General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuity ? with volt/ohm meter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continuity ? with volt/ohm meter

So on my 89 22re pickup I'm getting some DTC codes all sensor related and description of codes reads like this(short version)...
replace said sensor
Open or short to ground
Replace ECM
So I've replaced sensor(issue not fixed) am testing wires from sensor to ECM and I've found an issue with the E2(sensor ground) wire when testing for continuity with volt/ohm meter. Normally u stick probes at end of wire and meter starts with a numerical readout then drops to 0 and meter beeps(good continuity) or no readout at all(no continuity) well my ? is what's it telling me if the readout starts at like 1500 and doesn't drop or beep? I'm assuming that its a resistance value meaning short to ground somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong please cause I'd prefer some confirmation before I yank my harness. Thanks for your time
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It means you have resistance in the wire

Now here is the tricky part do you know just what the resistance in that wire should be ??

Might be corrosion, poor connections if any between test points

simple to check a short to ground 1 probe on your wire the other on a good ground .

Not knowing just what circuit your working on this is just normal trouble shooting .

The old sensor tested bad ?? You checked the replacement sensor worked ??
Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
It would help if you were more specific. "I have the ECU disconnected from the harness. I measure between this point and that point and get reading xyz..."

It sounds like maybe you are measuring between the ECU plug "e2" pin to (again maybe) the battery (post or clamp?) and are getting 1.5kohm..

This indicates either dirty connection at the battery post to battery cable clamp, battery cable clamp to battery cable, battery cable to chassis (note another cable to clamp there also) or maybe even the e2 connection to the lower intake..

Short version, yep you've got a higher than optimal resistance somewhere... Diligently measuring each junction should tell you what needs replacement or cleaning..
Old 04-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It means you have resistance in the wire

Now here is the tricky part do you know just what the resistance in that wire should be ??

Might be corrosion, poor connections if any between test points

simple to check a short to ground 1 probe on your wire the other on a good ground .

Not knowing just what circuit your working on this is just normal trouble shooting .

The old sensor tested bad ?? You checked the replacement sensor worked ??
ok here's a bit more info I'm getting codes for engine coolant temp. sensor, my TPS and my MAF. The ECT and TPS are both new and MAF itself tested good. New sensors didn't clear codes so I switched to finding any wires or anything that was a common denominator between these sensors and most obvious was they all share E2 as the ground so I started checking for continuity. all signal wires from ECM to sensors were good but the E2 from ECM to ECT, TPS, and MAF have no continuity
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
It would help if you were more specific. "I have the ECU disconnected from the harness. I measure between this point and that point and get reading xyz..."

It sounds like maybe you are measuring between the ECU plug "e2" pin to (again maybe) the battery (post or clamp?) and are getting 1.5kohm..

This indicates either dirty connection at the battery post to battery cable clamp, battery cable clamp to battery cable, battery cable to chassis (note another cable to clamp there also) or maybe even the e2 connection to the lower intake..

Short version, yep you've got a higher than optimal resistance somewhere... Diligently measuring each junction should tell you what needs replacement or cleaning..
ok here's a bit more info I'm getting codes for engine coolant temp. sensor, my TPS and my MAF. The ECT and TPS are both new and MAF itself tested good. New sensors didn't clear codes so I switched to finding any wires or anything that was a common denominator between these sensors and most obvious was they all share E2 as the ground so I started checking for continuity. all signal wires from ECM to sensors were good but the E2 from ECM to ECT, TPS, and MAF have no continuity
Old 04-20-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Jami Rudy
...all signal wires from ECM to sensors were good but the E2 from ECM to ECT, TPS, and MAF have no continuity
Exactly which wires? A picture / diagram paints a thousand words.