Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 4 speed shifter positions

Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 4 speed shifter positions

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1980 4x4 a couple of weeks ago. Ive had my 89 v6 for the past six or so years and have done a lot too it. I've used these forums to diagnose and fix a lot of stuff on that truck and never really had to make any posts about my issues. A lot of info out there for third gen pickups. I haven't been having as much luck finding info on first gens so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

I live in northern ohio and bought the truck from central pa. It was driven up until about 10 years ago then it was used as a plow truck for some guys parking lot or something. Dude greased the whole undercarriage of the pickup every year so the frame/drivetrain stuff is all perfect and the front main oil leak kept the engine clean. Cab and bed are totally shot but somewhat solid if that makes sense. Basically I'm trying to get this thing up to snuff mechanically so i can play around in it while i search for rust free parts.

I'm pretty happy with how the motor runs all I really have left to sort out is the shifter. I'm pretty sure the guy bent the hell out of the shifter, maybe to fit his plow setup Idk. He did also have to the tunnel cut out to, I'm guessing, change the clutch from in the cab. I welded the tunnel back in but I noticed that he replaced the shifter bushings with thick washers. I have shifter bushings and the pivot cup thing from marlin crawler and the shifter feels good now but everything is on the right side of the transfer case lever. It not only looks weird but it's kind of a reach. Like punching your buddy in the knee when you put it in reverse. What I'm wondering is where the shifter is even supposed to be, I can't really find any pics or info on it. Does 4th and reverse straddle the t case lever or 2nd and 4th? How close is the shifter to the amp/o.p gauges when in 1st and 3rd? Stuff like that. If anyone has any pics or can just tell me whats up it would be greatly appreciated

It's super rusty but heres a pic anyway

And here's my 89 pulling it home

Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Are you sure it's an 80? your grill/headlights indicate 82 or 83.. but as you know people do all kinds of crap to trucks over the years

there were 2 4 speeds available in the 1st gen trucks,
the L43 side shifter and the L45 top shift. Shift pattern was the same for both
1 3
-
2 4 - R
something like this.
If you have the L43 side shifter it is probably pretty dang sloppy. They suck, not a lot of parts available but from your post it sounds like you have
the L45

you can try to tweek the shift levers by bending them, don't attempt to do it with them mounted in the case.
I had to dog leg the t/c selector (cut and sectioned a bent piece) in my 81 when a transmission I ran for awhile was so sloppy due to interference between the levers, shift to 2nd or 4th and it would kick the transfer case out
Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the reply dropzone I did check the vin when I bought it and everything matched and the title says it's an 80. I did think that 80's were supposed to have round headlights. It doesn't seem to have been wrecked so I'm not sure why it ended up with later year headlights/grille.

I do have the l43 side shifter trans and I did replace the shifter bushings and pivot cup which tightened up the shifter immensely my question was more so about the actual physical position of the shifter when in gear. I've never piloted a first get before but the shifter just feels really out of place. Like it all seems pushed over towards the passenger side. Also in 4low in 2nd the shifter hits the t case stick bad enough to where 2nd doesn't engage. I took some pictures of my shifter in all the different gears and 2nd and 4th in 4lo so you guys can see what i'm talking about

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

Reverse

4low 2nd gear

As you can see the guy had to of bent the shifter at some time cause it just looks like a wet noodle. The t case lever seems fine it's straight and theres not much slop in it. I was really hoping I could find someone with and stock unbent l43 setup that could take some pics of there shifter in gear. I have a torch and am comfortable bending my shifter as close back to factory as i can I'm just looking for an idea on how it sits when in gear
Old 08-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea it does look bent I can get a picture of mine tomorrow
Old 08-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Thanks that would be super helpful. I tried looking at some pics online but it's just hard to tell. Some pics it looks like the t case lever angles towards the driver and mine goes straight up but looking around the base mine doesn't really look messed with
Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Old 08-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Old 08-16-2018, 03:27 PM

That is my shifter in 1st and transfer case in 2wd
Old 11-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Where did you find the parts for the L43 side shifter? New?