Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Getting ODBII on older Australian Prado

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ODBII on older Australian Prado

Hi guys I am wondering if this is the right place to ask.

I have an ECU question. I am from Australia. I have a Prado 90 series ( VZJ95R GKPNKQ ) which shares same 5VZFE with Tacoma / 4Runner etc.

When these were brought out to Australia I do not think they were required to have ODBII. The 5VZFE in it just has the diagnostic stalk on the side of the motor.

I would kind of like it for a bit better diagnosis of the engine health ( has bit of an electrical fault I would like to diagnose but no fault codes so want to look a bit deeper while driving around ) ..

Now I see that the 4Runner/Tacoma? came with ODBII and has the same ECU part number ( 89661-60500 ) as the Prado does.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_199...PNKQ_8404.html
So my questions are :

- Would this in principle work. I see these old ECU's around pretty cheap.
- Would it need any other sensors ( like oxygen ) ?
- Is the code in it the same ? Would it need a reprogram and is that even possible ?

Does anybody know about this or could provide some insight.

Thanks !
Old 02-18-2018, 03:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Interesting question !!

It would be great to have the Toyota EWD for your vehicle .

Since you seem have the same ECM just what year vehicle did you get that number from??

In theory if your engine has all the sensors that ours do to support the OBII system all you would need is the engine harness .

Now if you need to install the sensors it will be expensive and time consuming.

Another question since I would guess this is right hand drive I don`t know if the North American Harness will fit where is your ECM mounted is it on the right side or left??

Ours is mounted on the right behind and below the glove box .

Then different relays fuse blocks ground locations etc may very well be in different positions making a giant mess of trying to use the North American Harness
Old 02-18-2018, 04:31 AM

I am in error I think. Tacoma / 4Runner has a different part number for ECU. When I searched for ECU's in google with that part number some came up listed as 4runner. But when I search in www.toyodiy.com they do have different part numbers. Which makes sense. Since they will have different firmware inside. But I expect they have the same plugs on them. I guess what I am wondering ( and I am probably wrong ! ) is that I could probably wire up an ODBII plug to the ECU I have but nothing would happen since the software inside isn't enabled for it. Something like that. I am looking at the UK spec Prado's now since I think they had ODBII as well I think. Expect someone will come along shortly and tell me why this isn't possible .. !
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
It is very possible but I find it hard to believe you don't have 02 sensors, cat, MAF, TPS, "check engine light" and OBDII, some of the OBDII ports where installed at the centre console where it meets the dash, in the america's they must be within 3' of the driver seat and accessible without tools, perhaps yours is capped and tucked away in the centre console.

What year is the truck, there should be a emissions sticker under the hood saying OBD or OBDII

What is the electrical issue you are experiencing perhaps we can help.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 02-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Most times 4Runners and Tacomas have different ECM part numbers

It can get real interesting .

I am sure you can do what you want nothing is impossible with a large enough budget

I think the real difference will be between Left and right hand drive.

Crawl under and look if you have cats and O2 sensors

********If it has a ECM DUH it has to have all the sensors !!!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:31 PM

No O2 sensor.

Definitely none after I put after market wildcat headers on it ( old exhaust had seen better days )

All the usual suspects on the motor itself of course since it is same motor.

It is also non ABS model.

Anyone else think of any differences ?

I don't think the loom matters since in a worse case scenario would be figuring out a pigtail between the new ECU and my existing harness rather than redoing whole harness.

What would help here would be to compare a pinout for Both ECU's.

Last edited by Connolly Damien; 02-18-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Connolly Damien
No O2 sensor.

Definitely none after I put after market wildcat headers on it ( old exhaust had seen better days )

All the usual suspects on the motor itself of course since it is same motor.

It is also non ABS model.

Anyone else think of any differences ?

I don't think the loom matters since in a worse case scenario would be figuring out a pigtail between the new ECU and my existing harness rather than redoing whole harness.

What would help here would be to compare a pinout for Both ECU's.
I am willing to bet you have an EGR like some older non-OBDII 5VZ-FE have. The OBDII models with O2 sensors do not.

I'm thinking this project is a non-starter if this is the case.

I know it's an old thread but it is an interesting case.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
I am willing to bet you have an EGR like some older non-OBDII 5VZ-FE have. The OBDII models with O2 sensors do not.

I'm thinking this project is a non-starter if this is the case.

I know it's an old thread but it is an interesting case.
-------

After a few more years have rolled on I think the current ECU is on way out. Also possible its relationship with the immobiliser is tenuous. Thinking about recapping the ecu. But meanwhile I don't think this model has EGR valve. It has Charcoal canister. Nothing recirculating from the exhaust. It does have like a flap thing in the exhaust but no wiring for that. Does anybody know where I could find a pigtail that would plug in to the existing ECU harness? i am sure I saw it somewhere awhile ago but cannot recall where. If I cannot find a ready made pigtail will try to find a dead ECU to lift plug off. I have an alternative plan. Going with a MegaSquirt.