Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE Cranking wont start

Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE Cranking wont start

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and this is my first post on here. I picked up a 1993 T4R with the 3vze about two months ago, It's been great to me so far and has never had any issue starting up. Two days ago I took it into a smog shop to have an emissions test performed and upon completion of their tests, the truck will not fire up. Frustrated and confused as to why it so suddenly wouldn't start, I had it towed home. It cranks just fine but will not turn over. It starts for 1 to 2 seconds when starter fluid is sprayed down the TB but no more. I checked for fuel at the rail by disconnecting a hose and it seems to have sufficient fuel flow. I ensured spark is getting to the distributor by holding the wires about 1/2 inch away and it creates spark. Checked spark plugs and they seemed fine. While I was in there I ran compression and all cylinders read between 170-180. I've seen similar threads with people having similar problems to this but I haven't been able to find a sure answer to this issue. This one has me completely stumped as it was so sudden and the truck had no signs of any problems before this incident.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.
Originally Posted by adrianbarbosa
... It cranks just fine but will not turn over. ...
Vocabulary! I think you mean it turns over, but it doesn't fire. Or, do you mean it turns over and fires, but doesn't keep running?

... It starts for 1 to 2 seconds when starter fluid is sprayed down the TB but no more. I checked for fuel at the rail by disconnecting a hose and it seems to have sufficient fuel flow. ...
First, don't disconnect the high pressure fuel lines. Those two crush washers must be replaced every time. Cheaper than dirt, but a dealer item only. Or, you can just take the risk of fuel dripping onto a hot manifold ....

Instead, check for fuel flow by replacing the fuel return line at the FPR with a 1/4" (6mm) clear vinyl tube to a suitable container. With the fuel pump running, you should get about 1/2 liter/min. The fuel return is low pressure, so just hook it back up with the factory spring clamp.

Wait, what? Are you sure the fuel pump IS running? Starts-and-runs-for-only-a-few-seconds is the common sign of a COR-VAF circuit issue. Make sure all the induction plumbing (air filter) is hooked up. (Just how did you spray starting fluid into the throttle body?) Jumper FP to B+ in the diagnostic connector to force the fuel pump to run with key-on only. If it starts and runs now, you've located the problem.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:36 PM

Vocabulary! I think you mean it turns over, but it doesn't fire. Or, do you mean it turns over and fires, but doesn't keep running?
Yeah sorry about the vocabulary, still learning. I meant that it turns over but it doesn't fire.

Wait, what? Are you sure the fuel pump IS running?
Yeah i'm sure that it's running.

(Just how did you spray starting fluid into the throttle body?) Jumper FP to B+ in the diagnostic connector to force the fuel pump to run with key-on only.
I sprayed the fluid straight into the TB and had a friend turn it over, it only then fired and ran for about 2 seconds. And I jumped the FP into the B+ and the same result, turns over but doesn't fire.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
.... Make sure all the induction plumbing (air filter) is hooked up. ....
... I sprayed the fluid straight into the TB ....
Which means you did not have the induction plumbing connected. Why do you think I asked about that?
Old 05-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Which means you did not have the induction plumbing connected. Why do you think I asked about that?
Correct, when I sprayed the starter fluid I removed the intake hoses to expose the throttle body. Before then all of the hoses were properly connected, and after getting it to fire for only a couple seconds with the starter fluid, I reinstalled all induction plumbing before attempting to start it again
Old 07-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Any progress on the problem? I am experiencing similar troubles. Truck was running great, turned it off for 2 minutes to speak with a border guard and it wouldn't start back up. I left it there overnight and came back the next morning to check plugs and fuel(disconnected 17mm connection on driverside of engine). Sparking and fuel is leaking when turned over. After that it started, drove it 10km. Parked at work, started 8 hours later and drove home. Next day it's dead and hasnt started since. Today I found a cracked hose on a part of the EGR system, taped that up. Also found middle wire on ECU 5-pin plug is worn through casing and wire is exposed but still intact. Also manually operated air flow valve in VAF with my hand while someone else tried to start, in doing that I noticed when engine is turning over the flap hardly opens but it is responsive. Not sure what its supposed to look like but even held wide open it won't do anything. Codes are reading 24 and 41 which are TPS and IAT. Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:14 PM

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and this is my first post on here. I picked up a 1993 T4R with the 3vze about two months ago, It's been great to me so far and has never had any issue starting up. Two days ago I took it into a smog shop to have an emissions test performed and upon completion of their tests, the truck will not fire up. Frustrated and confused as to why it so suddenly wouldn't start, I had it towed home. It cranks just fine but will not turn over. It starts for 1 to 2 seconds when starter fluid is sprayed down the TB but no more. I checked for fuel at the rail by disconnecting a hose and it seems to have sufficient fuel flow. I ensured spark is getting to the distributor by holding the wires about 1/2 inch away and it creates spark. Checked spark plugs and they seemed fine. While I was in there I ran compression and all cylinders read between 170-180. I've seen similar threads with people having similar problems to this but I haven't been able to find a sure answer to this issue. This one has me completely stumped as it was so sudden and the truck had no signs of any problems before this incident.
hey man I’ve having the exact problem, I have the plumbing hooked up as well, and can’t figure it out, did you ever?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Levi8282
hey man I’ve having the exact problem, I have the plumbing hooked up as well, and can’t figure it out, did you ever?

YES! Apparently it was my EFI fuse intermittently working. Causing it to do weird things. Should have started small I guess
Old 10-14-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jlaaj
YES! Apparently it was my EFI fuse intermittently working. Causing it to do weird things. Should have started small I guess

I am having the same symptoms as you. What do you mean by the efi fuse intermittently working?
Old 10-15-2021, 01:09 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
Sounds like it had dirty contacts, or one of the wires going to the fuse had broken, cracked, something like that. Corroded contacts are actually a pretty easy fix. Pull the fuse out and put it back in several times. Maybe put a dab of silicon dielectric grease on the female side before you put the fuse in for the final time. I use that stuff on anything electric. Plug wires included. I works like a dream. Put some in every single electrical connection of any kind you open up. It's a small price to pay for the insurance it provides.

Obviously, a wiring problem would be harder. But if you're careful, it shouldn't be hard to identify the problem, and then repair.

Good luck!
Pat☺