Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First Post: A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post: A few questions

I bought a 91 4runner a few weeks ago. I needed a vehicle fast and had to get what I could for what I could. I figured I would get an old 4runner so I could deal with problems and maintain it. It rains a lot where I live so I needed a truck with coverage in the back -- SUV style. When I bought it it looked like it wouldn't need any engine work and there was a bit of rust. Once I started pulling the trim, I found more rust. After completing some cosmetic body work (first timer), the engine started dripping coolant. I figured it was the water pump so I ordered a kit with the timing belt, idler pulley, thermostat, etc., and managed to do the whole job by myself, including fabricating a pulley bar to retorque the crank bolt. Having done the work myself, I appreciate the truck more now. As I become more familiar with it I wanted to post some thoughts and questions here to see if I can get some guidance.

1. I am not big on the rear having less clearance than the front. What's the deal here?
2. The rear bumper has rusted off the frame mount on the one side, which is causing it to sag slightly on the left side. I prefer the look of the aftermarket off road bumpers better anyway, but I haven't seen one with the spare tire gate still installed. Do you have to ditch that to install an aftermarket rear bush bumper?
3. I pulled the plastic out of the wheel wells to do the body work. Should I put it back in there?
4. I like the idea of a rooftop tent but the 2nd gen has no roof rack mounts. What's the process there?
5. Having done the timing/waterpump replacement, I have not strobed it yet and made any adjustments. I read conflicting numbers on what to set the timing at. Any advice?
6. I paid $3000 Canadian for the thing. It seems to me like it would be hard to sell if I put anything into it. I have been looking at 1st gen 4runners that seem like a better investment if I am to start swapping out parts, tires, installing racks, etc., etc. It's hard to know where to draw the line so I can get a good return from what I invest. I don't want to drop another $3,000 into and and struggle to sell it for $4000.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
welcome to YT
I have a 94 that I added the rear swing out tire mount from a 90-91 4Runner
I modified a Trail Gear rear tube bumper. Hope the pics help

Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
welcome to YT
I have a 94 that I added the rear swing out tire mount from a 90-91 4Runner
I modified a Trail Gear rear tube bumper. Hope the pics help
At first pass I was happy to see that Trail Gear has a Canadian website. The rear bumper goes for $542 and the front is $613. About $75 per for shipping, I think. So 1300 + tax is about $1525. Okay, so say I want to drop that on that beast pictured above, one thing I noticed in your project photo is it looks like that tubing slips into larger tube. I don't see how you did that.

As with the list of concerns above, I am tempted to drive this 4runner for a while and look for someone selling something that already has a lot of the mods or who has something that worth modding (ie., will have some resale value like a rust free or manageable 1st gen) and call it a learning experience. I paid $3000, did the body work, fixed the coolant leak.

As I said the back bumper is sagging a bit because the plate it bolts to is rusted through. I noticed that the front bumper also isn't sitting quite right. It has a dent and some rust spots. I mean if I were to switch out the bumpers, does it make it worth $4500?

Last edited by Future Aztec; 08-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Future Aztec
At first pass I was happy to see that Trail Gear has a Canadian website. The rear bumper goes for $542 and the front is $613. About $75 per for shipping, I think. So 1300 + tax is about $1525. Okay, so say I want to drop that on that beast pictured above, one thing I noticed in your project photo is it looks like that tubing slips into larger tube. I don't see how you did that.

As with the list of concerns above, I am tempted to drive this 4runner for a while and look for someone selling something that already has a lot of the mods or who has something that worth modding (ie., will have some resale value like a rust free or manageable 1st gen) and call it a learning experience. I paid $3000, did the body work, fixed the coolant leak.

As I said the back bumper is sagging a bit because the plate it bolts to is rusted through. I noticed that the front bumper also isn't sitting quite right. It has a dent and some rust spots. I mean if I were to switch out the bumpers, does it make it work $4500?
I put a smaller diameter piece of tubing inside the bigger tubing to help keep it in place while welding.

As far as adding $1500 worth of new stuff adding $1500 in value to a vehicle, i would say it would not. I paid $400 for my 4runner after a family member fubar'ed a brake job. I recycled a ton of parts from my old project to keep the cost down. If selling my truck I could probably break even
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Future Aztec
1. I am not big on the rear having less clearance than the front. What's the deal here?

Most of the runner have a sag. In addition to that the cutout for the wheels is also smaller in the back. So even if yours doesnt have a sag, it will look like the front has mkre clearance.

2. The rear bumper has rusted off the frame mount on the one side, which is causing it to sag slightly on the left side. I prefer the look of the aftermarket off road bumpers better anyway, but I haven't seen one with the spare tire gate still installed. Do you have to ditch that to install an aftermarket rear bush bumper?

Mine has rust as well. For cost reasons I will pribably try to fix the rust and then line-x it. (Here in switzerland its hard to get an offroad/custom bumper legalized. I would totally buy one if they would ship here and i could get it legalized)
Maybe you can find a used one somewhere and adapt it to work for you?

Also, if you have salted roads in winter do yourself a favor and "rust proof" the underside of your car. Otherwise you will have a lot more next summer
(Sorry for bad english here, but i hope you get it)

3. I pulled the plastic out of the wheel wells to do the body work. Should I put it back in there?

I would try and put it back, so that the rain water doesnt dislerse randomly into your chassis ​through all those litttle holes and gaps

​​​​
4. I like the idea of a rooftop tent but the 2nd n has no roof rack mounts. What's the process there?

Drill through the roof and fab one yourself. Use loctite and silicone. But question first if you really need a rooftop tent or if you would rather have a sleepung platform in the back

5. Having done the timing/waterpump replacement, I have not strobed it yet and made any adjustments. I read conflicting numbers on what to set the timing at. Any advice?

Not sure
​​​​​​
6. I paid $3000 Canadian for the thing. It seems to me like it would be hard to sell if I put anything into it. I have been looking at 1st gen 4runners that seem like a better investment if I am to start swapping out parts, tires, installing racks, etc., etc. It's hard to know where to draw the line so I can get a good return from what I invest. I don't want to drop another $3,000 into and and struggle to sell it for $4000.

this is really personal. I bought mine for 5k and out in stuff for another 5k at least. Not sure if its worth it when it comes to selling it. You would need to find another 4runner lover that appreciates all that stuff.
Tried to answer your questions directly in the quote above

Last edited by tbst1337; 08-16-2018 at 08:11 PM.