84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Dash Protection

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dash Protection

Howdy!
My new 85 4Runner has an uncracked dash, how do I keep it that way? Normally I just put in a sun deflector in the windshield while its parked on sunny days.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
I've got a great idea.......sell it to me!
How did it last all these years without cracking? I would ask who ever you bought the truck from (PO) what he did to keep it from cracking.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
mine is the same, uncracked, somehow. i thought i had the only one left! haha

i'l be putting a carpet cover over my dash very soon to protect it from direct sunlight, from amazon, for cheap. id love to hear what others do as i want to keep mine intact as well.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

My dash board is completely crack-free and looks brand new (so far...)!

I put up a sun shade on sunny days to protect the dash from direct UV light, even if it is cold outside like in the winter and I try to park in the shade if possible. I like the thick, super reflective foam core folding type that does not sag when you put it up.

About once a month I put a coat of dash protectant on like Armor All or whatever brand of your choice interior protectant. I think the key here is to keep up on reapplying the protectant regularly, so the dash has a chemical UV protectant and helps keep the dash material from drying out (plasticizers evaporating). You can think of the dash protectant as hand lotion, it keeps the "moisture" in to keep its youthful appearance!

If you like the carpeted dash cover, that would keep the sun off of it all the time, so that would go a long way to keep the dash crack free. I have been thinking of getting one myself but just have not gotten around to it. I would still apply the dash protectant every so often, even with the carpeted dash cover to keep enough "moisture" in the dash material to not crack.

Of course NOT drilling holes in the dash for hillbilly cup holders, aftermarket tachometers, or randomly placed CB radio microphones screwed to the dash really helps too! That pains me when I see someone do that to a perfectly good dash!

Old 05-19-2018, 01:41 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I have a dashboard crack free also, the PO kept the 4R inside a garage all the time, I can tell that not because of the dashboard, I came to that conclusion because the colors didn't fade/change. Look at this comment:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52398186
The second photo's an used power mirror control switch I installed in my 4R, the color difference's very visible in person, it looks like it came from a 4R that was in a sunny place.
Besides that, the rear cargo panles used to fade/change colors if they're exposed to the sunlight, but this 4R has the original color.
The dashboard mat's a good option, to be honest, I don't like them, but I prefer that than a cracked dashboard.

I've read in a post I can't find now, the bolts in the middle of the dashboard can cause the cracks, somebody recommended to loosen it a little, that can help to release tension in the vinyl and foam of the dashboard and prevent future cracks, but don't quote me on that, I can't tell if that's true or reasonable.

Originally Posted by old87yota
Of course NOT drilling holes in the dash for hillbilly cup holders, aftermarket tachometers, or randomly placed CB radio microphones screwed to the dash really helps too! That pains me when I see someone do that to a perfectly good dash!
I have a clinometer waiting to be installed for almost 1 year, but I don't dare to make the 4 holes in the dashboard for it!