84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

To upgrade or not to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
To upgrade or not to upgrade

Hi guys, well I've looked around and I didn't find anything on this subject. I am doing a frame up re-build of my 84 reg cab. I'm thinking while I'm at it to upgrade the braking system. Watched a lot of youtube vids on this but none of them tell you exactly what parts to use. I want to stick with all Toyota parts but have something better then what is on the truck now. So my question is, should I update the system or just rebuild what i have. The truck is not going to be an off road truck but rather a looker. It will have a 3-4 inch lift and be running 31s
Some of the upgrades would include, 1" MC, dual brake booster, bigger calipers and pads for the front discs The back brakes I plan to leave as drum brakes and leave the LSP&BV as is.
The other question is, what parts fit? How would I know what to buy from what truck so everything fits? Anyone have a link to someone who has done this? I'm sure someone has done this here.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-06-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Focus on restoring it to stock, first. If you're not happy with the brakes, then upgrade later.
I have stock brakes on my 1986 that's taken me all over the place. Haven't seen the need to upgrade, yet.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Focus on restoring it to stock, first. If you're not happy with the brakes, then upgrade later.
I have stock brakes on my 1986 that's taken me all over the place. Haven't seen the need to upgrade, yet.
Agreed, I have not had any issues with the brakes on mine. The 22R is not the fire breathing, horsepower demon it looks like.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You won't need a three inch lift for 31 inch tires, and the factory brakes are plenty stopping power (especially if it's not being offroaded)..

And speak for yourselves, mine is totally a hotrod turbo and 12 inches of exhaust, I get all kinds of rubber necking and all kinds of guys hanging out the window with big thumbs up.. Lol
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Ok, 3 for 3 so far
So, you guys wouldn't do "anything" to improve? Interesting.
Any brands for brake parts you recommend, I know Toyota, but don't want to do a re-fi

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 02-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Minor upgrades would probably be worth while. LC60 rotors, V6 calipers, dual diaphragm booster if your replacing the parts anyways it is cheaper to do it now than build it to stock form to then want more and then upgrade. These topics are covered in the faqs. The rear wheel cylinders can be swapped out with LC 1" ones forget the year, but you have to grind on rear shoes a bit.

With 31's you won't have same braking concerns as larger tire crowd.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM

I'm happy with NAPA rear brake cylinders and non-premium rear brake pads, here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...5112-a-301148/

I guess fixing things that broke or were done wrong in the first place are the best upgrades. Things I FIXED:
  • Rear suspension sag with a Zuk mod, and I now have 31-inch tires with the stock height.
  • Starter relay wiring that was done wrong at the drawing table and at the factory.
  • Flawed headlight wiring, again that was done wrong at the drawing table and the factory.
  • Poorly-designed and DIM deck lamp switching, so when camped in the back I would not have to scramble to the driver seat to turn on running lights just so I can turn on the deck lamp.
  • Poorly-designed rear window control, so when camped in the back I would not have to scramble to the driver seat to turn on ignition just so I can open the window from inside the rear deck.
  • The fact that my truck did not have a light reminder relay so I could leave light on and drain my battery.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I've had good results with Centric and Napa brand brake equipment. I just put Napa stuff all-around on my truck, and it stops like it should.

Like others have said, stock is more than enough. It stops my V6 just fine, and I had no issues when towing a small camper.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
...It stops my V6 just fine, and I had no issues when towing a small camper.
Originally Posted by muddpigg
I notice slightly longer braking distance when I upsized to 31's. However, it's not much, I get used to it and I drive conservatively; foot off the gas as soon as I see brake lights or red traffic light ahead or 1/8-mile from freeway off ramp
Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Minor upgrades would probably be worth while. LC60 rotors, V6 calipers, dual diaphragm booster if your replacing the parts anyways it is cheaper to do it now than build it to stock form to then want more and then upgrade. These topics are covered in the faqs. The rear wheel cylinders can be swapped out with LC 1" ones forget the year, but you have to grind on rear shoes a bit.

Ok, slow down, I'm pretty new here..........
LC60 rotors? From what?
V6 calipers from what?
Booster from what?
These topics are covered in the faqs Where is that?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Ok, 3 for 3 so far
So, you guys wouldn't do "anything" to improve? Interesting.
Any brands for brake parts you recommend, I know Toyota, but don't want to do a re-fi
Check Rockauto, they carry a variety of good brands at reasonable prices.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Check Rockauto, they carry a variety of good brands at reasonable prices.
LOL, I was just looking on there
picked these so far for the rear
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=439&jsn=439
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....277243&jsn=831

for the front
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....277243&jsn=759
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....277243&jsn=762
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....277243&jsn=802
But they don't have the rotors
Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:46 PM

I'm quite happy with Centric parts, I have them on one of my race cars (off road). Centric is a seller on eBay compare prices.
Worst thing about Rock is the shipping - preview the sale with shipping before you spend.

FWIW, I would get a kit and rebuild wheel cylinders if they aren't trashed.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM

I'm quite happy with Centric parts, I have them on one of my race cars (off road). Centric is a seller on eBay compare prices.
Worst thing about Rock is the shipping - preview the sale with shipping before you spend.

Yea, shipping is a bit much. Thanks for the high five on Centric, wasn't sure but everything I read says they are good. When I get to tear down stage I will check all but I still want to replace everything. Just getting my ducks in a row...........
I now have all the parts for the solid axle rebuild, all new Trail Gear stuff.So brakes are next on the list for the front, just calipers, rotors and pads.
Just ordered my new 60 gallon compressor to power my new sand blast cabinet and portable unit. Got a used oven and wired it in so I'm ready for powder coating, this is fun............
Old 02-07-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ok, slow down, I'm pretty new here..........
LC60 rotors? From what?
V6 calipers from what?
Booster from what?
These topics are covered in the faqs Where is that?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/toyota-faq-66255/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...faq-2-0-a.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tru...stions.151199/
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19277.0

If you want about the biggest brakes you can get for a SFA rig; Front Range Offroad brackets, Tacoma or 4rnr rotors and calipers. One of the possible set ups requires 17" rims to clear calipers. Only reason I mention it as its not mentioned in any of the faqs I linked.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
And speak for yourselves, mine is totally a hotrod turbo and 12 inches of exhaust, I get all kinds of rubber necking and all kinds of guys hanging out the window with big thumbs up.. Lol
12 inches of exhaust - long or wide?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Well, homework done here's the results:
All brake parts for front and rear, all Centric including: rotors,pads,calipers,drums,shoes, and cylinders:
Ebay Total= $364.41 shipped (picked the best price available)
Rock Auto Total $ 306.06 shipped + $40 return core charge each, $80 refund, Final total $ 226.06
WOW, even with the $34 97 shipping from Rock Auto it's WAAAAAAY cheaper. The big difference is the cores.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:59 PM

Well, homework done here's the results:
All brake parts for front and rear, all Centric including: rotors,pads,calipers,drums,shoes, and cylinders:
Ebay Total= $364.41 shipped (picked the best price available)
Rock Auto Total $ 306.06 shipped + $40 return core charge each, $80 refund, Final total $ 226.06
WOW, even with the $34 97 shipping from Rock Auto it's WAAAAAAY cheaper. The big difference is the cores.
Interesting, the Rock prices may be from a retailer or wholesaler buyout. I would still rebuild the cylinders - just sayin
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
I've had good results with Centric and Napa brand brake equipment. I just put Napa stuff all-around on my truck, and it stops like it should.

Like others have said, stock is more than enough. It stops my V6 just fine, and I had no issues when towing a small camper.
Irab88
Stock is fine if you already have a V6
Is yours a V6 with the V6 calipers, dual booster, 1" master and vented rotors? What year is your truck and will the parts from yours fit mine?
Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Anybody know what brand this is?

Quick Reply: To upgrade or not to upgrade