Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pop, lurching, and loss of power 86 pickup 22r

Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pop, lurching, and loss of power 86 pickup 22r

Hey guys, on the way to work today the truck started acting poorly. When setting off from a light, it felt like I had much less power, then heard a pop (not sure if it was a backfire or not), then while going the truck would lurch back and forth. Wasn't anything violent but wasn't smooth acceleration like usual. I was only in first a second gear as my commute is about 3 minutes of downtown and campus roads. What could this be? I already have running issues with the truck but never experiences this. Truck has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fan clutch, and radiator under the hood. Some of the radiator hosing is in very bad shape and leaking awfully, but I don't think that has anything to do with what I experienced. Could it be driveline related? Blown motor? I looked everywhere under the hood and under the truck and couldn't see anything out of place, but there is also a hurricane outside... Any help is greatly appreciated as always!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Seek shelter.
Move to higher ground
Fill the tub with fresh water while you can

Lots of things can make it lurch, in no particular order..

4wd engaged?
Leaf spring, shackle, ubolt broken?
​​​​​Drive line, ujoint, transmission, clutch, axel, propeller shaft..

Without specifics of what you've checked we can only guess and will make you double check things.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 AM

Here’s a video. Popping is definitely coming from under the hood. Phone is on the dash recording. Couldn’t go over 30mph. Couldn’t go up the hill to go home. Popping and lurching intensified and I was forced to turn around. Sorry I can’t do much more. 4am and rain ain’t fun. Hopefully I can get a better look at it tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Well one thing I noticed this morning is that TWO of the spark plug boots had come off...running on two cylinders will definitely effect power.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Can't really make out any details of that video, maybe if it was longer or daylight..

Something you can do is try to isolate where the noise is.. Does it happen free revving the engine, does it happen with the clutch pushed in while moving, if you Jack up the rear end and manually rotate a tire.. That sort of thing.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Can't really make out any details of that video, maybe if it was longer or daylight..

Something you can do is try to isolate where the noise is.. Does it happen free revving the engine, does it happen with the clutch pushed in while moving, if you Jack up the rear end and manually rotate a tire.. That sort of thing.
Thanks for this. Hadn’t even thought of these scenarios to isolate it. Once I put the spark plug boots back on the truck was running like it was before. Not sure what would cause them to come off though?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tyvanwie

Thanks for this. Hadn’t even thought of these scenarios to isolate it. Once I put the spark plug boots back on the truck was running like it was before. Not sure what would cause them to come off though?
So it's not making the noise or lurching now?

Well the boot just protects people from grabbing it while it's live mostly and the actual connection from moisture. Once the boot is near fully seated you'll be able to wiggle the upper end of the boot and feel the plug rubbing on the connector, this end bit is what needs to be tight for a good spark, if you leave a gap there or its kind of loose fitting it ribs power from the spark. It could also damage the coil, it has a threshold I don't recall, due to the voltage needed to jump the gap which causes heat in the coil assembly.. I digress =)

If the boot is loose and the connectors aren't tight (little round female to sparkplug male) they could rattle themselves off, the high tension line clips on the valve cover prevent some of this as well as keep them off the exhaust and make it look "neat" and "tidy".
Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Ok - gotcha. I have those line clips and they’re new plugs and boots. I just must’ve not done a very good job putting them on!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 PM

On the EFI versions these clip to the valve cover.

It's running fine again?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 PM

Eh, it’s running like it did before the incident but still not great. I have plenty of power, but also have an overheating issue as well as the truck sometimes dying at lights. Found a big coolant leak in one of the hoses and will be replacing that, but I think head gasket is gone.