84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

TenCrawler's 1984 Ranch Truck Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TenCrawler's 1984 Ranch Truck Restoration

Hello All,

Long time YT observer, first time member. Recently acquired a 1984 regular cab LB 4WD DLX pickup.

The Story:

The truck was originally purchased by a family friend as a "putting around town" vehicle and was driven as such until its planned nonop in 2004. During my high school years (1999-2003), I worked for the owner during odd jobs around the ranch and cowboying for her when needed. This was the truck that I would use to get myself around the ranch to accomplish the various tasks. My wife and I both grew up in the same small town and after my time on the ranch, she was the next in line to drive the truck. Matter of fact, this is the actual truck she learned to drive stick in. When taken off the road in 2004 it had 37K original miles, and 14 years later it only has 43K. It may have incredibly low miles on the original equipment, but it has the battle scars of being a ranch truck for the last 18 years. With all that said, my wife and I are both very happy to have this piece of sentimentality to slowly restore to its former glory.

Specifications:

Year: 1984
Chassis: Regular Cab Long Bed
Drivetrain: 4WD
Engine: 22R
Transmission: Manual
Mileage: 43,578

​​​​​​
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

Welcome to YotaTech!

I thought my truck had low miles at almost 92,000!

It looks like being in California help keep the rust at bay and does not look too badly beaten for being a farm truck.

I love seeing these trucks get restored to their former glory and saved from the crusher.

I will be following this restoration!

Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Welcome to YotaTech!

I thought my truck had low miles at almost 92,000!

It looks like being in California help keep the rust at bay and does not look too badly beaten for being a farm truck.

I love seeing these trucks get restored to their former glory and saved from the crusher.

I will be following this restoration!

Thanks for the welcome. It has survived fairly well, but the bed suffered the most from rust. Always having hay and debris in the bed has left it looking like Swiss cheese. Trying to source a bed and tailgate at the moment. I have a lead on a hilux long bed and gate for $300, but it's a fair distance away. Plenty of other things to tackle before I get there. Interior is gutted right now, washing today, and soundproofing the floor this week and then the interior can start going back in. I'll put some progress shots once I get there.

Wes
Old 05-20-2018, 02:26 PM

Interior Bath

Gauges, wire harness, and dash support still need some attention, but the floor board and rear firewall is clean. Found a few spots I need to hit with the flap disc and get some rust converting primer and paint on there. Fat mat should be going in by Friday.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Great story, it's cool that both you and your wife have a sentimental backstory to this truck. Looking forward to watching.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Sound Deadening Floor Pan pt. 1

Got the rust brushed, sanded, primered, and painted. Put down the majority of the sound deadening material on the driver and passenger side. Will finish up this week. Will need to cut all of the holes out for plugs, body mounts, seats, etc. Tempted to pull the trigger on carpet, but think I'll just use floor mats for the time being, I have much more important things I would like to get to first.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Welcome Wes, Now there are two of us building, rather rebuilding a 84 at the same time. I do have a head start on ya, ha ha So what plans do you have for it?

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Welcome Wes, Now there are two of us building, rather rebuilding a 84 at the same time. I do have a head start on ya, ha ha So what plans do you have for it?
Thank you. Yes, your build is quite a bit farther along and for the time being, your frame off restoration is much closer to what I hope to do someday. For right now, I want to do try and stick to close to stock, but with added comfort and function where desired. Upgrade the seats, new carpet, custom door panels, custom center console, upgrade the stereo and speakers, and source/fabricate a passenger replacement dash pad. As for the body, need to find a bed, new passenger front fender, smitty built front and rear tube bumpers. The engine bay will get a deep cleaning and some paint, and the engine will get a full tune up kit as well as new exhaust. Going with the OME 2" leaf springs all around, probable replace the seals and give each hub a once over. Need to replace the master cylinder and give some attention to the brakes. When the bed is off, I hope to tackle that portion if the frame and get it sanded and coated before installing the new bed. As you know, the list is never done. It won't be a show truck anytime soon, but have most of the parts/plans mentioned above in place, so I hope to have it as a run-around-town rig by the end of the Summer. With all that said, I hope I can do a proper restore someday and let my kids drive it (currently 2.5 yrs and 2 months, so I have some time). Again, thanks for teh welcome and look forward to seeing your build.
​​
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Wow, two little ones, how cute is that. Hope you'll find some time for the rebuild Good luck on the dash pad, I've been looking for a while, no luck, except the moron on ebay selling one for $399 + $50 shipping, What a joke. OME leaf springs is what I used, check out Low Range Offroad talk to Goose, got some good prices and tell him what you got and he'll tell you what you need.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Wow, two little ones, how cute is that. Hope you'll find some time for the rebuild Good luck on the dash pad, I've been looking for a while, no luck, except the moron on ebay selling one for $399 + $50 shipping, What a joke. OME leaf springs is what I used, check out Low Range Offroad talk to Goose, got some good prices and tell him what you got and he'll tell you what you need.
I was noticing that the dash pad has a metal "frame" or substructure under the vinyl and foam. I am fairly cable with foam and fiberglass (boat repair). What are your thoughts on fabricating your own? Three vents and matching angle/curves, no other features, keeping it simple and just doing a matching paint finish instead of vinyl. Mine is completely ruined, so I figure there'e no harm in trying.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by TenCrawler
I was noticing that the dash pad has a metal "frame" or substructure under the vinyl and foam. I am fairly cable with foam and fiberglass (boat repair). What are your thoughts on fabricating your own? Three vents and matching angle/curves, no other features, keeping it simple and just doing a matching paint finish instead of vinyl. Mine is completely ruined, so I figure there'e no harm in trying.
Talk about ruined, i picked this one up at the salvage yard today, thinking the same as you, fixing it!

Desperate times call for desperate measures!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Hey Wes,
I came across this, might be doable, check it out
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-A...53.m1438.l2649
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 AM

Hey Wes,
I came across this, might be doable, check it out
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-A...53.m1438.l2649
I had come across that one before and prefer it over the full Coverlay style cap. My problem is that there isn't enough of the dash pad to properly support a pad like that. I have a lead on one that is crack free, so lets see if it holds true before I have to start fabricating.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:39 PM

I scored yesterday and today at the local junkyard Memorial Day sale. Only had only one 84-88 truck and was fresh on the lot. Only thing that would have made it better was a long bed.

Pair of OEM taillights $18
Tilt steering column $35
Complete power steering system $10
Passenger dash pad with minimal cracks $5
Nissan Altima Leather Seats $35

​​​​

Last edited by TenCrawler; 05-28-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 AM

What color carpet?

Getting my carpet kit for Father's Day. What color blue or charcoal? The truck exterior will stay blue and interior sheet metal will stay blue as well. As for any interior trim places I have to replace or fabricate, they will most likely end up black. I'm leaning towards blue as the base color with black seats, black door panels, black console, etc. Let me know what you think, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails TenCrawler's 1984 Ranch Truck Restoration-download.png   TenCrawler's 1984 Ranch Truck Restoration-download-1-.png  
Old 05-30-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TenCrawler
Getting my carpet kit for Father's Day. What color blue or charcoal? The truck exterior will stay blue and interior sheet metal will stay blue as well. As for any interior trim places I have to replace or fabricate, they will most likely end up black. I'm leaning towards blue as the base color with black seats, black door panels, black console, etc. Let me know what you think, thanks.
I would do a gray or charcoal as you call it. If you go blue then you're kind of stuck with blue for the primary color. If you go gray you can go with a lot more prime colors. Just me, that's the reason I changed over to a gray dash

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM

Test fit of the seats. 3 out of 4 holes line up. Need to fab a bracket for the inner rear for both seats. Hooked the power up and moves very nicely.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:39 PM

New Rims

Picked up a set of 5 used US Wheel model 94 Black Modular wheels. Need a good cleaning and polish, but got them for less than $20 a piece. On the lookout for a set of 31/10.5 AT or MT tires. Trying to sell the stock white steel wheels and tires in the meantime.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 AM

I would do a gray or charcoal as you call it. If you go blue then you're kind of stuck with blue for the primary color. If you go gray you can go with a lot more prime colors. Just me, that's the reason I changed over to a gray dash
I want to stay with blue as the main color to honor the original owner and stay as close to the original look as feasible, but I think you are right about the dark gray carpet. I think it will look better with the modern/custom updates I make to the interior. Bright colored interiors immediately date the vehicle and give it a vintage look, and although the exterior will be vintage, the interior is getting some. Major improvements; Charcoal it is.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM

Sold the white steelies and mounted up my Craigslist finds.

Quick Reply: TenCrawler's 1984 Ranch Truck Restoration