84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

first post and maybe some random Noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking first post and maybe some random Noob questions.

Rather than continue to haul brush and stuff in my Honda Fit, I bought my first pickup ever last year, an 85 Toyota with a flatbed. I love the pickup and am now thinking about toughening it up some so I can explore sketchy mountain roads and the local wilderness as well as deal with snow days here in the shenandoah valley.
I'd like to get an OME 2" lift and maybe some bigger tires, but before I do this, what am I getting myself into? Is this a job someone who is good at following directions can do or will a shop need to do some of it (ring and pinion)?
Also, If I choose to just stick with 31's on a 2inch lift, is the pickup going to look stupid? Tell me what I need to know before I go spending money and develop migraines from bad choices.

Thanks,
Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Ok these trucks in stock form are great. Wheel it until the rig is the weak link then build it where its coming up short.
The true saying for wheeling goes something like this

Armor 1st
Gears and Lockers 2nd
Recovery gear and driving experience 3rd

Then and only then lift it. You can fit 33's on a stock 85 if there is no real sagging. You rig will look fine with a 2" and 31's. But 33's will help fill the bigger gap.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A couple things would help us help you.
1. Your specific vehicle info in your signature area - see mine.
2. "is the pickup going to look stupid?" No idea what it looks like now - pictures are worth 1k words.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd agree with fishguy other than the recovery gear. It doesn't matter how simple or built your truck is you should always have some good straps and clevises with you at all times. A shovel is good to have too. And a highlift jack. Get you a jack with an eye on the end and a good chain. Using that you can winch yourself by hand. Its not the best or safest method of recovery but its sometimes the only option. You don't gotta worry abou t a winch and such though. Its a luxury but not a necessity for the casual wheeler.

As for your truck. I'd leave it stock until you find what it needs the most. You'd be surprised by what these trucks can do in stock form.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all depends just how you define " Looks Stupid"

That can be so different between such a large group of people .

Myself I would make sure the basics are all renewed first Brakes ,Suspension , Fluids and Engine running the best it can

I am quite Happy with my 235/75 15 tires they work for me.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want some lift, get a 1” body lift. Bit of extra clearance with no negative side effects. I’m running 33s with just a 1” body lift and very minimal fender trimming. I also have a flatbed. I’m personally more a fan of LCOG builds. Here’s a pic.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 AM

Here’s my pickup/ it has this farm truck quality I like about it with that bed. I plan on just ordering all of what I need and then go from there with the work and labor.
There is not a ton of space between rear tire and the bed which is currently concerning. Drives fine, but had a power steering pump issue i’m Fixing today. i ordered a service kit from Mc to address the front right axle’s increased leakage. From what I can gather about this pickup i’ve Had for a year now is that 2 po’s ago somone took a big hit on front right bending wheel (and axle: see leak) on a second set of rims the truck came with. The last po put a lot of work into it since he bought it and i’m Sure he got it a steep discount. Also small Toyota’s are the truck to have out here. You’ll see some new Jeep’s here and there but small older model Toyota’s are where it’s at. So I guess some of my motivation to toughen its looks up since it’s an 85, increase capabilities when going into the wilderness, while also keeping its farm truck look. I’m in love with solid white Steelies. But that’s another issue. What wheels will fit. Seems none will without backspacing issues I keep reading about.

T h a n k s
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 AM

Old 10-27-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
You asked. those rims look stupid To me, of course

Back on topic. Locker, E or air, will get you way further than a lift.

Get some ome all around, new shocks. That should bring it back up. Heavy duty for the back. Ride quality will improve too.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 AM

I'd be getting new rims, but I love the rims currently on it as they remind of the Toyota's I'd see running around my neighborhood back in the 80's. I was in love with these trucks as a kid. Too bad you don't like the wheels also, but you have your reasons. I ordered an OME 2" kit with shocks from rocky road. Prolly gonna order another leaf for the rear, and then lockers within a week or two. Thinking grizzly auto locker up front and a tru trac in rear. I understand the lockers will get me farther, but there's some deep waterholes on some of these mountain trails/roads where all the rain water collects. The lift will help keep my hood above the water a little better than it does currently. plus it snows here so I was thinking the tru trac in rear would be better for snow than a locker. I considered the zip locker up front, but not sure I want the complexity of selectable lockers. Thanks for responding.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bigger and better tires will also help
Old 10-31-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyNewts
I'd like to get an OME 2" lift and maybe some bigger tires, but before I do this, what am I getting myself into?
OME is a very good lift system. I have a friend that has that size lift and he loves it. His truck is a daily driver on 33's that he's keeping simple and clean. I think it looks really slick. His truck is rust free and all original except for the lift and tires. So I say that lift would be just fine. What I do remember him saying is that it's hard to find a complete lift kit for OME. He had to put all the parts together himself to get the order correct for everything he needed. I don't have that lift so I can't say that is correct or not. But it is just something to think about.

Is this a job someone who is good at following directions can do or will a shop need to do some of it (ring and pinion)?
A lift is very easy especially in solid axle trucks. Is this something you can do? It all depends. If you are mechanically inclined at all I would say yes. If you have the right tools I would say yes as well. When I lifted my stock 85 Toyota pickup when it was 25 years old I had issues taking the rear springs off. What happens is that the bushing inside can rust. I actually had to cut the head off the bolt and use a torch to get it out.

Also, If I choose to just stick with 31's on a 2inch lift, is the pickup going to look stupid? Tell me what I need to know before I go spending money and develop migraines from bad choices.
Don't worry if others will think it looks stupid. If you like it then roll with it.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Old 11-01-2018, 09:01 PM

I have an 84 4x4 DLX longbed and I put the OME 2" lift on mine. I wanted the stock springs but they were hundreds more so I cheaped out and went w the lift. Took 6 months to get the springs and shocks in and there was quite a bit of trouble locating the parts such as shackles that weren't included. I absolutely love it but would highly recommend getting a source for every single part you'll need before placing any orders. Plan on replacing parts you assume you can reuse. After this many years, some of them may need to be cut off.