Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?

My dad has finally accepted that his 1982 4x4 is no longer worth keeping around. I drive it a couple of times a week to keep it running, and to be honest it runs pretty well, but the bed is rusting (we've all seen that) and there's surface rust on the roof that is going to be trouble unless it's dealt with before long. And there's an obligatory oil leak at the valve cover gasket.

I've fixed this up enough the past few years, repainted the cab, new muffler, fuel pump, water pump, brakes and calipers, that I just don't have the energy and inclination to get a fiberglass bed and install it. So we want it to go to a good home, ideally someone who will give it a restoration or at least won't beat the hell out of it. The truck has never been abused, regular oil changes and lubed, and I can't think of the last time it was ever used in 4x4 mode. But it is 35 years old--the frame and leaf springs have some surface rust but are structurally fine, I can certainly upload some photos if anyone's interested.

In the meantime, what is a rough guide for a fair price for this, and is there any collector interest in these models? Not looking to score a big payday or hold out for top dollar by any means, the main interest is getting it out of here and into some good hands. We live in the SF Bay Area (SF proper).
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Hi there
I'm sure there will be interest, I for one am,but, you're a bit far away for me
And be sure to list everything it has as options and the model
I do think you should post pictures of it so people can see what you got and know what it would be worth
Good luck

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-19-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 AM

Yeah, it would be good to have pics and more Info.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Checking craigslist for similar trucks is always a good idea. When I sold my 83, which was probably in similar condition (except it had a rebuilt engine, transmission and transfer case), I think I remember it finally sold for around $2,300. I'd have to go back & look, though. I bought it a few years earlier for $1,600.

Unless you've got a rust-free, pristine truck, you aren't going to get more than a couple thousand unless you get really lucky. It's only when trucks of this age are showroom quality that they get "collector" prices. Otherwise they're just old, good trucks.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pictars?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 AM

I just passed on a 83 on craigs, nice body but engine problems Seller would not go lower in price he was asking $2900 Now it's not listed anymore, don't know if it sold or the listing expired O Well

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-20-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Sorry, here are some pics.

The small section near the front driver's side is where I did a test cut about 8 months back, when I noodled with the idea of just replacing the floor with a bunch of patch panels. I quickly realized that would be pointless, that the entire bed needed to be replaced. What you're seeing here is the 'worse' side, the driver's side is fully painted on the outside, as I did that two years ago, before I realized the seams were rotting and causing rust along the sides as well as the bed. The bed does still hold stuff but it's not repairable.

As an aside, how difficult is it to replace a bed, does it take a day, a week, do you need five guys to lift them out and put in? I'd like to know in case a potential buyer asks.
Attached Thumbnails Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?-img_0248.jpg   Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?-img_0249.jpg   Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?-img_0250.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...489796222.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...490977715.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...497822329.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...498263102.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...503424516.html

assorted 79-83 PNW trucks
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jkj2000
Sorry, here are some pics.

The small section near the front driver's side is where I did a test cut about 8 months back, when I noodled with the idea of just replacing the floor with a bunch of patch panels. I quickly realized that would be pointless, that the entire bed needed to be replaced. What you're seeing here is the 'worse' side, the driver's side is fully painted on the outside, as I did that two years ago, before I realized the seams were rotting and causing rust along the sides as well as the bed. The bed does still hold stuff but it's not repairable.

As an aside, how difficult is it to replace a bed, does it take a day, a week, do you need five guys to lift them out and put in? I'd like to know in case a potential buyer asks.
4 bolts on each side, gas filler neck and disconnect the tail light wiring and its off. I did mine by myself and I'm 68 years old

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-20-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
4 bolts on each side, gas filler neck and disconnect the tail light wiring and its off. I did mine by myself and I'm 68 years old
how did you pull it off alone? Taking the fiberglass topper off mine was a chore alone not sure about doing a bed alone? Tip it off? Or just hoist it up?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like $2k would be on the high side as far as price goes on dad's truck.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 95yoda
how did you pull it off alone? Taking the fiberglass topper off mine was a chore alone not sure about doing a bed alone? Tip it off? Or just hoist it up?
95yoda
When you're alone you learn to do things alone! After unbolting the bed and the filler neck you disconnect the wiring to the tail lights and where it's hooked to the underside of the bed. Then you just lift slightly on one side then the other side sliding the bed to the rear of the truck, when you get it to the end you just put down a blanket and tilt it off the truck. Simple, and not back backing. Once it's off you can then slide the blanket to where ever you want it, then leave it standing or lower it down to the ground.
I do most of the work by myself, don't like to bother people. This is my project not there's so I try and do it alone. Make sense?
Another example, I got my compressor delivered yesterday, in the snow. The driver didn't want to drive his truck to my back garage so he just dumped it in my front garage. Well, today I unbolted it from the skid, got Truckie ( my 2002 Tacoma) then I tilted the compressor on the tail gate and slid it in, drove to the back garage, then slid it off and tilted it up. The thing weighs 230lb and it's taller then I am, but if there's a will there's a way, just think

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jkj2000
Thanks everyone. Sounds like $2k would be on the high side as far as price goes on dad's truck.
You never said what it has, engine, power anything, model, ect. It does make a big difference in the prices. If it's an SR5 with power everything then the price might command more even if the body needs help.Post what it has!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:00 AM

95yoda
When you're alone you learn to do things alone! After unbolting the bed and the filler neck you disconnect the wiring to the tail lights and where it's hooked to the underside of the bed. Then you just lift slightly on one side then the other side sliding the bed to the rear of the truck, when you get it to the end you just put down a blanket and tilt it off the truck. Simple, and not back backing. Once it's off you can then slide the blanket to where ever you want it, then leave it standing or lower it down to the ground.
I do most of the work by myself, don't like to bother people. This is my project not there's so I try and do it alone. Make sense?
Another example, I got my compressor delivered yesterday, in the snow. The driver didn't want to drive his truck to my back garage so he just dumped it in my front garage. Well, today I unbolted it from the skid, got Truckie ( my 2002 Tacoma) then I tilted the compressor on the tail gate and slid it in, drove to the back garage, then slid it off and tilted it up. The thing weighs 230lb and it's taller then I am, but if there's a will there's a way, just think
yeah, that's what I did with my fiberglass topper to remove it. I also have to do most all my stuff alone, one way or another.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by 95yoda
yeah, that's what I did with my fiberglass topper to remove it. I also have to do most all my stuff alone, one way or another.
newb here. I am in the same boat. I try not to bother people. I do everything alone. IMO I think that’s a $4000 truck. Someone wants that truck. Have you thought about parting it out?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM

95yoda
Just think on how much we could get done if we had help and no snow............
I would probably would have 2 more trucks in my backyard.
$4000 truck? I wouldn't think so, unless it was fully equipped, which I don't think it is.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=NYHumpinUtah;52391304]95yoda
$4000 truck? I wouldn't think so, unless it was fully equipped, which I don't think it is.

i paid up for a truck, because I HAD to have it. The graphics were right and some surface rust. Floor pans were shot and I spent many a day hammering heavy gauge sheet metal on an anvil to get it just right. Battery tray was toast also. I like it now and enjoy driving it because it had the “ LOOK ”. If I had the propper tools, knowledge and help, it would have been much easier. I’m still above ground and hopefully the Lord will see fit to keep me on the green side of the grass, cause I’ve got a long way to go on this truck. $ 4000 may be a little high, but they ain’t making em anymore. I joined this forum because it seems like a good group of enthusiasts. I hope I can help someone and I may ask for help someday. For now, I just drive on. No snow here. Good Luck on your projects.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Waterfreek;52391311]
95yoda

i paid up for a truck, because I HAD to have it. The graphics were right and some surface rust. Floor pans were shot and I spent many a day hammering heavy gauge sheet metal on an anvil to get it just right. Battery tray was toast also. I like it now and enjoy driving it because it had the “ LOOK ”. If I had the propper tools, knowledge and help, it would have been much easier. I’m still above ground and hopefully the Lord will see fit to keep me on the green side of the grass, cause I’ve got a long way to go on this truck. $ 4000 may be a little high, but they ain’t making em anymore. I joined this forum because it seems like a good group of enthusiasts. I hope I can help someone and I may ask for help someday. For now, I just drive on. No snow here. Good Luck on your projects.
I have to do the floor pans on my truck. What gauge sheet metal did you use? Any pics or I do would be helpful.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Sent you a pm.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfreek
Sent you a pm.
replied. Thanks

Quick Reply: Selling a 1982 4x4 with a rusting bed...rough idea on street price?