General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Land Cruiser LC200 (American) whirring noise behind NAV

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2013 Land Cruiser LC200 (American) whirring noise behind NAV

All- last winter encountered this issue on a number of occasions, typically when 27 degrees Farenheit or colder, and car having been idle/outside for 8+ hours. As soon as the Land Cruiser is started, this horrible whirring motor noise kicks in and cycles for ~3-5 minutes. Nothing I touched or modified in the car appeared to have any impact. I've checked the recirculating door in the glove compartment (it works), CDs go in and note with no impact, I've even shut the car off and restarted and the sound continues with the vehicle stopped. Occasionally, and possibly coincidentally, it would cease when I opened the door, but I don't believe that happened in every instance. The vehicle is apparently attempting to do something on it's own, possibly related to the cold weather (this did not occur at all in weather above freezing) until the other day, when temperatures dropped from about 80 to 42 the following day. The sound appears to be emanating from behind the NAV/CD area, the video link below will provide what I'm hearing. I haven't torn apart a car interior since high school when I used to install stereos in vehicles with much simpler outlays, but if someone is able to provide any direction that would be great. I'd be remiss if I didn't note I left it with Toyota for a week, and of course they claim the noise never occurred when they started it up. The car is garaged every night and I've never encountered this when starting in the morning, only after it's been idle while at work for hours. Any help appreciated!

Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

Welcome!

Unfortunately, the video is not working.

Is the CD / NAV unit a multi disc changer?

Maybe one of the HVAC door motors is not working properly?

Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi- apologies the link is now working. I neglected to "publish" it on YouTube. The CD is single disc, and I've tested functionality of the disc load/eject while this noise was occurring. I've turned the HVAC on/off, doesn't seem to have any impact on this. Someone suggested testing The only the recirculating door above the air filter in the glove box. apparently people break these often because techs don't see LCs often, and the HVAC has to be in recirculating to access. if it's not, the door is down, and often people inadvertently break them trying to get to the filter. Mine works silently, so I was able to rule that out.

Since I dont know exactly what causes it, of course I cannot replicate it for the dealer, so of course they wont look at it...

Last edited by Esthlos13; 10-15-2018 at 07:03 AM.