Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r Won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r Won't turn off

Hey guys, I've been having some weird problems lately.
I have a carbed 22r in my 1980 pickup.

A few weeks ago during a week of rain my truck wouldn't turn on, it had no spark. I bought a new coil and ignition module (GM mod) and the truck turns on and runs again but now it has some weird symptoms.
With the truck on and running, I can turn the key to the off position and take the key out but the truck continues to run as though I never did this. I tried turning it on, putting the key in the off position and unplugging the
alternator wire (I have a GM one wire alternator) and the truck continues to run. I assume that means there's feedback from the coil?

I'm terrible when it comes to wiring issues, so I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by Yotaoverland; 11-11-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need a new ignition switch, the one you put the key into.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I would disconnect the ignition switch wiring under the steering column and run continuity checks in the different key positions for positive contact
Old 11-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lons81
I would disconnect the ignition switch wiring under the steering column and run continuity checks in the different key positions for positive contact
I just installed a new ignition switch and the problem still continues. Other than getting a new lock cylinder, I have no other good ideas haha.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotaoverland
Hey guys, I've been having some weird problems lately.
I have a carbed 22r in my 1980 pickup.

A few weeks ago during a week of rain my truck wouldn't turn on, it had no spark. I bought a new coil and ignition module (GM mod) and the truck turns on and runs again but now it has some weird symptoms.
With the truck on and running, I can turn the key to the off position and take the key out but the truck continues to run as though I never did this. I tried turning it on, putting the key in the off position and unplugging the
alternator wire (I have a GM one wire alternator) and the truck continues to run. I assume that means there's feedback from the coil?

I'm terrible when it comes to wiring issues, so I don't know where to go from here.
Show us the wiring diagram you used. Take a photo of the ignition as it is installed and annotate what is what in your particular installation..

PS: is alternator wire a typographic error, the alternator isn't relevant, there is plenty of juice available from the battery, the alternator doesn't out out much current at idle.. If you meant the battery positive cable? this indicates the alternator is functional and outputting. (Maybe a bit more than is necessary..)

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 11-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Show us the wiring diagram you used. ...
This^^^
Also, even if you disconnect the alternator wire, your battery is still connected to the engine / electronics so it would still provide power needed for spark and electrical controls.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
You might go back and make sure the new GM module/coil, has correct wiring according to the mod you used.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lons81
You might go back and make sure the new GM module/coil, has correct wiring according to the mod you used.
Yep, something unusual/bad/unexpected happened when you did this mod. You need to verify that your GM mod was done properly/correctly before doing anything else. As a last resort, undo the mod completely and replace parts with Toyota stuff.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I can't really help, but here is a ghetto fix. You have a meter? Engine running, shut off ignition. Truck still running? Check the power wire to coil. Should show 12V. Kill the engine. Unhook battery. Cut the wire, run wire to dash, & install toggle switch. Then you can turn off & on. Then find real problem at leisure. Now you will really need the meter. Yes, I am only part serious.
I have a sorta similar problem. Turn ignition switch to on & park lights come on. If the headlights are on while running, can't kill ignition. Turn lights off & it dies. Probably a ground problem, but not bothering me. I plan on swapping out the harness during engine swap.
Good luck.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, but my wiring harness is not stock. A friend of mine ripped every wire out of the truck when I got it and completely re-wired it so there's no real diagram I could use.
I'm sure it's a short somewhere that I have to track down and fix.