the crank. I haven't taken any covers off yet, assuming that is what you are clarifying.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM

yes, the only sure way to check timing is by pulling the valve cover and verifying the cam, crank, and distributor are all pointing to where they should be.
with the #1 piston at TDC all of your timing marks should be at 12 oclock with the rotor pointing to cylinder 1
Old 11-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rainman88
Initially I checked the timing with a light and i appeared to be on its mark on the crank. I haven't taken any covers off yet, assuming that is what you are clarifying.
how did you use a light to check timing if the truck doesnt run?????
the light only works if the truck is running
Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey_Matter
yes, the only sure way to check timing is by pulling the valve cover ...
"Valve" timing. As contrasted with "ignition" timing.

Originally Posted by Grey_Matter
how did you use a light to check timing if the truck doesnt run?????
the light only works if the truck is running
The plugs fire while the starter is cranking. It isn't perfect, but enough to address ignition timing as a cause of no-start.
rainman88 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
"Valve" timing. As contrasted with "ignition" timing.

The plugs fire while the starter is cranking. It isn't perfect, but enough to address ignition timing as a cause of no-start.
please tell me you arent serious...
good luck telling if your timing is correct by cranking the starter... especially when the engine isnt cranking fast enough to have a strobe effect to even be able to see the timing marks

...and furthermore, do you honestly think it wont fire when its 180 out and still see the mark? cause it will.
it only fires on the compression stroke, that is unless its a 2 stroke, then in that case his premix mixture might be off

Last edited by Grey_Matter; 11-23-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Nice "grey matter". sarcastic criticism is not very conducive to relaying information in an intelligent manner. But Hey what do I know I'm just a old redneck from the south. These guys are giving me info that may be helpful. If you do have something that this old man can understand and use that would be great.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rainman88
Nice "grey matter". sarcastic criticism is not very conducive to relaying information in an intelligent manner. But Hey what do I know I'm just a old redneck from the south. These guys are giving me info that may be helpful. If you do have something that this old man can understand and use that would be great.
some are giving you information, others are talking out of their butts...

to check the correct timing you need to pull the valve cover and the cap on your distributor and verify number one is at top dead center then check your timing marks period.

you've already been told, if you cant seem to follow simple instruction from a mechanic then take it to a shop and let them fix it for you.
you pick me out of the crowd to make a smartass comment and im one of the few in this thread giving you real information....im done, good luck
Old 11-24-2018, 04:46 PM

There is a little mark in the distributor for 5°
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
My dads 94 pickup with the 22re just did the exact same thing! just died driving down the road. Fuel pump is working and there's gas in the tank. It will fire if you spray starter fluid into the intake. Seems like the injectors are not pulsing. I'm going to check to make sure the injectors have power today and see if they will click. Someone in another thread suggested to remove the distributor and spin it by hand to simulate the engine turning over without all the noise of the starter.

Quick Reply: 22re just DIED